Dallas News 40th anniversary celebrations announced! Tickets now on sale!

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Dew Melons, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Approximate cost from Sydney to Dallas-Fortworth $1822AU Return. It's also a direct flight which is around 15-17 hours depending on head winds. This is not even factoring in accommodation costs. Fingers and toes crossed I win the lottery in the next couple of weeks :) otherwise it will be :(

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Ditto. Looking at a bill in the thousands. Not gonna happen unfortunately :( I'll settle for pictures and stories now :)

3. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    So sorry it wasn't announced in good enough time guys. I'm kinda in the same boat money wise, although I would have somewhere to stay. Fingers crossed it does work out for those hoping to go. I'm checking out flights but can see myself having to fly via Arkansas or something :giggle:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Funnily enough money wasn't the deciding factor for me as I've always had an emergency "anything Dallas" fund. The problem was I'd already organised a function here at home to celebrate the 40th Anniversary which happens to coincide with the Easter break. While we were well aware of the impending anniversary this reunion in Dallas appears to come out of left field...and at short notice.

I'm hoping one of the soapchaters is going to represent us all.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Cannot express just how much I'd love to go to this, but the kind of money needed at such short notice makes it impossible. Had they announced it last year then I would have really made a huge effort to attend.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,793
    Aww! Yeah that's bad timing with your event already planned beforehand. :hugs:

I really wish the event would have been announced earlier or that the event would be announced now and be held like in September or something that gives us International fans more time to plan for this. :(

It feels a bit like this event is meant for the people who live in Texas as they are the only ones who can make it to it without making much of an effort.

I checked out travelling arrangements from here today and there are no direct flights so we are looking at one or two stop overs along the way which pushes up the travelling time. It was in between 13-18 hours depending upon different connections. The prices were not great either.

We are still considering it at this point though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anakin Ewing

Anakin Ewing Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone in the Florida interested in a road trip? i'd love to go and sharing the costs for such a short trip would be easier and prob a lot of fun.
    I live in the Tampa Bay area. The 30th anniv at Southfork was a blast and true Dallas drama so this should be a little more reserved and just as fun.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Cast and crew is always talking about how popular the show was (and still is) worldwide. Well, do something for those worldwide fans too then!! Not everyone is able to travel across the world, but they DO have fond memories of the show too and they too take part in keeping the show alive by showing their love for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,891
    I had no idea people did this....incidentally, don't you think the cancellation of TNT Dallas was an emergency? Your big fat cheque could have made the difference.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I agree. I remember reading a story in the paper back in June, 2011 when Larry Hagman went missing while attending a Pop Culture Convention being held in Sydney, Australia. Of course there was no concern as he was in the company of one of the organisers and after enjoying lunch they decided to do some sight-seeing. His wife and personal assistant were trying to contact Larry from Malibu and were unable to reach him. Anyway all was well but I was furious when I found out Larry was just down the road, with his I Dream of Jeannie co-stars, Barbara Eden and Bill Daily. The next day this story was published the three actors were on their way to Perth, Western Australia for another convention before flying home. I had not heard a word about this event because if I had I would have taken a holiday and wandered down to Sydney. It would have been my one and only time of meeting Larry. The icing on the cake would have been meeting Barbara.

But I do get your point about Dallas having that international following. Such a shame Warner cannot get behind this.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Yeah....straight into the duck pond :haha:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. mzemilythorne

mzemilythorne Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's wonderful you arranged your own celebration! :clap: What have you got planned?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    In part it's kind of a reunion. It just so happens to be the 40th Anniversary of Dallas and we thought what better way to catch up with long lost friends and relive the 80's. I know Dallas started in 1978 but to me it felt more like an 80's show. During the day it's going to be a cowboy/cowgirl theme to represent the Ewing bar-b-que. Then in the evening the men will change into black tie and the ladies in their finest evening gowns to represent the Oil Baron's Ball. Assorted Dallas episodes will be played on the big screen as background entertainment rather than music. I've already offered my deepest sympathies to my neighbours as they're going to hear that famous Dallas intro a number of times.

I think it was Karin (on this forum) that enquired about photos. Sorry. Apart from visiting this site I'm not into any other social medium like facebook, instagram, snapchat etc., so I don't share my life or photographs of food like others do.

P.S. All the while I'll be thinking of those lucky enough to attend the official functions in Dallas.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dew Melons

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    Hi Guys not sure if anyone was following the past couple of messages but just need to clear something up about something I said.

When I mentioned that I hoped for better security at this event as opposed to the last event, another user thought I was referring to her friend. I need to make it clear that this is not the case and that that user is not from Scotland. The reason I mentioned Scotland was because (as many of you may know), we do have the ability on line and for the safety of the forum, to see what country you're posting from. My post did not intend to suggest that the fan I was referring to is from Scotland. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mzemilythorne

mzemilythorne Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought
    I know what you mean re social media, it's not for me either. I did sign up for twitter last year, but think I only tweeted about 4 times! I'll probably only visit/post here occasionally. Hope your reunion goes well. It was a great idea.

16. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,891
    What happened during the previous celebration? Did you not have a good time?

17. Dew Melons

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    Oh I had a blast but many of the things that fans paid for didn’t happen - and some fans stormed the event by jumping over the fences - they didn’t have tickets. Things that we were promised - such as a cocktail hour with the cast didn’t occur and basically a lot of people were left very disappointed. I got to hug Linda Gray for ages and she held me tightly as I got a bit emotional.. I was very happy :)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
  18. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,891
    Ah well, sorry about that, I told them it was a DYNASTY party.

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I'm picturing Alexis Carrington at Southfork...an interesting thought indeed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dew Melons

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    She wouldn't get past the gate.

Anyone else made any further plans? It would be good to get a sense of how many are going. So far (apart from friends on here) I have been in touch with other friends in the UK and Ireland, Germany and the US.

• Like Like x 1