A Christmas present dilemma

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I have a really good friend who is probably one of the closest people to me and I adore him. We do so much together and just generally have a lot of fun, are there for each other confide in each other etc. He's gay so totally friends, nothing romantic etc.

We never go overboard on Christmas gifts but just usually exchange a bottle of wine or something small. Most of our money goes on trips together going out having fun...

This year, he gave me a gift which I loved, it was a basket made up of lavender things (I love lavender). It wasn't though until I went to use some of the things in it, that I had to remove a few annoying tags as they were stopping me from lifting the products out. It was only then that a label fell off which read 'To Joan, From Michael'.

So it landed on the bathroom floor and I thought, how odd and it was kind of like a Joey Tribbiani moment 'there it is!' I lifted it up, almost in slow motion......and thought.....'who the hell is Joan?' And for a moment I was enraged. And then I just started to laugh. Like total 'Friends' moment - what a cheapskate!!! :fp:

I haven't mentioned this to him yet because really he IS my dearest friend and I love him to bits. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he was maybe a bit skint, bit pushed for time etc. He does so much else for me and I'd be lost without him.

But part of me reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealllllllllllly wants to mention it. I think if I wait and do it in a jokey way say 'btw who are Joan and Michael?' - Joan is actually his mother.

What would you do in this situation?

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425
    Given that you value his friendship, I would just chalk it to up to good intensions and not bring it up unless it becomes a pattern.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    Thanks very much @KayLloyd - that's good advice :)

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    Id leave it, see what happens next year

i have on 3 occasions recycled gifts that I didnt like - but usually for a raffle or Xmas dip at work!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,053
    So he re-gifted a present that was originally given to his mother. She probably didn't need it and asked her son if he wanted it. As he valued you as a friend he immediately thought you would love it and so took it for you but didn't realise the original tag was on it. After giving you such a thoughtful gift, it would be only embarrass him if you told him that you knew it was a re-gift so I think you should just enjoy it and be grateful for having a friend that values you highly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,679
    :thinker:Y'all are so much nicer than I am. :D I'd have to turn it into a gag...I just would not be able to resist. Hopefully we'd just have a good laugh over it.

Save the "to/from" card. At some point in the future, you give him a thoughtful gift (it doesn't have to be a re-gift :innocent:). Flip over the "Jane/Michael" card and write "To Michael/From Sarah" on the back, and tuck it in. Bonus points if you can make the card retain the lavender scent, because it's been said that the sense of smell is the most closely linked to memory. At any rate, once he if he asks about the re-used card, tell him he isn't the only one who knows how to recycle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mrs. JR Ewing

Mrs. JR Ewing Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I wouldn't say anything to him, but next Christmas or his birthday give him a present and put some other guys name on the card from you! Then see if he says something to you about it! :D

8. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Tell him it's all over, Sar. Tell him that you don't value the friendship of anyone who doesn't spend at least £100 on your present. Also, if you want me to come round and give him a thrashing, just let me know.

I simply will not stand idly by and watch you treated like this, Sar. You're better than that.

PS Tell him that I bought you a diamond bracelet worth £10,000. I know I didn't, but I will next Christmas.