Coronation Street 80s Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome for Christmas, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Of course they do - I'm not sure what you are on about here though, it doesn't relate to anything you quoted.

No one is saying he has to mention it in every episode and again you're missing the point. It was used as a plot device and had nothing to do with character-driven storytelling. He doesn't need to mention it, but it would be nice if Corrie actually acknowledges this because people live with Epilepsy every day, well apart from David.

So what you're saying is you can not answer my question on this?

What does this have to do with the differences between the way Corrie was written and how its written today?

Of course there will always be stories like this, but again you're missing the point. Today's Corrie cannot do a wedding without having something go wrong. I'm going to ask you again, when did Corrie last have a wedding like the one with Kevin and Sally?

We know that because the writers and (it seems) the actress has forgotten about her sister's death.

Howe is it stupid to suggest this? If Corrie wants me to believe that a character just lost a sister, then I want to see some character-driven story to acknowledge this, otherwise, the whole thing was plot driven to bring back another child actor into the show.

You don't look very far then because there's also lots of praise for Corrie here too.

There are six episodes a week, one would have to be totally unresponsive to watch the show and not comment on it.

Let me make it more understandable to you.

I am not saying 80s Corrie was without fault, far from it actually. I'm often finding mistakes with the show, however, the characters and the writing is so great that I overlook its flaws.

2. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Apart from the actors who play

Chesney
    Sinead
    Dev
    Sean
    Kirk
    Maria
    Fiz
    Tyrone
    Zeedan
    Izzy

3. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Try reading the comments and you might understand better.

For the record, we're discussing Corrie 2017, not Corrie 1990

4. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    People rant on these days about pointless plot devices, but how can a plot device be pointless? It has a point clearly and how is a storyline meant to begin otherwise?

Take when Kylie was pregnant, it would have been weird to tune in and find her pregnant, and then start wondering whether it was her husband or brother in laws, without actually seeing the stuff leading up to it.

5. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    This comment is probably why you see no fault in today's writing, today's actors, today's storylines.

6. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not saying it's not without faults, but there could be just as much in the 60s, 70s and 80s as much as now.

We only ever retrieve the best from any era of a show that has run as long as this one has.

7. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sally and Tim's wedding in the Bistro in 2015 was a simple event.

Non church weddings are very common these days and people can get married anywhere.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I agree with you.

But I will add that today we will find more faults because there are 6 episodes a week and with technology much better now than it was, it's always possible to look back on episodes. Back in the 80s and previously, what we saw on a Mon & Wed was the only offering so everyone had to go by memory.

9. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Except for those who managed to capture them on Betamax, VHS, etc...

10. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Okay, the 60s and 70s then :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barbara Belle of the Ball
    Sweettooth

Barbara Belle of the Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    Original Member Since:
    Under the weather and off work - Watched 2 episodes that were shown today and really enjoyed them

had forgotten just how good a character actor Roy Barraclough was, loved the trio of Betty, jack and Hilda

I had forgotten about Gloria and fact she worked behind RR, dont really remember what she did

nice to see a young Jenny and Rita and enjoyed the factory scenes, the only weak link was Susan Barlow, not a great actress

Also nice to see Deirdrie and THOSE specs, had forgotten how black Ida Cloughs hair was, and Percy and gravel voiced Phyliss.
    Nice trip down memory lane.
    Just wish they would show it in the evenings or make it available to view anytime on ITV 3

12. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Susan's death is being discussed in the show now, and Jenny and Rita still feature prominently, only older, obviously, so still many links in the show to the 80s.

13. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I think she was in it for the majority of the 80s. She did have a fling with Alan Bradley while he was seeing Rita, but she didn't know he was seeing Rita.

She also had a stalker, who turned out to be Jack.

She's a weak link for me too, along with Curly.

In one of the earlier episodes (this week), Alec was chatting with Bet when someone walked past behind him (in the Rovers) and they knocked the patrician between tables by the window. I rewound it a few times because I couldn't believe it actually happened. Obviously, we wouldn't have picked up on it back.

14. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Original Member Since:
    August 1998
    I have a binge watch of the episodes and they were quite weak and dull and then suddenly it improved just around Christmas 1986

Did a producer change? The interactions with he characters such as Hilda and Audrey is much improved.

I really like Alf and Alan Bradly threatening Martin was quite chilling. I wonder if they always planned for him to turn psycho or if seeing how scary he could be inspired them...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,454
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I'm finding small segments where it feels dull and it's usually when Susan or Curly are on the screen. I have found Mike & Ken somewhat slow, but again, it's when they are with Susan. I also lost some interest during the Brian & Gail fall-out, however, Ivy has kept that fire going.

All in all, it's just wonderful to be able to watch these again and it feels so relevant when I think about some of the current stories happing on today's Corrie.

I've also wondered this, but with all that happening around 1989, I'm not sure they would plan that far ahead. I do agree that he comes across very intimidating and I don't recall his character being like that so early on.

I'm looking forward to the Gail & Martin stuff and how Ivy reacts to this, I have no idea when that all begins and I know we're still a few years away, but I'm really excited about seeing the McDonalds move into the street.

Then we have the whole Des & Steph Barnes, along with Natalie.

I'm also a big fan of all the home furnishings and the clothes they are wearing, it feels much older than the 80s. That being said, I do recall Corrie getting a lot of flack because it felt years behind Brookside and Eastenders at the time.

16. Barbara Belle of the Ball
    Sweettooth

Barbara Belle of the Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    Original Member Since:
    I caught yesterdays Corrie and birth of baby Sarah Louise??

Can someone remind me who is the Aussie that came to visit Gail

and who is the father of baby Sarah, is it "R Brian" or not?? Enjoyed seeing poisoned Ivy, Alf and Audrey and Deirdrie
    Just wish they would stick it on in the evening

PS Susan Baldwin was a wooden actress! she would fit in well on todays Corrie (if she wasnt dead!)

17. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In the 1986 episodes there were elements that are still very much present in the show. Love rivalry.

Terry and Kevin fighting over Sally.

Now we have Chesney and Daniel doing the same thing over Sinead.