20 Years on SoapChat's 'Dynasty' Page --- Your Memories?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Well, here we are, twenty years into Soapchat's existence. Colin Hunter started the site, along with UltimateDallas, in 1997... (I, for one, registered in September 2000 --- but had to re-register the following February).

Most of you haven't been around quite as long as that, and we lost many members -- and every post, which counted in the millions -- when the site infamously and mysteriously crashed 13 months ago.

But what are your memories of the forum? What was it that made you register all those years ago (or in more recent years, if that applies). Can you remember how you found the forum, when you first registered? Who was here? Who you spoke with with the most?

What were your favorite threads?

Anybody not yet alive in 1997, and simply waiting in heaven to descend to earth and post on SoapChat??

Was there any particular period when you felt the DYNASTY forum was on fire? When it was the bitchiest? What lost threads, and lost members, do you miss the most?

Also, does anyone have any old screenshots of the forum?

Feel free to share what, and go where, you choose...

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    This is a fun thread. Well I think I joined in the mid 2000s. Must have stumbled across it somehow, before it I visited a couple of sites, but this was always the bitchiest.

My favourite posts are James From London's - especially the rewatching. I'm sad they disappeared with the old site, and sadder that he never got to finish Season 5.

Other notable members - Mimi (who I miss), Snarky and his incarnations, Gabriel Maxwell, Dynastie Cest Riche (aka that French Girl).

Best catfights: Snarky vs the French Girl

Worst catfights: Snarky vs Gabriel please kiss and make up!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    We newbies (although I did lurk in some Dynasty forum in the past, it was connected to Soapnet) would like to know more about these! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    Well, move over "Sister Dearest".

I discovered Ultimate Dallas because of my frenetic research for Knots Landing info, the Big Prime Time Soap I had never seen.
    I found all the episode synopsises (not that it made any sense since I didn't know who-was-who) and I think they were posted on another site anyway - but somehow it brought me here.
    And I discovered there was a Dynasty forum, and I knew everything about that show - at least that's what I thought at that time.
    When I watched Dynasty for the first time (and the only time, before the DVD releases) I thought it was the most amazing masterpiece I had ever seen in my young life, so my first posts were very fanboy-ish (based on those very childhood memories).

One of the earliest discussion I still remember was about "is Dynasty camp or not" and my main adversary during that discussion was James from London.
    I remember thinking, I must try to avoid this person.
    So I hopped over to the Falcon Crest forum, to join the Season 9-haters. And there he was again, our James, completely disagreeing with me. But this time I gradually started to enjoy the discussion, and I became more intrigued with other people's perspectives, almost as if it added more dimensions to show itself.

It's not about winning. The only time I feel like a winner is when I thoroughly enjoy a series, no matter what other people think of it. The story always trumps the discussion (unless our Dynasty ideas are better, ha-ha).

For a website devoted to soaps with soaptastic and unexpected twists, I think it was kinda inevitable. We out-dreamed the Dallas dream.
    I felt sorry for the members who had spent so much time typing those lengthy posts and whatnot, but it also meant that no-one would ever be able to quote (and bump) one of my cringeworthy posts from, say, 10 years ago.
    So it was both a tear and a cheer.

I don't miss any members who've decided to stop posting, or didn't re-register after the crash.
    Mainly because I simply don't remember them, and maybe I never had many forum friends to begin with (woe is me)
    I always enjoyed member GAFF's atrocious and nonsensical Dynasty fanfiction. So bad it was brilliant.

In all these years there has been only one person I didn't get along with, not because we disagreed about all those Dynasty related subjects (on the contrary) but...it had something to do with attitude, wrong timing, wrong jokes, misreadings etc. Let's say it just didn't work, but he was a very frequent poster, so I decided to disappear for a while.
    Other ex-poster names I remember: Dynastie C'est Riche, Jorich/Jorick, TheAlexisOfEvil (crazy psycho bitch who hijacked every topic) and MarkyMarkFromMarthasville:lol:

My favourite threads? They're still here, which reminds me to bump the re-vamped "who's the best Fallon" thread once CW Dynasty has started.
    I miss the DYNASTY II - Can You Tell It Apart From DYNASTY I thread. And it wasn't just me reviewing the episodes, it had many interesting discussions too.
    Then again, they can't take away the fun we've had discussing it - and it's not like I would want to re-read that thread.
    But there's a difference between "not wanting" and "not possible".

?? When did that happen? Oh well, I'm sure it's all in the past now.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    Correction: was DYNASTY perceived as "camp" - or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    I agree with @Tony that the mid-2000s were the most intense period -- on all the boards (that was when the Swellinphiles completely took over the DALLAS page and I even started a "Sue Ellen versus Jesus" thread in response and, naturally, Sue Ellen won the poll).

I miss any number of people, so many have gone or found their accounts obliterated in last years crash. I loved Jay!'s graphic artwork, too.

This thread gives it to you, his version versus mine. ;)

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/hil...d-trump-associates-colluded-with-russia.3323/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    No, it had nothing to do with Trump or Clinton. It's just inside that thread.

9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    Ok, thanks. Yes I see the following posts go off that topic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    But why? Apparently they don't miss us, otherwise they wouldn't have "left".
    Of course everyone has the choice to move on, and I wish them all the best, but I won't shed a single tear.

Compared to the DALLAS forum, this board has a small community, and that's why, comparatively speaking (number of threads and responses) this forum has as an equal amount of activity, maybe even more.

Even after 20 years, we still have the desire to discuss Dynasty. There must be something very special about that show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    I think it destroyed a sense of history or continuity, so I can't blame them. And with all the ways to preserve a site and its materials, it gave rise to conspiracy theories.
    For me, it's a desire to fix it. Have we done that yet??

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    But since you can't I think it fuels the frustration.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Oh, I don't know --- with digital tools nowadays...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    Not that I don't appreciate a good fan-wank-session. Of all the forums, I think this has the most interesting coulda-shoulda stuff.
    But we can't change the show itself, although sometimes it feels as if the show and our enhancements start to blur:lol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    The show has to be fanwanked. DYNASTY was all about potential.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    I hope other registered users will join us taking a trip down memory lane.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,779
    Medals:
    I originally joined in June 2010, after reading several posts for a few years prior, I miss alot a threads that were started especially DYNASTIER (come on @Snarky's Ghost help me out here buddy :-D)
    One member I do remember was Jason! Boy he irritated me at times with every thread I posted, he seemed to hate me because I liked and enjoyed season 4 and one day I dared to put that season in the same category as seasons 1, 2 & 9, and I honestly thought I had started world war's three, four, five and six, I enjoy debating with people and I think now our forum is a much calmer place and less divisive than what it was back in the early '10's

There was another poster on here who left and never returned and he was good but sadly I cannot remember his/her forum name,
    Dynasty cest riche I also miss! She had a libary of unused Dynasty scripts which I still hope that she'll translate and post on here one day.

Who remembers the two members, one who was obsessed with Karen Cellini and the other who only liked Dynasty during the seasons/years it featured La Mirage! Those two cracked me up!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    Was it Brian Carrington or Colby (from Canada)?

19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Sadly, all those "Dynastier" entries are gone with the wind, lost to the 2016 crash. All that remains are some of the ridiculous title cards:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/dynotsee-the-stars-we-never-saw-on-the-show.2787/

Although Jay!/Jason! made great graphics, and was, if his photos can be believed, great looking.

Heh. We can dream.

The one named La Mirage? Yeah, that sad hotel set seemed to be literally the only thing he liked about the show. I somehow suspect he'll be back, if he isn't already.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,126
    Some old screenshots I found

Dynasty Banner Four.jpg

1.jpg

2..jpg

3.jpg