Coronation Street 80s Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Oct 3, 2017.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Shows there was intriguing pregnancies and complications over 30 years ago too.

Gail has an affair while married to Brian and, as a result, isn't sure who Sarah-Lou's father is...

The sort of thing some viewers frown upon these days, who think the most exciting and most controversial thing to happen in the Street back then was one of Hilda's flying ducks falling off the wall. :D

As for humour, we now have Brian and Cathy, hapless Steve and Tracy's superbly quick-quipping one-liners, together with the old familiar settings of the Corner Shop, Rovers and Kabin.

The only "real" difference between 1987, 1997, 2007, 2017 or whatever is that it focuses on different characters, that, and Ken Barlow's teeth seem to have straightened and brightened up in 30 years.

2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    I watched 80s Corrie this afternoon and have been enjoying it very much

Lots of Ivy scenes and I always thought Ivy was written out around 2000 - after googling i was surprised it was so far back as 1994 and remember it made big headlines as she got a trout pout and cosmetic surgery and the Corrie bosses werent happy at all and sacked her. I cant believe that was 24 years ago - eek!

from wiki

Creation
    Casting and characterisation
    Perrie joined Coronation Street in 1971 as a semi-regular character before joining full time in 1979. The character of Ivy was described as a woman who had "a sharp tongue and staunch Roman Catholic beliefs".

Departure
    In March 1994, without consulting her bosses, Perrie had cosmetic surgery to make her lips look fuller, but the results were unflattering, and Perrie was sacked from the show after twenty-three years as Ivy The press speculated that her departure was a direct result of her plastic surgery, though Perrie denied this, insisting that she felt that her character had simply run its course. This version of events matched accounts given by the show's then producer Carolyn Reynolds. Ivy Tilsley died off-screen the following year.

Always thought Bert was around in the 80s but he died in real life in 1983 - always thought he was a bit of a wimp and used to call her "my Sweet"

Loving Alex and Hilda and Ken and Deirdrie V Alfie in the race to be an Indep Councellor.

3. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    Watched todays episodes and just how good was Roy Barraclough as Alec Gilroy
    What a great comic and timing. There is no one like that now

Loved Deirdrie and Ken falling out as he printed a -ve story about Councillors on a free trip and wasting tax payer money

and its strange seeing Sally and Kevin, and Ken/Rita look so much younger

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    They created a perfect partnership with Roy & Alec.

Oh, I don't know. Tim & Sally are great together, as are Mary & Tracey and Gail & David.

He's been a complete asshole towards Dierdre. He was behind her all the way when he wanted to beat Alf as councillor and now Diedre is working at it, he's been rotten, saying she should be at home, basically looking after Tracey, cleaning the house and making him his dinner each night.

Vera's mother should be moving in soon, I'm looking forward to that.

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    Wendy farmer turned up in today's episode

[​IMG]

after she saw an advert for a lodger at the Duckworth's. It was Jack's ploy to get a young woman living with them, only Vera had beaten him because she already secured a lodger.

Amy Burton, Vera's mother :clap:

[​IMG]

6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    A few interesting observations from the end credits.

Feb 2018 002.JPG

Feb 2018 005.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,445

:giggle:

This would make Ivy very happy, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    I'd love to know if it was ever discussed by the cast.

We're just about to go into Dec '87.

Dr Lowther and his wife are moving to Derbyshire and Hilda is helping them pack. Dr Lowther went out to by them a Chinese takeaway (something Hilda said she didn't know if she would enjoy). While he is out two youths break in to burgle the place and Hilda along with Mrs Lowther catch them. The youths overpower both women and knock them out, as the story continues Corrie made out it was Hilda who had passed away, obviously we all know how Hilda leaves, but I was totally taken by how they made the viewer believe Hilda was gone. I think her exit is something every corrie fan will remember, so it really surprised me that I never recalled the story of the burglary and how Hilda may have been killed off. While in hospital, Eddie Yates turned up which was a welcome surprise.

[​IMG]

I'm super-excited about going into 1988, this is when Sandra Stubbs and her son Jason move in, with Sandra taking over Hilda's role as The Rovers cleaner. I also think it's the year we lose Gloria.

I'm eager for 1989 too because that's the time when they started building the houses on the other side. I can't remember how all that came about, what happened with Baldwins, and how the Kabin moved to opposite the corner shop. Plus we get the McDonalds moving in and Alan Bradley's demise.

9. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Roy Barraclough is just fantastic as Alec - he gets the lion's share of the best lines, and delivers them brilliantly.

Am not ready to say goodbye to Hilda - it's too soon!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    I wish ITV 3 would make the episodes available to watch later in the day

I miss them as Im at work and i only get a chance to watch if im off work for the day

Roy B is just "pure dead brilliant" to use a Scottish phrase, his timing is spot on and he has great rapport with Bet, I loved Corrie for its humour and wit, now sadly lacking for me

I will dip back into original Corrie once the Phelan story is done and i did catch a trailer the other night and judging by Billys bad acting, I dont know that Im missing it too much

hammy doesnt begin to cover it :eck:

Please let me know when Hilda is leaving, that was one of the most watched episodes and she was missed when she went to be housekeeper for Dr Lowther (think that was his name!!)

RIP Jean Alexander, a real Corrie legend

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    It makes you realise how poor the show is right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hilda's last episodes were on yesterday (Weds 28th) - am not sure if ITV3 repeat them at the weekends?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    oh drat! Got away from work early due to weather and just caught Mavis wittering at Derek, who has been to Cornwall and singing around the piano and she is miffed!
    had forgotten about Jenny and Patrice
    Curly and Shirley Armstrong and see Don Brennan is in it now

Loved Bet and Alec - pure class!
    and Rita, Kevin and Sally look so young

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    I found Hilda's exit somewhat of a letdown, probably because I've seen the clip so many times.

15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    I was so impressed with the price of Alf's processed peas that I had to pause and take a selfie!

Corrie 001.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,445
    Sally looks like she's just discovered the truth about the old "3p" in huge letters and "off next purchase" in tiny print marketing ploy. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467

Oooh...:fp:

I never spotted that, the.

I remember that processed peas were always cheaper than garden peas and even if 3p is extremely low, it just never crossed my mind. I remember buying sweets for half a penny :lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,445
    I know what you mean. I bet Alf or Renee would have been selling them for about 3p not too long before this. Inflation seems to mushroom out every decade so I lose track of how much things cost. Especially since I would have been at school when this episode aired so buying tinned peas would have been the last thing on my mind when I went to the shops. lol

Oh, me too. If I was given 10p to get a bag of loose sweets I'd always get my money's worth with a few half penny ones. :p

• Like Like x 2
  19. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    I loved mushy processed peas when i was a little girl, they were a lovely shade of green

I caught a bit of Corrie today and I have no real recollection of Vera's mum in the show (who liked to steal things from shops) or of the factory making curtains

20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    This is a great storyline, nothing dramatic, nothing really sinister (well apart from stealing) no big twists, just plain old Corrie doing the best it has always done when writing for the more mature characters.