28 years ago

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Arlene Halloran, May 18, 2018.

1. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Time really as flew since the last episode was first shown, on 17/05/1990. A fine ending even if Angela went a little cheesy, still though the one you didn't want to mess with.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    For a show which the majority of the time was blood thirsty in it’s season finales the ending to the entire series was IMHO refreshing. Angela (as acted by the very talented Jane Wyman) finally brought peace to her family for now, as she reminisced about the past, spoke about the present and looked to the future. The alternative to Angela not being there for the send off was Michael Sharpe having the last say / action.

He was instrumental in shaping the new look show (season 9) the way it was, along with a few others e.g. Genele, Sydney and Charley. Despite this it just wouldn’t have been right or fair if Michael had finished the show off.

The voice over of Fr. Curtis during the wedding of Lauren Sharpe Daniels and Richard Channing, (a scene from the final episode, season 9, 1989 – ‘90):

“May almighty God with his word of blessing unite your hearts, in the never ending bond of pure love. May your children bring you happiness and your generous love for them be returned to you, many times over.

May the peace of Christ live always in your hearts and in your home. May you have true friends to stand by you, both in joy and in sorrow. May you be ready and willing to help and comfort all who come to you, in need.

May the blessings promised to the compassionate be yours in abundance. May you find happiness and satisfaction, in your work. May daily problems never cause you undue anxiety. Nor the desire for earthly possessions dominate your lives but may your hearts first desire always be each other and the good things waiting for you in the life of heaven, which begins now.

May the Lord bless you, with many happy years together, so that you may enjoy the rewards of a good life and after you have served in loyalty, on his kingdom on earth may he welcome you together, into his eternal kingdom in heaven and may almighty God bless you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”

Angela Gioberti Channing Erikson Stavros Agretti gives us her soliloquy, which finishes off the series and there is just one more raise of the glass, (the final FALCON CREST scene, season 9, 1989 – ’90):

"Grandfather,

How long has it been since you came to the valley and planted your first vine from Italy? I remember how you used to hold me on the saddle, riding through the fields and teaching me about the land and the vineyards and how precious they are together seems like only yesterday.

I think of all the people who have passed through these vineyards, there's Chase, Maggie, Cole, Vickie and that feisty Melissa Agretti and Erikson, killed in the plane crash that almost killed all of us but I was spared to carry on your heritage.

Julia is safe and happy in the convent and Emma and Frank will both be coming home soon. Oh and Stavros. Oh, it was tempting, Grandfather but in the end, you knew I couldn't follow him and live in Greece. I couldn't leave Falcon Crest.

Training Lance to take over has been a challenge, but I think he's coming around and for the first time, I think Richard and I are beginning to understand each other.

Meanwhile, I'm going to do everything I can to keep the vineyards and the winery the jewel of the valley, just as you always dreamed they would be.

Yes, the past has its place but I'll keep looking to the future. After all, there's a wedding today children are playing, more children are on the way, and of course, the land, always the land. People come and go, but the land endures.

A toast to you, Falcon Crest and long may you live!”

The frame freezes on Angela as she gives her toast and the last line, outside the FC mansion. Fade to black, the closing credits and the theme tune.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Yes, final words from newcomer Sharpe wouldn't have done it for me neither.
    The only one appropriate apart from Angela i could think of would be Emma/Margaret Ladd, coming home for the wedding and the very last words. Plus, she had the very first scene in the show as well, so it would have been some kind of coming full circle.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,271
    Is it really 28 years? I only saw the final season for the first time a few years ago as Falcon Crest was dropped from the terrestrial TV schedules at the end of season 7. I've always thought the Falcon Crest finale was the best of all the US prime time soaps of the 1980s.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The ending was better than the final episodes of Dallas and Dynasty put together, although Knots exceeds them all.

• Agree Agree x 1