1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

2 April...1978...The Legend begins. Dallas celebrates 41 years!

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    Happy Birthday to original 1978 - 91 Dallas and original Dallas cast (only)

The best TV show of the 1980s and a wonderful ensemble cast that will never be forgotten

ORIGINAL DALLAS ROCKS

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,092
    Medals:
    Dallas is 41 years old? :eck: That means I must have been -3 years old when it was first screened. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,535
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    A few candid pics from the whole cast:

upload_2019-4-2_23-15-10.png upload_2019-4-2_23-21-19.png

upload_2019-4-2_23-22-21.png

upload_2019-4-2_23-22-56.png

upload_2019-4-2_23-24-36.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,535
    Medals:
    And a few more videos from my Supersoaps YT channel:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,535
    Medals:
    Now a bit of Dallas history from my own. When the show ended in 1992 in Catalonia (Spain), I decided to edit a homemade documentary about the series. I put together a lot of interviews, scenes and other stuff from the actors, and finished this work that lasted 4 HOURS. This is the cover I made for the VHS tape, because I made it on that format...The title says it all: "All About Dallas". I still have a copy of it on .avi but I´m afraid it would be a copyright hell to upload it on YouTube. Besides, the video editing was pretty poor back then, and some interviews featured a voice-over translating it.

upload_2019-4-2_23-40-59.png
    It was quite comprehensive, and it dealt with the beginnings (including images of actors who weren´t finally cast, like Mary Frann, Robert Foxworth and Judith Chapman), the introduction of every major actor and character, the progressive popularity of the show and the Who Shot JR phenomenon, the appearance of Knots Landing and the other rivals, the firing and / or defection of the main stars (with a clip of Margaret Michaels from "Santa Barbara"), and, finally, notes about its (awful) ending, and special chapters for the cast´s other movies and series. It ended with Sue Ellen and J.R. at the movies from the Season 11 cliffhanger, and him saying "Burn it", and Sue Ellen answering: "Never". Meta-End of the documentary.

I had a lot of fun editing it and used pieces of interviews from the "E! True Hollywood Special", from 2 Italian Tele 5 interviews, from 2 Spanish interviews with Charlene (lots of fun with her!), and bits of a never-seen-again interview with Victoria complaining about her lack of privacy when the show hit it big. So much fun that I did my own sequels: "The cast, after Dallas" (or something like that, showing clips of their TVM´s and movies) and also specials for "Knots Landing", "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest", each of them running over an hour. For the latter, since it never had any kind of reunion, I used parts of interviews with Ana-Alicia and Susan Sullivan, and also with Kim Novak. And lots of clips...

I also made another last special called "Soap Wars" with each cliffhanger chronologically, year by year, from "Dallas" ("John Ewing III") to the ending of "Knots Landing" in 1993. All major soaps included, of course: "Dienasty", "Falcon Crest", "Flamingo Road" and "The Colbys" too. I want to make a shorter version of this special and upload it to my channel.

upload_2019-4-3_0-7-24.png

"Dynasty" and co. Cover for my second making-of...​

This was a time with no internet, and all the images you could get, you had to CATCH them by taping them from the TV!! Those good old days, I myself am not missing them at all...except for watching "Dallas" weekly, of course...One could feel very alone being a soap fan, back then. This is A LOT better, here, with you all...

upload_2019-4-3_0-0-18.jpeg

:spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    Dallas will never be forgotten. It has it's place in television history thanks to the whole Who Shot JR phenomenon.

Gawd, I love this show very much. :love3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    I would absolutely love a copy of All About Dallas. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,346
    A long time ago ... 41 years have passed since the beginning of Dallas, but we are also in another century.

I still have my old diaries full of clippings taken from magazines and then stuck (horror!).

And I hand-copied all the interviews, not having a computer in 1981/1986.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    That's an understatement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    What really resonates about Dallas is how it utterly changed the television landscape forever. Without Dallas would there have been a Dynasty, Falcon Crest or L.A. Law? Dallas changed how we viewed television. It just wasn't about popcorn entertainment with series like Six Million Dollar Man, Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, The Dukes of Hazzard etc. Dallas proved to the television executives there was a craving from viewers for adult contemporary drama. And let's give praise to the one and only...

JR Ewing.jpg
    J.R. Ewing​
    A character we should have loathed but ultimately fell in love with. Someone who took great pleasure in destroying or making other people's lives a misery...all for our entertainment.

:bravo:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    I hated JR, but loved him as well. Hagman gave nothing but his all when he was playing the character. I despised the way he carried on with Pam but that was because of how good the scripts were & Larry's stellar performance as usual. There will never be another JR Ewing. The way he threatened people, like Pam in the video below was a joy to behold. He truly was the man we loved to hate & he made Dallas into the worldwide hit which the show so deserved to be. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,535
    Medals:
    Miss Piggy and moi want to thank Monsieur le Ome and all the other mods for putting up there the link to my site Supersoaps. We are truly thankful for it and have sent him a can of Lane Balouga Caviar and and a box of Dom Deveraux champagne. Let´s hope he doesn´t look at the expiry dates...

upload_2019-4-8_21-5-37.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    Whenever JR and Pam shared a scene we all knew something special was about to happen. That's it....I'm off to watch Lorimar Dallas again :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    I watched the first 3 episodes last night; Diggers Daughter, Lessons and Spy in the House. I've just realised how much screen time was allocated to Lucy. I still get annoyed by her though.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    The character of Lucy wasn't really much of a focus in the show really, when we get down to it.

We all wanted to see more of JR & Bobby, Cliff & Pam, Digger & Jock. However I still firmly believe the character of Miss Ellie was crucial to the show as she was the main characters Mother especially when we lost Jim Davis, her character represented the family & her maternal power over both JR & Bobby can't be so easily dismissed.

The show was so very well cast. The Producers got it right from day one. I absolutely love this show. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,102
    Medals:

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)