1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Swan Song’: Making a ‘Dallas’ Classic

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Richard Channing, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    @Rove maybe if they had made this the very last episode, perhaps they would’ve put BBG that final scene. I slightly misread a line in your post. I thought you said ‘Several years of love, heartbreak, sex, scandal, blackmailing and cross-dressing. Oh well it was probably the only thing the show didn’t do ;-)

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    That's what Dynasty was for! :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    I think most of the fans would have been very disappointed if Dallas had ended with season eight. I do know someone who quit watching after Bobby "died" though. Bobby was her favorite character, and she felt like without Bobby, there was nobody left for her to pull for.

Women loved Bobby so much! While I think bringing him back was a bad decision because of what it did to the show's credibility, I can understand why they did it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,701
    Hindsight informs us it would have been the perfect ending. Foresight (at the time) informs us it would have been the perfect ending due to what was to come. Plus the title of the episode sums it up beautifully...Swan Song...poetic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I’ve always said there were three potential natural endings for Dallas.

1. If the show had ended with swan song it would have been the prefect ending. And bar the blip of the Donna Reed casting, we would have looked back at the series as more or less perfect from beginning to end. Plus the audience would have been left wondering where on earth the Ewing’s would have gone next.

2. Blast from the Past. So there may have been a dip in quality after Bobby’s death. But to end the series as a whole with Bobby returning in the shower would have been one of the greatest WTF moments in TV history (for the right reasons). The audience would have had to
    Make their own conclusion as to what happened.

3. Fall of the house of Ewing. Maybe the most natural Ending? Ewing’s Oil has been destroyed, JR and Sue Ellen have finally found happiness, there’s a question mark over whether Ray and Donna are finished and Pam can finally have children. It just seems like an ending. And then a final twist of blowing up the heroine at the end

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,701
    I chose option 1 as Swan Song has a natural end feel to it. Leave the audience wanting more for a potential comeback.

• Agree Agree x 1