2019 Hatsu Basho banzuke released.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Swami, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    New Year rankings raise more questions than answers
    Details
    Written by Kyodo
    Published: 25 December 2018
    Hits: 70
    [​IMG]

Despite going 0-5 and quitting November's meet with injuries, Kisenosato was in the top east yokozuna slot when the Japan Sumo Association announced its rankings for January's New Year Grand Sumo Tournament.

Sumo finds itself entering 2019 wondering which yokozuna are healthy, and whether the 32-year-old Kisenosato -- who has withdrawn from nine of the past 10 grand tournaments -- will retire if he is unable to deliver a solid performance at the upcoming tournament.

The Japanese grand champion said Tuesday he intends to compete from Day 1 of the Jan. 13-27 meet at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan, but questions about his fitness remain after he became the first yokozuna in 87 years to open a grand tournament with four straight losses in Kyushu.

Kisenosato has not been a factor in the ring since claiming a dramatic championship in his yokozuna debut in March 2017, when he suffered damage to his left biceps and pectoral muscles.

The calls for him to retire are growing with each tournament in which he fails to meet the lofty expectations placed upon wrestlers at sumo's highest rank.

Grand champion Hakuho, whose 1,095 career wins are the most in history, had surgery on his right knee and ankle in October. Although he appeared in some regional tour bouts in December, Hakuho had refrained from wrestling in his stable's morning workouts until last Friday.

Fellow yokozuna Kakuryu, who won back-to-back championships in March and May, did not compete in Kyushu due to right ankle pain and did not wrestle in the recently completed regional tour.

Among the ozeki trio, Takayasu sits in the top east slot after a 12-3 record in November. However, questions hover over his two rivals after injury and lackluster performances in Kyushu.

Goeido withdrew with pain in his right arm after securing his winning record, while Tochinoshin lacked his usual power in November and barely scraped out an 8-7 record.

Kyushu champion Takakeisho, who joined the Chiganoura stable after his former stablemaster Takanohana abruptly quit the JSA, becomes his new stable's first sekiwake. The 22-year-old went 13-2 in November to earn his first promotion above komusubi.

His partner at sumo's third highest rank is 34-year-old Mongolian Tamawashi, who will wrestle as a sekiwake for the first time since the last New Year tourney. His 9-6 November record bumps him up three spots from No. 2 maegashira.

After three straight tournaments as a sekiwake, 26-year-old Mitakeumi drops down to komusubi following his 7-8 November record. By falling only one rank, Mitakeumi will be competing in the "sanyaku" ranks, the three below yokozuna, for the 12th straight grand tournament, a figure matched by only six other wrestlers.

Myogiryu, 32, joins Mitakeumi at komusubi, marking his first sanyaku appearance since November 2015.

The No. 1 maegashira slots have been handed to Tochiozan, promoted from No. 2, and 227-kilogram Mongolian Ichinojo, who went 6-9 in November as a sekiwake.

New to sumo's elite makuuchi division is 24-year-old Yago, who went 10-5 in November as a No. 1 juryo wrestler. He will make his debut at No. 13 maegashira. His opposite No. 13 is former maegashira Kotoyuki, also coming off a 10-5 juryo-division mark.

January's other makuuchi returnee is No. 15 Kotoeko, who earned promotion from No. 1 juryo with an 8-7 record.

Swami

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    I just hope Kisenosato has a good tourney in January. If not he should certainly retire from the world of sumo. It's just a shame he has had such trouble since his yokozuna promotion. I'm also hoping from some new promotions this coming year to the top ranks. I certainly liked Tochinoshins' run in the first three tourneys in 2018.

Glad to see Kotoeko return to makuuchi. It's good to see some fresh blood in these top ranks. I'm also hoping that some of the veteran rikishi such as Kotoshogiku and Yoshikaze make to through '19 with some honourable performances.

It's always great to talk sumo with you Swami.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    You're welcome!

Kisenosato very much in last-chance saloon this time, I reckon he needs 12 or 13 wins to survive.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    Kisenosato "feeling good" after sparring with ozeki Takayasu
    Details
    Written by Kyodo
    Published: 28 December 2018
    Hits: 9
    [​IMG]

Facing the fight of his career next month in the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament, embattled yokozuna Kisenosato beat ozeki Takayasu 13 times in 16 practice bouts.

After missing all or part of nine of the past 10 grand tournaments, sumo's only Japanese yokozuna could be pushed into retirement if he does poorly in the 15-day event at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan starting from Jan. 13.

Fighting consecutive practice bouts against his Tagonoura stablemate for the first time since he withdrew from November's Kyushu tourney, the 32-year-old Kisenosato said, "That felt good."

More than his favored left-handed underarm grip, the yokozuna showed off various thrusting and defensive tactics as he rushes to get back into fighting shape with roughly two weeks remaining.

"I'll have plenty of chances for that (seizing belt holds), but there are bouts when a belt hold is not possible," Kisenosato said.

After going 10-5 in September, Kisenosato missed the final 10 bouts in November with a painful right knee after starting 0-5. Even without the knee taped up, his footing in the practice ring was solid.

"I'd say, I'm fine," the grand champion said.

Swami

5. Michelle Stevens

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    This is reassuring news. The January basho is only a few weeks away and I was curious how Kisenosato was doing. Let's hope he doesn't injure himself between how and the start of the basho.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    He really needs a good start to settle his nerves.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    2019 January Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
    Sekiwake DebutTakakeisho
    • Takakeisho is the first Rikishi from Chiganoura Beya to make his Sekiwake debut since the previous Shisho (former Sekiwake Masudayama) founded it on the 27th of September 2004.
    • He is the first Rikishi from Hyogo Prefecture to achieve this since Myogiryu who had been promoted in the September tournament 2012.
    Sekiwake ReturnTamawashi
    • Tamawashi returns to the Sekiwake-rank he previously held in January 2018 after 6 tournaments. He remains in Sanyaku for the second tournament in a row.
    Komusubi ReturnMyogiryu
    • Myogiryu returns to the Komusubi-rank he previously held in July 2015 after 21 tournaments. He remains in Sanyaku since the January tournament 2015, making it 19 tournaments in a row.
    KomusubiMitakeumi
    • Mitakeumi was demoted to Komusubi, the rank he previously held in May 2018 after 4 tournaments. Remaining in Sanyaku for 12 tournaments in a row means tying the 5th place since the beginning of Showa Era.
    Makuuchi DebutYago
    • Yago is the 6th Rikishi from Oguruma Beya to make his Makuuchi debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 23rd of March 1987.The previous one had been Amakaze in the September tournament of 2016.
    • He is the 52nd Rikishi post WWII from Hokkaido Prefecture to achieve this, following Kyokutaisei who had been promoted in May 2018.
    • Moreover, he is the 6th former student of Chuo University following Takekaze who had been promoted in the March tournament of 2003. Additionally, he is the 93rd Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach Makuuchi, the previous one being Daiamami who had been promoted in November 2017.
    Makuuchi ReturnKotoyuki
    • Kotoyuki returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
    Makuuchi ReturnKotoeko
    • Kotoeko returns to Makuuchi he was demoted from in July 2018 after 3 tournaments.
    Juryo ReturnSokokurai
    • Sokokurai returns to Juryo, the rank he previously held in July 2018, after 3 tournaments.
    Juryo ReturnGagamaru
    • Gagamaru returns to Juryo after 2 tournaments.
    Swami

8. Michelle Stevens

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    I enjoy seeing the new rikishi at the top division. I'm eager to see how Yago does.

[​IMG]

I see Ichinojo is back to Maegashira #1.

Any news on Terunofuji? Is he still out due to knee surgery?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    I did see a report recently where Terunofuji was back training but I really think he has fallen too far, he should have retired rather than plummet down the ranks.

Swami

10. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    Kisenosato breaks even in practice with fight for career looming at New Year Basho
    Details
    Written by Kyodo
    Published: 09 January 2019
    Hits: 18
    [​IMG]

Yokozuna Kisenosato broke even over six practice bouts as he prepares for the fight of his life at the upcoming New Year Grand Sumo Tournament.

Kisenosato won three and lost three of his practice bouts, which were overseen by the yokozuna council, going 1-3 against fellow yokozuna Kakuryu and winning both of his matches against ozeki Goeido.

The session at Tokyo’s Ryogoku Kokugikan saw all three grand champions — Kisenosato, Kakuryu and Hakuho — showcasing their recovery from the injuries that prevented them from completing last year’s November tournament at Fukuoka Kokusai Center.

Mongolian yokozuna Hakuho said he is in “good condition” after skipping the Fukuoka meet due to surgery on his right knee and ankle. He posted a perfect 5-0 record against November meet champion Takakeisho.

The 32-year-old Kisenosato showed a decent range of motion throughout the practice, but lacked speed breaking into his initial charges. His sixth bout was terminated early to take extra precaution when his left leg was driven into the straw.

“My movement wasn’t bad. I thought I was attacking,” Kisenosato said, looking relaxed after practice.

With his career likely on the line in the 15-day tournament at Ryogoku Kokugikan starting Jan. 13, Kisenosato said “I have to fight with confidence, one step at a time.”

Yokozuna council chairman Masato Kitamura said, “I felt (Kisenosato’s) mental strength. What he needs next is sumo intuition. I want him to regain those kinds of things.”

Japan Sumo Association Chairman Hakkaku said the yokozuna was still light on his initial charge, adding he assumes Kisenosato is irritated by his condition.

The council issued Kisenosato a notice to show its dissatisfaction with his performance after he became the first yokozuna in 87 years to post four straight opening losses at a 15-day tournament.

Before withdrawing from the Kyushu Basho in November, he went 10-5 in September after missing all or part of a record eight-straight meets, the most by a yokozuna.

Kisenosato sat out the winter regional tour but indicated his intent to compete from opening day at the New Year meet amid renewed talk of his impending retirement from the sport.

Kakuryu went 7-3 in his bouts against Kisenosato and the ozeki duo of Takayasu and Goeido. Ozeki Tochinoshin, who struggled to win eight bouts in Kyushu, did not participate due to pain in his right thigh.

Swami

11. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    Kisenosato ready for opening of New Year Grand Sumo Tournament
    Details
    Written by Kyodo
    Published: 10 January 2019
    Hits: 12
    [​IMG]

Amid renewed talk of his retirement, Japanese grand champion Kisenosato announced his decision to compete from the start of the 15-day New Year Grand Sumo Tournament at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan.

Kisenosato's participation in the year's opening grand tournament had been in question after he became the first yokozuna in 87 years to post four straight opening losses at the Kyushu meet in November, then withdrew for a ninth time in 11 tournaments with pain in his right knee.

"I've been able to have unusually good practices up to this point, and I'm getting close to (the condition) I want to be in," Kisenosato said after training at his Tagonoura stable in Tokyo's Edogawa Ward. "Now I just have to take on the tournament. I hope I can focus strongly day-by-day."

The 32-year-old grand champion's result in November prompted the yokozuna council to issue their dissatisfaction with his performance and revived suspicion that Kisenosato would be forced to call time on his 17-year career if he opted not to compete in Tokyo.

"His feelings are getting more positive," Kisenosato's stablemaster Tagonoura said. "If he can fight with confidence and compete at his best until the end, the results will come. The biggest thing is (for Kisenosato) to stay on the attack. His body is moving well."

Three days before the New Year meet kicks off on Sunday, Kisenosato, the grand champion who won a second straight top division title on his yokozuna debut in March 2017, appeared unfazed by the pressure of what will likely be the most important tournament of his career.

"I don't feel flustered," he said. "You don't know anything until you go for it, so it will be good to just focus on what I have to do."

Kisenosato did not wrestle during a Thursday training session, concentrating instead on basic exercises. His opponents for the tournament's first two bouts will be decided on Friday.

Questions regarding Kisenosato's future career had been temporarily quieted when he went 10-5 at last September's meet after withdrawing from a yokozuna-record eight straight grand tournaments.

"He's coming in from a good direction, beyond comparison to the condition he was in before," Tagonoura said. "One way or another, I want him to leave with good results.

Swami

12. Michelle Stevens

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,289
    It's good to hear that Kisenosato is ready for this tournament. I guess we'll see if he can dominate or if he still struggles in each bout. I'm looking forward to this basho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,209
    Kisenosato needs at least 12 wins if this comeback is to be viable.

Swami

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)