Doctor Who 2017 Christmas trailer

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Seaviewer, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Here's a trailer for the upcoming Christmas special.

I'm not very well-versed in Dr. Who lore so can someone tell me if the First Doctor is (in story terms) literally the first incarnation of The Doctor, or are there supposed to have been regenerations prior to the start of the series?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,855
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    That's a great question, though I have no idea what the answer is, I'm now curious.

I would imagine @James from Lapland or @J. R.'s Piece would know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,855
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005

I've been thinking about this and from what I remember, they number the doctors and I feel pretty vague about this part, but there was something said that a Time Lord can only regenerate 12 times, though that's been proven to be false, so maybe there was some explanation to this.

I think @J. R.'s Piece & @James from Lapland must be lost somewhere in the TARDIS...:thinker:

4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    I remember reading that as well. In the meantime I've found a very detailed Wikipedia article. Briefly it says that there had been an intent that there had been earlier incarnations but this was not explicitly stated on screen and it was eventually established that the Hartnell version is the original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Doctor_Who)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    And another.

6. Angela Channing
    Cloud_9

Angela Channing Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,720
    Original Member Since:
    The maximum 12 regenerations was part of a Tom Baker storyline in which The Master was close to his 12th and final regeneration and he did a deal which allowed him to start a new cycle of 12 regenerations.

In the 50th anniversary episode in which both Matt Smith and David Tennant both played The Doctor, he was also granted another cycle of 12 regenerations so they can continue to change the lead actor in the series.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,265
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Based on these two fantastic trailers how could I not watch Twice Upon A Time today. It's the first time I've felt compelled to watch an episode since the Eighth Doctor's one-off film over twenty years ago.

I absolutely loved it. Such a well-written episode. Really funny and also unexpectedly moving in places.

As someone who hasn't seen any of the revived version I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to pick up everything I needed to know of recent history - particularly Bill Potts's history with the show. I thoroughly enjoyed the references to the series' history and the changes to the TARDIS in terms of look and proportions. And then there were all the nods to things that have happened since the First Doctor's time. It was so much fun to see the "future" through his rather shocked eyes - a world of sonic screwdrivers, browser history and out lesbians.

Peter Capaldi was a revelation to me. Such wonderful mannerisms, facial expressions and unexpected intonations. If the quality has been this good throughout his run I'm definitely curious about checking out some more of his episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    The best way to deal with questions about the "rules" and parameters of what Doctor Who can do (such as the twelve regenerations thing) is to keep in mind that the writers never let rules get in the way of telling the story they want to tell. So even if a rule is set in stone, you can rest assured new writers will come along who will come up with a way to get out of it. You could say Rule #1 is that there are no rules. Which is pretty much par for the course in science fiction.

9. Angela Channing
    Cloud_9

Angela Channing Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,720
    Original Member Since:
    I didn't watch any TV on Christmas Day and Boxing Day so I've only just caught up with watching Dr Who on iPlayer. I was going to post almost exactly the same comments you made!

I'm not a regular Dr Who viewer and only watched the Christmas episode because I thought regenerations are often fun. I thought the whole show absolutely brilliant: funny, thoughtful, moving, exciting and respectful the Whovian history while being current and relevant to today's audience. A brilliant piece of writing. Peter Capaldi was excellent throughout and Jodie Whittaker has a very hard act to follow.

• Like Like x 2