20 Years on SoapChat's 'Dynasty' Page --- Your Memories?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    Many left before the crash. My question was, why do you miss those members? Were the discussions more interesting or varied or something else?

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,126
    I found this with Snarky, Lord knows why I have this save on my PC.

It was the THANKS & GROANS that threw me, I cannot remember these.

snarky.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,779
    Medals:
    It might've been him not sure, there were several others too that are long gone.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Well, I hadn't thought about it that deeply. I miss Mimi, who left before the crash, for example. And others. Some people just get bored after a few years and leave. Or they get out of the pattern of posting because of other life stuff. And when a site later crashes, and their posting history is obliterated, they just figure it can happen again so why bother starting over, etc...

He had a Canadian flag, I think as his avatar. So he might have been from Canada. I can't really remember.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    It is interesting the different personalities over the years, and the different tones -- as well as the differing tone of each '80s soap page.

The DALLAS page always had an easy time criticizing the flaws of that show -- especially of the later years and some of the jaw-dropping gaffes that came annually during the last half of the series' run (although the wild defense of Sue Ellen, especially about a decade ago, was fascinatingly pathological -- much like Sue Ellen herself)... KNOTS fans were always the coolest and calmest, presumably because that show was so good and so consistent that they had nothing to be defensive about... I have to confess I don't really miss the early DYNASTY posters and their endless "it's perfect/it's supposed to be that way/you just don't understand Dynasty/don't bash Dynasty!" commentary which were intended to shut down any discussion that wasn't praising, their eventually trashing only the parts of DYNASTY which actually worked in order to rebel against the complainers like me... The FALCON CREST crowd always just seem grateful that anybody is posting on that page at all.

These patterns you see on any website. Some folks don't really mind bona fide trolls, because they can figure out the behavior, as irritating as it may be, and they feel superior. What's interesting is when they save their "troll!" accusations for people they don't agree with and who are better at articulating a point than they are -- especially if they suspect the other poster is on firmer ground, which just seems to energize the disingenuous "troll!" accuser. And since they can't shut the other poster up or out-debate them, false allegations are made (sometimes in droves) often spiraling into accusations of abuse, stalking and off-site harassment, egomania, the old "don't-you-know-what-he/she-said about you??" tactic with fellow members in PMs, eventually the "he's-obsessed-with-me-and-wants-my-body!" approach. And, ultimately, the coup de grâce of any unwarranted smear campaign: baby raping.

All because they can't control the direction of or censor the dialogue, usually insisting their own comments are being censored when that isn't happening at all.

There hasn't been much of that here for a long time before the crash, and some of those people probably felt pushed off the page, even though they weren't at all.

But all of that happens everywhere, and I wonder how admins and mods put up with it, those patterns repeating themselves ad nauseum across cyberspace.

I remember having an exchange on IMDb with a truly moronic yet focused poster who was disputing my assertions that the Static Acting Directive on DYNASTY was a real thing. When I'd cite actors from the show who'd verified it (Leann Hunley, for example) the poster would always insist that it "wasn't relevant" because she was a minor player, and when I'd cite John Forsythe and JJ who'd talked about being instructed to be "very still" on camera, the poster insisted they were being quoted out of context. Over and over, back and forth. When I'd say the evidence was there to be seen on screen, the poster insisted that they had fights on screen so that alone disproved my static-acting theory "which has been thoroughly debunked." He then repeatedly insisted that my posts had been plagiarized and reported them as such, in his hopes of getting IMDb to take them down. Eventually, it wound down after hundreds of posts back and forth (it was actually kind of fun, if a tad tiresome) and then when IMDb much later announced they were closing down their forums, the poster reappeared for the first time after a couple of years and said "congratulations on getting the forums shut down."

The exchange had haunted him, such that he credited me with the entire site removing their discussion forums two or three years later. And he wasn't haunted because he was "right" but because he sub-consciously knew he couldn't support his point and was forever vindictive.

You wonder what personal relationships are like for these people, if they have any. Very odd. But ubiquitous.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    Medals:
    Benny? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,779
    Medals:
    That's the one! :-D

8. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    Medals:
    Jepp :D
    Best thing of the Cellini subject was a picture that Snarky posted, with heads of her on a spaghetti plate :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    A plate of Cellini. Part of that old "Dinersty" thread, as I recall:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    Medals:
    :crazy:

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    At some point we should stop using that as an excuse. If you look at the forum we have now, it's almost as if it hasn't happened - it's the number of pages that indicates "some stuff" is missing.
    OK, so we can't re-read a thread from 2006 - but the content of that thread has been re-post and re-discussed 3 times already, probably. The soaps haven't disappeared, the information and opinions are still inside ourselves - but the old discussions (which often involved members who are no longer active) have gone.

The biggest loss were the specific solo-projects, like your DYNASTIER, and several of James' re-watching threads (I'm not sure if he still agrees with everything he posted back then).
    But we have enjoyed reading them, and that's something that's never going to disappear.
    As for members reviewing threads, I'm more interested to read how we feel about the soaps now, in the present time, and not what we thought of it back in 2011 or 2006.

Yes, the crash was a very bitter pill to swallow, and we weren't even sure if it was possible to start all over again. But we did it, simply because we're so passionate about this peculiar format known as "soap opera", that not discussing it simply isn't an option.
    Three members I noticed as "disappeared", meaning they didn't re-register after the crash, are Minx, MargaretKrebbs and Crimson.
    However, I can't ignore the fact that the frequency of their posting pattern had waned long before the crash.
    Minx was a great contributor to the music forum (and she posted all those beautiful Canadian scenery pictures) and Crimson, well, he didn't seem to enjoy anything anymore. Every tv show was disappointing/quit watching/what's the point etc etc.
    Margaret was so nothing-like-me-at-all and has offered me a lot of interesting and alternative point of views (thanks!)
    As much as I enjoyed interacting with these people, the fact that they had already started to lose interest in what soapchat had to offer, makes it difficult for me to miss them, or their non-posting behaviour, to be more precisely.

And our use of the internet has changed. In those very early days it was almost a mechanical process to get online (burning coal, or something like that), people appreciated it more, I think.
    Once online, you stayed there for as long as possible.
    I guess that's what administrator Pamela meant with the "good old days". It was new, people were more appreciative, the very idea to communicate their interest for Dallas with people all over the world...etc.
    Now it's post-click or wipe-poof-gone!
    I don't even think twitter or Facebook have anything to do with it as they're so different and - from what I've seen - so unattractive to use. I honestly don't think all "the other people" are discussing Dallas on Facebook.
    Nevertheless, internet has become sort of an "in between" thing, posting from their Tipitapi Talks full of spelling mistakes (but hey, I'm in a hurry, they'll understand), for quick and instant updates (not saying that isn't an advancement).

Having said that, I think soapchat is still in the Good Days and offers a lot of infotainment, and I would hate to miss any of the posters we have right now.
    Sometimes the tone of the discussions focus too much on negativity (imho) but maybe it's easier to dislike things.
    Being critical is an essential part of the discussion, but it's the hatred and bitterness that takes the fun out of it sometimes.
    I have noticed that posting a picture of Juan Pablo Di Pace has the power to lighten things up a bit, so that's what I'll continue to do in case a thread is getting too depressing.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    I miss Minx and Crimson. They were good posters. And they don't really need an "excuse" to not re-register. And there are a lot of people who think the crash was something less than accidental, so that leaves a taste of bad blood, warranted or not.

Me, on the other hand, can just repeat my points by memorization. Except for those 'Dynastier' entries, of course.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,695
    Medals:
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I was merely pointing out that they probably would have stopped posting on the forum anyway. At least that's how it looked at that time.

Ms. Paige was a very social person who loved to chat and have fun, but she hardly posted in any of the soap forums, which is still the main attraction of this site.
    Without that core, all there's left is posting smileys, maybe that's why she gave up on SC.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Welllll.... you said:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    ... I mean, not that I necessarily agree with them, as I'm obviously posting lots. But I certainly can understand why they feel the way they do. Or that some do.

But does that apply to people who've chosen not to come back? It's sounds a little like you're saying we should miss one group, but not the one who didn't come back because the site crashed. Both stayed away voluntarily

16. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    Medals:
    Ha ha! The best ever!:D

Also Dynasty C'est Riche crediting the show with basically inventing Western culture. Your continued debates with her were always amusing :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Someone clever once described her a blend of ignorance and arrogance befitting Homer Simpson. But then later compared me to her... but whaddaya gonna do?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    Also, a lot more fun.
    :crazy:

There is a lot to love about Dynasty even in the lesser seasons, which for me are seasons 6 and 7.

Always, but I am also very partial to early Lorenzo Lamas. In addition to my Maxwell Caulfield obsession.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    For me, one of the fun things about the gutter crap seasons of DYNASTY is that they're fun to re-do, like a fixer upper you purchase for pennies on the dollar, yet you can never "flip" or move into because there's this weird lien on the property and the name "Shapiro" is scribbled at the bottom of a bunch of forms you can't understand.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,402
    Medals:
    I tend to agree with you about the non-returnees (that is, the ones who didn't re-register after the crash). It does no good to lament the loss of the content, and heaven knows our chief 'source material' (the nighttime soaps) didn't go anywhere. Nor did the site itself; if these folks had SoapChat bookmarked the day before the crash, they would have still arrived at the (thinned-out) site the day after. We didn't invent a new site for people to 'travel' to, then lose people because they didn't "follow us" to that new place. I tend to believe many of the non-returnees were not all that enthused with the site prior to the crash...and that's perfectly fine. Our lives change, and priorities shift. It's not like we never had folks "drop out" before the crash. Heck, the mod team for the KL forum seemed better suited for an image on a milk carton during most of the 2000s. Many of the folks Pamela promoted to moderator would promptly drop off the face of the earth, leaving @Christine and me to wonder if we had bad breath or something. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1