Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, Nov 18, 2017.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I know I post a lot of threads. It’s just how my mind has been working. Here’s another:

A Porsche convertible races down an open stretch of dessert highway. A young man in his early thirties drives next to a very young girl in her early twenties. Stunning blonde beauties the two of them. He pulls off and into a gas station. She watches him walk around the car. He pumps gas and she says, “I can’t wait to meet your brother. Everything I’ve heard about him. And he’s going to be thrilled you settled down and with an Anderson. Our grandparents were best friends you know.”

“I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to get to Southfork.”

“Oh come on. The granddaughter of Punk and Mavis Anderson married the grandson of Jock and Ellie Ewing. John Ross has to love it.”

“My brother’s not one for those kinds of things. If he had, he’d married Marta DelSol like our father wanted.”

“He was suppose to marry the daughter of Carlos DelSol?”

“That was the plan. Instead he’s a single father, retired from the office.”

“Well I’m sure he’ll still be thrilled. And with you coming to work for Ewing Industries. You should tell him you want to be co-President.”

“I don’t think that’ll set well with my sister. And if you want to get along with her, I wouldn’t go butting heads so quickly.”

“She’ll just have to learn to put up with me.”

“Well you don’t know my sister than. She doesn’t put up and she likes just two people in this world. Me and John Ross. The rest she could do without.” He gets in the car and kisses her. His hand running up her bare leg, her very short dress revealing her panties. “Let’s get a hotel and stay away one more night.”

“Oh come on. I want to see Southfork.”

“You will. Just don’t be in such a hurry to jump into the fire, darling.”

“Oh Bo. Your momma liked me.”

“My momma’s a Harper, not a Ewing.” Bo races back onto the freeway.

John Ross cleans out a horse stall with his very handsome ten year old son, a dark eyed, half Hispanic boy, more angel than human. Another Hispanic man, a bit younger than John Ross walks up to them asking if they’re going to the cattle auction with him tomorrow.”

“Can I go daddy? Tell him Uncle Mateo I should go,” the young boy pleads.

“Of course you should go, Jay.” John Ross messes his hair. “You’ve got to learn everything about running this ranch soon or later and I’m sure not the one to teach you.”

Mateo laughs, “Hey, I’m just winging it as I go. I grew up helping mi Tía Teresa in the house.”

“You were always a little pansy. When you’re uncle joined the service me and your Uncle Drew were sure he was gonna get killed. Next thing ya know he’s a Navy Seal. You sure did surprise us Mateo. Who’d a thought it, you and me running this ranch. Things don’t turn out the way you think sometimes.”

Mateo puts his hand on John Ross’s shoulder. “They’re stopping off on their way home.”

“What? Why? They’re not that far away.”

“I guess your brother’s postponing the big reveal.”

The young boy asks, “Uncle Bo?”

“Yep. He’ll be later than we thought.”

The young couple pull up to a hotel and turn over their car to a valet. She says, “So your Uncle Bobby just gave his mother back Southfork?”

They walk through the lobby. Bo answers, “Because of JR. She offered it to him, oil and all, if he’d come out of the nursing home. He wouldn’t budge. Never spoke to her. She left it to John Ross in Bobby’s care, half when JR died and half when he died. John Ross being the oldest son of the oldest son, that kind of thing you know.”

“So he sued Bobby for the second half of Southfork and all the mineral rights. Won and bankrupted him and your Uncle Gary?”

“Yeah. Pretty much. Drove Ewing Global into the ground too. Picked it up for pennies on the dollar.”

“Your uncle must hate him.”

“Hard to hate the man who paid all your son’s medical bills and put the people who nearly killed him behind bars, including the mother of his own child.”

“Damn he’s a hard ass.”

“That’s my brother. Stuck Harris Ryland back in prison, took control of his company and got his momma elected U.S. senator.”

“Serious? Damn.”

At the counter he says to the receptionist, “I booked a room. Bo Ewing. This is my wife Amy.”

Sue Ellen walks down street stairs at Southfork and into what is essentially Miss Ellie’s living room with new fabrics on the furniture and walls. “Good evening Helen,” she says to the woman lounging on the sofa.

A beautiful, mid thirties brunette sits with her feet up, reading. She ignore Sue Ellen.

“Drink before dinner?” Sue Ellen asks.

“Certainly,” the young woman responds.

“An interesting book?”

“I suppose. A friend of mine wrote it. Buchanan Dunphy.”

“Buchanan Dunphy is a friend of yours?”

“Yes. He went to Andres and I went to Miss Portman’s. We shared many of the same lovers. Buchanan was such a whore.” Sue Ellen hands her a drink. Helen sits up. “But he has a wonderful way with words, even if they say nothing. I read everything he writes.”

“To make sure you’re not in it.”

“Oh no to make sure I am and that he gets everything accurate.”

“You’re Ellen Dandridge.”

Helen smiles.

“Now you run Ewing Industries instead of the Dandridge Group, but I get it.” Sue Ellen’s smile widens. She takes a sip of her soda water and says, “You’re a lot more like your father than I realized.”

In their hotel room Amy tips the young bell boy. Taking a hold of his hand, she pulls him in and softly kisses his lips. Bo watches, standing very close. She then turns the young boy’s head so Bo can kiss him. They kiss passionately, boy grabbing his the stiff young man’s ass.

John Ross walks up to the house with Mateo. “My problem is her mother was a Wendell. And Paul Wendell, her grandfather, raised her. He blames the Ewing’s for getting his father locked up and we’ve had to battle him as he’s taken on Lee Oil and now West Star and everything else of ours he gets his hands on.”

“I get it John Ross. But, well she’s a Ewing now.”

“Hell if it’ll stay that way. Keep an eye on Helen for me. Let me know what she’s gonna do about it.”

“He can’t say he’d be shocked at her gunning for his child bridge. She doesn’t keep her opinions to herself, nor her willingness to do what it takes for her family, whether they like it or not.”

“I find it hard to argue with her motives or methods. She’s the one person, besides yourself, I know I can count on no matter what.”

“Yeah well I understand. Not like I could count on my family. You and mi Tía Teresa. That was it. My dad worked himself to death over a worthless piece of land. My mother checks out. My sister blames the Ewing’s. My brother gets in one mess after another. First time I got arrested was weed he put in my pocket to get himself out of trouble. But you were always there for me. Even when you thought I was gonna go off and get killed.”

“You didn’t.” John Ross puts his arm around Mateo as they walk. “You’re my goto man. No one can get done what you can. That’s why when I thought to pull together those CIA contacts of Ryland’s into a business I called you. Partner.” The two shake hangs and laugh, talking about the time they got in a bar fight because Drew was sleeping with sone guy’s wife. John Ross laughs, “Well, nothing I like better than a little fight now and then.”

“These ranch hands really respect that about you. You take as well as you give.“

Helen walks into an office past a secretary trying to show her in. She says, “What the hell is your granddaughter up to Wendell!”

“Thank you Betsy. She’s got issues with being polite.”

“I’m polite to gentle people. You’re a termite. I’m not polite to insects or the people that work for them.”

The slender, distinguished man, well into his sixties, half Hispanic, sits behind his desk. “So what’s this about my granddaughter. I assume you mean Amy.”

“Great assumption as the rest of your family doesn’t have anything to do with you.”

“So what are you talking about?”

“I’ve heard she married my brother Bo.”

“What? You’re kidding me,” he laughs. “Who told you that?”

“Mateo Ramos.”

The man’s face changes to serious. “Hell if that’s gonna stand. I don’t know what your bother’s done to her, but I can tell you, I’m not gonna allow it.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear.”

“My father died in prison because of your father. You really think I want my granddaughter married to your brother?”

“Your father died in prison because he was stupid. My father ended up with control of West Star because he out foxed everyone of your filthy brood.” Helen stands. “But whatever, as long as we’re on the same page about ending this marriage.”

As she walks back to the door he says, “And West Star now belongs to me.”

Helen turns, smiles and says, “We’ll see about that.”

A television news reporter says, “J. Paul Wendell, announced that the Ello (pronounced L-Lo) corporation, the former Lee Oil Company, will buy West Star in an all stock deal. The new company will employ approximately 14,000 worldwide in more than 65 countries and will ranked number thirty on the Fortune 500. The new Ello will own 15 refineries with a capacity of 2.2 million barrels a day, supplying 10,000 gas stations on six continents. Ello’s surge on the New York stock exchange has pushed J. Paul Wendell’s wealth over twenty billion dollars as the combined company’s largest shareholder, controlling forty percent of the business. Wendell will remain the Chairman and CEO of the combined company.

Ewing Industries becomes the next largest shareholder in Ello with a little over five percent. Ewing Industries is a conglomerate run by Helen Ewing which includes the pure play Ewing Oil. Ello’s operations are all downstream in the oil business, refining and marketing oil and gas. Ewing Industries also owns outright or a controlling interest in the field services company Ewing Construction, Ewing Alternative Energy, Branchwater the paramilitary operation made up of former CIA and military operatives that provides security for many oil related assets around the globe, Ryland Transport which includes pipelines and oil tankers, and drilling manufacture Wentworth Tool and Die. Ewing Industries is also known for owning the Southfork Cattle Company, Cattleman’s Bank, Cyberbyte, and Globe Media, among investments in dozens of other businesses. Helen Ewing is the company’s Chairman and CEO and serves on the board of Ello as well as several other Fortune 500 companies. Ewing Industries is a private company. Helen Ewing owns one third as do her brothers John Ross and Bo Ewing.

The Ewing Farlow Foundation, run by Sue Ellen Ewing, is the third largest shareholder in the new Ello with just under five percent.

Also on the board of Ello will be Wendell’s son Jeremy, having held executive positions with the company in the past, he currently serves as a company consultant.

Chinese Energy giant, SinoQin, announced its intention to purchase five percent of Ello. Long Dia, a SinoQin Vice President, will serve on the board of Ello. Long Dia also serves on the boards of the Russian oil company Gazneft and Saudi Arabia’s petrochemical business SIBAC.”

Bo’s Porsche pulls up behind Southfork. The Ewing’s all greet the married couple with appropriate surprise. Sue Ellen is thrilled beyond words that he married Punk and Mavis’s granddaughter. Jay mentions calling her Aunt Amy and Amy is surprised to see her Uncle Jeremy.

A very handsome young man, with soft, Hispanic features, he hugs Amy and says, “John Ross and I are old boarding school buddies. He invited me over to dinner to discuss family business.”

“You mean the merger of Ello and West Star.”

“Pull our families together sort of, of course not like your news. You do know the Wendell’s and Ewing’s don’t usually get along?”

“Oh grandpa will get over it. I’m the only person in the world he likes.”

“That’s probably true. Well congratulations.”

John Ross puts his arm around Jeremy. “Your uncle tell you we’ve called a truce between our two families? If Paul wants to keep up the fight he can do it along. We’re gonna get along. And looks like you and my brother found us another reason to get along. Say I’m also getting behind his Congressional bid. You’re uncle here’s gonna be our next congressman. Remind me Jer, after dinner I’ll call Senator Brown. She’s an old, dear friend. We’ll get her on board. You should intern with the campaign.”

“I suppose I could.”

“Perfect. Listen up everyone. We’re gonna celebrate. I’m switching up dinner. So give me a bit. Everyone head over to the pool. Mateo can you get the grill going for me? I’ll be right out.”

Everyone gathers around the pool when John Ross walks out the back of the house carrying a platter of steaks. An English butler, about his age carries a try of campaign glasses with a bottle under his arm. John Ross introduces the man to Amy, “This is my good friend Henry. He takes care of everything here. Henry, this is my new sister-in-law Amy.”

John Ross and Mateo start grilling stakes.

Henry fills Champaign glasses.

Helen goes to hand Amy a glass of campaign, but then pulls back. “Of course unless you shouldn’t drink.”

“No I’m fine. Why?”

“Well if you are un peu enceinte.”

“No. I’m not.”

Helen hands her the glass.

Sue Ellen, holding her soda water says to Amy, “I remember your father. What a hellion. He wasn’t too much older than John Ross. A late in life baby, you know the type, got everything, allowed to do anything. When your mother got pregnant they were like eighteen. It was such a delicious scandal.”

“You knew my mother too?”

“Somewhat. Mavis got her in the DOA. The Wendell’s go way back in Texas. She was perfectly in love with your father. Two kids that had no idea of the real world to compete with. The Andersons did everything to help. Your grandfather, your mother’s father, Paul, hadn’t had anything to do with her since he’d divorced her mother, who was his first wife. Your mother was the reason, I believe, they married so young; your grandmother was pregnant with your mother. And, his mother, Jeremey Wendell’s wife, was a very strict Catholic, as I recall.”

“She wasn’t a Daughter of the Alamo,” Amy chuckles.

“Oh God no. She was a member of the Itúrbide family and reminded us she wasn’t a republican on more than one occasion. A beautiful woman. She showed up to very little with Jeremy, but stood by his side all those years he was in prison.”

“My grandfather speaks very highly about his mother. She calls him Principito.”

“I’m pretty sure he was an only child.”

“Most certainly.”

“Most people don’t like Paul, but we’ve formed sort of an entente over the years. Besides he did take you in when your parents died, so he can’t be all that bad.”

“My grandfather? No he’s not. Though you certainly are the only Ewing about which he has anything nice to say.”

“Well he’s butted heads with John Ross and Helen over Ello more than once.”

“What he wants is the Wendell family back in the oil business, not just refineries and gas stations. I’m told JR set up a dummy company to buy all the oil producing assets of West Star, Lee Oil, all the Cartel companies. Something to do with his master piece, so that when John Ross and Carlos DelSol took Ewing Global away from you and Bobby, he was able to quickly put back together Ewing Oil, bugger than ever.”

“That pretty much sums it up.”

“And you’re not mad at your son?”

“He’s my son. What you’re talking about is only money.”

“Still.”

Helen finally speaks up, “As for getting into oil exploration, Ello’s board will never agree to it, I can assure you.”

“Not yet.” Amy smiles and joins her husband who’s talking to Jeremy and Mateo.

Sue Ellen says to Helen, “Stay clear of business with her. She’s only going to stand up for what ever her grandfather tells her.”

“Not really because one thing you can be sure about with them, Wendell’s don’t care in the least about each other except when it suites them.”

“Like the Ewing’s then.”

“Maybe for my father and his brothers but not me and mine. My daddy use to say the most important thing was family.”

“Yet he raised you all not even knowing about each other.”

“Well I can tell you this, Jock’s will tore this family apart. We’d have laughed at it and tore it up. My daddy’s master piece brought us together and not even that little thing,” Helen nods toward Amy, “is gonna split us up.”

Late at night, in near total darkness, Helen meets John Ross out in the barn with the horses. “So what’s the reason he married her?” She asks.

Bo approaches, “She’s a Anderson and a Wendell and she can give me the children I want.”

“A lot of women can give you children. Hell, find a nice guy and adopt. She’s nothing but trouble.”

John Ross smiles, “Some times a man just likes trouble. Ewing Construction is going to add building pipe lines to its operations. Bo will start out as V.P. of the division. The company’s first project, the Keyset Pipeline from our tar sands oil to Ello’s refineries on the gulf. Bo handles the construction. You handle the financing. I’ll handle the politics.”

Helen smiles. “Hence backing Jeremy.”

“He’s a good friend. You can count on him Helen.”

Bo claps his hands together, “Well let’s start it up. The Ewing’s last take over of West Star.”

Dallas Song

Starting in Alphabetical Order:

Linda Gray as Sue Ellen Ewing

Ryan Guzman as Mateo Ramos

Josh Henderson as John Ross Ewing, III

Victoria Justice as Amy Anderson Ewing

Lee Byung-hun as Long Dia

William Levy as Jeremy Wendell, III

Blake Livley as Helen Holland Ewing

Alexander Ludwig as Boaz “Bo” Ewing

Tony Plana as Jeremy “Paul” Wendell

not in the opening credits: John Ross “Jay” Ewing IV; Henry, Southfork’s Manager and John Ross’s Personal Assistant; and various extras