1.34 ratings for the Pilot (TERRIBLE) Plus my review...

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by MarkSinacori, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    They could have handled Matthew worse here. That's what I was saying. Maybe meaner. I'd have had him slap the crap out of Cristal. Maybe Blake goes to hunt him down...something like that. Then the two fight. Something like that. He was too nice. If it's a different version, they don't have to keep it all the same. I'd have made Matthew really mean here.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,008
    Why would you make Matthew mean? That's too easy it takes away from why Krystle was with him in the first place even though he was already married. She fell in love, because Matthew was a good person. That's the whole achy horribleness of that original story. This new show could never top that especially not wrapping it up in 45 minutes when the original had a 3 hour pilot and most of a season to do it. Making him mean would make it too black and white and too basic.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Y'all want this to fail so bad that you aren't putting context into the ratings. Riverdale's ratings last year were the same of worse than Dynasty. Positive word of mouth and the Netflix deal, which Dynasty also has, is how they were able to build ratings to what they are now. On a small network like the CW these ratings are fine for now. This is a soap, let's see if it builds.

None of the original soaps started out perfect. Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest or even Melrose Place. Let's see how things develop before being so negative.

As for the opening credits I keep seeing mentioned, that is based on the network. They aren't allowed an opening. Same thing happened with Melrose Place which had an opening produced and were told they couldn't use it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,008
    To be fair I think most of us don't want it to fail and have been pleasantly surprised by the show. Most of the reviews on here have been fairly positive except for @MarkSinacori's who's main gripe seems to bizarrely be the lack of a theme tune and opening credit sequence and that the add breaks don't go where he would like them to go.

Everyone else seems to have enjoyed it and just hope it keeps improving.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,868
    You might want to read the episode review thread before jumping to conclusions like this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,295
    I beg to differ. DYNASTY started out perfect, both in characters and story.
    As for wanting it to fail, what would I or anybody else have to gain from that? Nor is our opinion that important that the CW will say "well, we were thinking of renewing, but five posters on soapchat hate it." Many posters here (myself included) have pointed out both negative and positive aspects.

They just had so much good material to work with and it looks like they didn't really take advantage of it. Can it improve? I doubt there is another way it can go. :D

As for Riverdale, which had similar premiere ratings but its lead-in (Supernatural) was weaker than nuDYNASTY's this year, it looked right from the beginning it knew where it wanted to go, both in story and style. nuDYNASTY seems less confident. We shall see.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Not only have I read the episode thread but I've ever just about every thread on this forum and overall I do think many have been dooming it to fail not only here but other places with people familiar with the old show. Opinion is more mixed now that it's been released but I do think that's an accurate assessment based on what I've seen.

Well condensing that three hour pilot into a one hour pilot I think they did pretty good. It's a pilot so I don't expect perfection but I also don't think the first season of Dynasty was perfect. It was really strong but had things that didn't work as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,295
    I think Lindsay and Walter were the two things that did not work--but it was the most tightly written season of a soap.

As for condensing it, why did they have to? Nobody forced them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,209
    People who falsely accuse with defensive lines like "y'all want this to fail" usually realize there's something wrong with the product and are already looking to shift blame for its demise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,008
    Well I don't think that The CW would do a 2 hour pilot never mind 3 hours so they were kind of forced to condense it if they wanted to cover all the ground the original did. And I think they managed that pretty well if I'm honest. I wasn't sitting there thinking "This is terrible" the whole time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,295
    Around the world we never saw a 3 hour pilot, just three episodes of DYNASTY. So they could have easily done that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    That's not what I was doing I just don't understand a lot of the hand wringing when the original wasn't very good overall. If this was Knots Landing I'd understand but Dynasty was far from perfect. Fans came out hard against this show before they even filmed the pilot which is what I was commenting on. Dallas TNT burned a lot of people though so it's justified if people do feel that way, I was simply mentioning it.

Also in general the tv landscape is different. Live ratings don't determine the success of a show as Riverdale which struggled to hit 1 million viewers proved last year. In order to know its success it's going to take weeks to look at the live rating and DVR trends not to mention the streaming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,008
    I don't think people were as negative as you say they were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    So many of you "foolishly" started with "The opening credits! This is how I want them to be..." and deep down I knew we weren't getting any. If they aren't there in episode 2, we aren't getting them. The writing is so bad. The writers aren't taking risks. They are too tame unlike the original ones. That catfight should have been longer. Okay, so it's a re-make...whatever.

I predicted the cancellation of all these soaps that were this type of feel. They didn't last long after Melrose Place/BH 090210/ PO5 ended in 1999/2000. The writers just aren't as good as the older ones were.

And, yes, cutting out the intro for commercials is a good move! NOT!

15. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Do you even know who I am?! I'm Mark Sinacori, damn it! I advocate opening credits. I was so upset when I moved to LA I told my screenwriting teacher at UCLA "Why do they drop them?" COMMERCIALS. Plain and simple. These commercials today SUCK!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +521
    True but the 8 million said their was great interest. I was in Australia the summer before and people talked about it everywhere and they dropped it their before it even ended. This Dynasty thing doesn't seem to have any interest and I'm thinking because it's a remake.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,431
    How boring, I had expected all hell to break loose.

I have completely lost interest in this show (see @Alexis' signature gif, that's my feeling right now.)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I'd like to see the show get a full season WITH CLOSURE in the last episode produced this season. But it won't wrap up. It's gonna end in limbo. Period. The show will be cancelled either several episodes in or after the season finale airs, whenever that may be. It's gonna end the same way Melrose Place ended on CW, Titans ended on NBC, Cane ended on CBS, and North Shore ended 0n FOX. It won't have closure, unless it takes off and the ratings soar. Being CW, highly unlikely. 1.34 is not good. That's cancellation material. How higher do you expect it to go? 1.8? 1.9 and get renewed?

19. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    And I'm being funny when I say "Do you know who I am?!" Some of you guys may remember me from my vids on you tube years ago. I am all for opening credits and theme songs. No revivals should be on the core 5. They will do away with the classic intro. Look at Roseanne. How much you wanna bet all we're gonna get is the show logo and the sax playing a few notes, then the cast appears onscreen. That's how bad the core 5 are. Better it be online or cable!

20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,008
    Let it go... Shows don't do theme tunes anymore unless they are on HBO and can afford to do what they like and aren't limited to a 43 minute episode. For someone who mentions how much he has worked in TV and claims to be a screenwriter you sure have no idea how anything in the industry works.