Coronation Street 80s Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    After waiting a few weeks for this to start I forgot it was on.

I only caught the second episode, but it didn't matter, it was still a great place to start.

There wasn't much to the story, though coming in at the time I did I'm not going to know what happened in previous weeks. I was torn by focusing on the characters and how young they looked and the set they were using at the time. Looking at the products in the shop was a real treat, seeing some old logos and how the layout used to be, that famous counter held by Dierdre and Alf. Then it was across the street in the cabin with Rita & Mavis. They didn't have a till (I thought what year is this 1967?) it was a drawer that had a bell when it was opened.

Rita is looking after Jenny who's mother had recently died, Curly tries to comfort Jenny by inviting her to his place to look at his 'pop records' collection. Alan Bradley made an appearance alongside Richard Hillman before he was Richard Hillman.

The credits had Brian Tilsley and Emily Bishop, though I never caught them on the episode.

It's also very interesting that the story focuses on Ken & his relationship with Susan who is with Mike, because Susan's death is going to be explored in Corrie 2017 where a current character is involved in her death.

All in all, it was fab to be back in old Corrie.

I can't wait to see Ivy & Hilda

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    A double helping today went down a treat. Mavis is still using a wooden box for the till and I forgot how much of a gossip she was. I paused a few scenes in the shop to look at the products on the shelves, it's like I've opened up some time-capsule. Sally was in the second episode, I'm not sure if this was her official first episode because they knew each other from a pub they visited. I remembered how much Hilda was against Kev seeing Sally, but don't recall him getting angry with her over it, he really gave her some harsh words and Hilda finished off looking rather upset.

Lots of character appearances from Ivy, Ida, Vera, Percy, Bet & Jack, not really involved in the main stories, but still fab to watch all these iconic faces.

I'm not too fussed with the Alan Bradley scenes, he's just settling into the show, so there's nothing like the Bradley I remember. Not that I'm expecting that, it's a good few years before he starts smacking her around.

Rita's sofa and the chair is nothing like the luxury she is used to today.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    It never occurred to me that Corrie could have been quite sexist back in the day, but then I guess that was life to some people however sad that is. Percy talking to Curly & Terry about women. "The great advantage to being a great cook is you don't have to bother with women at all"

There was another similar scene when Alf & Audrey were viewing a house to buy, the estate agent made some comment about the kitchen is the most important room in a house for the woman.

4. StrangerDynastyTreeNat89

StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    Hard to think that these episodes are from 1986, there's a bit of a 70s vibe going on.

Nice seeing Liz Dawn

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I'm really deep into the lives of our famous residents from days gone by. I say into the characters, there's nothing much happening story-wise apart from Gloria receiving secret roses from Jack and Jenny causing havoc over at Rita's.

It's not the stories that matter, but the characters themselves, it's fun watching Kev getting angry at Terry flirting with Sally, while Phylis is trying to make Percy jealous by dating Sam. Hilda getting bitchy about Sally and then upsetting herself when she falls out with Kev

It's also fun looking at the bare rooms in which they live in, not much furniture and very few knick-knacks, but again it wasn't the focus.

I always remember that time when the staircase in Ashley & Claire's house moved from one side to the opposite and now I've just noticed the staircase in the rovers which goes up above the living room.

I was also thinking about how many actors we've lost over the years who are all appearing in these episodes. Alf, Deirdre, Jack, Vera, Phylis, Percy, Ivy, Betty and Hilda to name a few.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. markymark

markymark Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Original Member Since:
    Its noticable how the show was character driven in those days and the characters are so much more likeable and relatable. Particularly stand out for me are Hilda and Bet, both played by brilliant actors.

The rovers looks very grim and 60s with the basic furnishings and the tiny snug, looking forward to seeing the makeover after the fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    It didn't take long to reach the fire of '86. What I did find was that it all happened within the first half of an episode. Bet wakes up, struggles to free herself from the smoke and Kevin saves her by climbing through the window.

So different to how it would play out today. This would usually happen over a full week of episodes and there would always, always be something sinister behind the fire which would drag on for a few weeks while the audience would know who started it and why.

I also felt a real loss when Bet returned and broke down,. not knowing where she's going to live or what she will do for a living. Jack is looking for work in Alec Gilroy's place.

I never felt anything from Rita when the cabin was destroyed by the train crash, or anything from Dev or Stella when their workplace was smashed or burnt down. The factory closing down today has tried to showcase how the workers feel by having scams from Tyrone & Fiz, whereas skint (and can't pay the electricity bill) Chesney & Sinead continue to eat and drink in the cafe/Bistro. No real emotions from the characters like we have had with the goings on in '86

I don't mind the stunts of today any more than I mind the twists along the way, but what is apparent is the lack of character emotions today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    That's another example of it being character driven. The fire stunt was extremely well-executed. And even as a youngster I was sure it was - at least in part - an event that was conceived partly to grab some attention back from EastEnders which was more exciting in general. But as you've both highlighted, it came down to character.

I particularly enjoyed the snide little comment someone made about Bet probably smoking in bed. It's a couple of years since I watched, but my faulty memory tells me it was Vera who made that comment, which would be very ironic.

That felt a familiar theme for Bet. I can't remember the scene you're describing, but it sounds very much like an echo of the episodes from years earlier where Bet's flat was burgled and they took everything, including a picture of her son. Betty visited and offered to put the kettle on, but Bet informed her they'd taken that too. There was such an air of sadness around it. But it brought some wonderful lighthearted moments too:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    The social commentary is fascinating. I hope you'll pick up on more stuff like this as you watch, Ome.

From the DVDs, I vaguely recall a conversation about Women's Lib in the corner shop. It may have involved Alf and Renee and perhaps one or two others. One of the women (maybe Renee) commented that change was happening down south, and the man (Alf, I'm thinking) was certain that it would stop before it reached them. It was an interesting little acknowledgement of the North/South divide which was perhaps more prevalent at the time (or at least was definitely part of the mindset of the character who said it).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005

Just the other day there was a conversation between Audrey & Gail. Audrey has found out about Gail seeing Ian (the Australian Tilsley cousin) while Brian is up in Scotland. Audrey is laying it on thick to Gail that it must stop. Gail says to Audrey that Brian has strayed and he has an eye for the ladies.

Audrey writes this comment off, telling Gail "that's what men do, it's not the same for women, they have to be loyal" The whole conversation was fascinating.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Definitely. And I think it says as much about Audrey's background and character at that point as it does about the attitudes of the time.

As a regular Corrie viewer, do you think Audrey would give the same advice today? And if not, is that because of her experiences in the last three decades or just because times are different?

My main memory from watching this the first time round is that in the scene where Ian made his move, they cut away to some glasses or flowers in the room which made me curious about what had happened.

When I tuned in for the next episode, Gail told someone "Ian made a pass at me". Being young and very innocent I'd never heard that expression before. To me it sounded horrific and for my own peace of mind I had to ask my Mum what making a pass meant. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005

It's not as easy to say these days because Corrie doesn't write for the characters in the same way. At a push, I would opt for the 'sign of the times' spin on the character.

The difference with today's Corrie is that it's missing characters who were always stuck in their way. I'd like to think if Hilda or Annie Walker were still around today, they would be very typical of characters 'stuck in their way' but even then I wonder how they would write for them.

Ken shows signs of his earlier lifestyle and views on life, but it's not the same. The last characters that spring to mind who were still like that are Betty, Blanche, Vera and Jack.

There is an element of this in Roy Cropper, but it's not how it used to be.

If I think about my grandma who is 94, she's still very old school and wouldn't survive on a show in current times, she would be seen as too offensive.

Today it's more about Corrie trying to tell a story, but forever cautious of upsetting the viewers, a great example is with the Corrie bad guys, they have to give them an element of comedy and it often comes out more cartoonish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    That's interesting to know. Thanks.

I know what you mean. Corrie seems to have somehow become more representative of society. It's far more diverse than it would be in real life. But at the same time there are some glaring omissions.

Sadly, I suspect that's come through experience. Viewers would get offended and complain in droves. Some don't seem to be able to differentiate between a character expressing a controversial opinion in context and a series promoting that attitude and in these days where the shows all have sponsors I can understand why they'd be cautious. But I wish they would take some more risks.

I remember being shocked and horrified when Mo Butcher casually used a racist epithet to refer to Carmel on EastEnders. The character's language and attitude offended me, but the writing didn't. I was probably barely (if even) a teenager then, but I could tell the difference. It wasn't shown to be an attractive outlook and it showed the hypocrisy of the character (who, if I remember correctly, had just had a pleasant exchange with Carmel). If it got people talking or thinking about casual racism then that's great (even though it didn't air in the context of an "issue").

I don't believe the correct way to address - and change - sometimes controversial attitudes is to pretend they don't exist and insisting on them being removed from our TV screens and literature. But that's what usually happens today. The only way stuff gets looked at is if it's an "issue" with all the publicity of everyone involved telling the audience why they're including it (the recent grooming storyline is a prime example). But there are far more subtle ways and that's where the set in their ways characters were worth their weight in gold.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Yes and its because of this that I think most older viewers switch off. It's too much for everything to have its place in one street. I understand why they do this, but at the same time, it's not reflecting northern life like it used to.

Oh, you have no idea how the viewers think now - well, actually you might. Lats week Corrie got 390 complaints to OffCom because the viewers found it too violent when a character killed off a fan-favourite. You didn't actually see the character getting shot, the gun was pointing in the character's direction, but the camera went outside of the building and you only heard a gunshot. The next scene was the character lying on the floor dead.

Another major complaint was a character saying they looked like Kunta Kinte after a spell on holiday or the sunbed. I saw this for what it was, total ignorance, but all the same, they got into deep water for airing that scene.

Another big complaint was two guys lying on a bed in a hotel and kissing each other. Viewers were in their droves to report this saying it was shown before the watershed. I loved OffCom's final decision. It was thrown out of the window (so to speak) and part of the report was Corrie did not break any rules and that these complainers never complained about a man & women kissing.

Nor I, because it's far from eradicated out of society is it? Just look at Brexit

Speaking of Brexit, I don't recall this ever been discussed on the show and if this was back in the 80s, I reckon the likes of Percy and others would be all over it.

I thought watching 80s Corrie would be a fantastic opportunity to reflect back on my youth as well as all the nostalgia it would bring, but I didn't expect it to be what it is and that's a real lifelike soap with all the trimmings. It's certainly been quite an educational process for which I'm totally loving.

It's also the little details with stuff like the cafe having a jukebox and a cigarette machine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Absolutely spot on.

I didn't see it, so don't know how intense it was, but from what you describe it sounds quite similar to Ernie Bishop's shooting almost four decades ago. Of course, there were complaints about that too...

Yes - there are definite double standards in place. Viewers enjoy all the affairs and lies and racy scenes. But put a same-sex couple on the screen and those same viewers are suddenly very concerned about the moral welfare of the nation.

It reminds me of the movie version of Number 96 from the Seventies. It opened with a gang rape and featured gratuitous full frontal female nudity. But a brief consensual kiss between two men was cut without any hesitation.

Why do people get so hung up on the bloody watershed? I appreciate things need to be age appropriate, but it's common sense that something shown at 8 or 8:30pm is going to be aimed at viewers with a more mature outlook than something shown at 4pm. Not that a couple kissing is something that a younger audience needs protection from, for goodness' sake. Anyway, the idea of a watershed seems quite antiquated now in an age when streaming and catch up TV means people watch episodes at any time of day.

Oh yes. And somehow I'm sure Percy would have been a proud Brexiteer. ;) It would have been interesting for the show to have explored some of the pros and cons through its characters. But I expect it would have led to even more complaints that they were influencing viewers to vote a certain way.

That's great. From rewatches of the DVD sets I remember feeling very nostalgic seeing the old sweet wrappers in the Kabin and Corner Shop. Even the old-style cereal boxes or people drinking cans of Coke with the old tab. It's like a little piece of British history.

• Like Like x 1
  16. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Not much different to the Street today, apart from different characters, new buildings and the fact that it is set in a different time in history.

The programme is always character based and the special effects and stunts, etc are used to add realistic looking visuals. True they've got more clever and advanced over the years, but that's progress.

How many would expect Doctor Who to still be made with the Fairy Liquid bottle style special effects of the early 60s?

17. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Kevin & Sally were married last week on old Corrie. No deaths, no births, no complications, no high drama or family revelations, just two people getting married, with most of the cast there to celebrate the happy time.

When did that last happen in current Corrie?

I believe you are missing the point. It's not about the props used, nor is it about any special effects (though I'm not sure what special effects have to do with Corrie) it's about real stories and how unrealistic they are today.

Let me try and help you understand a little better.

A few weeks back on Corrie, the factory workers lost their job, they had no income and they had bills to pay. But what do we see happen? The factory workers meeting up in the pub or the cafe to try and come up with a way to earn some money - how about they meet in one of the houses where they don't have to spend money?

Chesney mentioned (during the time Sinead lost her job) that they hadn't paid the electric bill, we then see Chesney & Sinead eating in the cafe, a couple of weeks later Chesney kicks out Beth & Kirk, therefore losing any income he made from their rent. Even later Chesney is more than happy to throw away £1000 to Robert. The problem with today's Corrie is when they write stories where the characters have no money, why do they keep having them waste money in the pub or the cafe?

Ridiculous stories like Phelan setting up Anna and the cops not interviewing Rosie, Adam or Todd.
    Ridiculous stories where Maria is in jail, bail refused for killing someone when they don't even have a body.
    Ridiculous stories where they write Kevin saying "It must be awful to lose a child" to Jenny, when in fact he lost one, but the writers forgot about it.
    Ridiculous stories where Kate suddenly falls madly in love with a friend, having just come out of another relationship.

What happened to Michelle's real son?
    What happened to David's epilepsy?
    What happened to Max's ADHD?
    What happened to Cathy's hoarding disorder?
    What happened to Simon's temper?

Another example.

In 80s Corrie, Hilda is often talking about her Stan who has been dead a few years, Stan features in much of her dialogue, we are seeing someone grieve as well as move on with their life.

Forward to today's Corrie and Izzy gets the dreadful news that her sister has been killed. Move on one episode and she's totally over it, she's in the cafe or the pub with her friends laughing or trying to come up with ideas on how to make some money.

In a nutshell, today's Corrie is pretty much focused on plot development, whereas old Corrie was always focused on character development.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving so much about Corrie today, but I'm kidding myself if I think it's as good as it was back in the 80s when it was down to two episodes a week.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Barbara Fan
    Sweettooth

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Original Member Since:
    I was getting my hair cut on Friday and got home early to see 2 epiosdes on ITV 3 + 1

and i loved every minute of it

Derek and Mavis

Ivy and "R Brian" and Gail

Sally and Kevin, Hilda

Bet and Alex, Jack and Vera, Emily and Mike B (and his wooden wife)

I do wish they would show them at a better time as I only caught them as i was on AL - but it was a real dose of nostalgia and i loved it

Also think its a big mistake to have 2 epiosdes /night now and story telling suffers as a result but all were credible, believable and had charactersi cared about and
    B - could act,
    I agree with all Ome says above re lack of money but in the bistro or cafe - or when they are who is minding the sprogs?

Please ITV 3 screen them in the evening, i would watch religiously!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +42
    People cope with things in different ways.

David does have epilepsy, and the fact that he does not mention it in every episode, does not mean he hasn't.

As for Kevin and Sally getting married, that's only one of many weddings, and they didn't stay married either.

But there were other weddings in the 80s which didn't go to plan, Emily discovered she married a bigamist and the double Mavis and Derek jilting.

Izzy has never stated that she has got over her sisters death, and it's stupid to suggest otherwise. She might talk about her when the documentary cameras stop rolling.

It seems to me that some people only watch soaps these days to pick faults and invent flaws that aren't there. Apart from the Kevin losing a son, which the production team admitted to.

Moreso than they admitted to Ivy having 3 different husbands between 1972 & 1979, & then not, and Vera being a divorcee when she first appeared.

20. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Nothing wrong with the actors of today.

Connor Mcintyre plays evil Pat excellently. Totally different to his real life persona.

I never buy all this 'it's crap now, but the old days could do no wrong' philosophy.

"Coronation Street works on character rather than storyline, and it's all about how the dramas affect the characters" - William Roache, 1990.