A Ewing Daughter

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, May 24, 2018.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +118
    What if Miss Ellie had another child, a daughter? Emma Channing from Falcon Crest comes to mind. The Ewing daughter would be mentally ill and kind of 'awkward' like Emma. She would say insipid things that make everyone even Lucy roll their eyes. Despite this everyone loves her and is very protective. The girl would be J.R.'s soft spot. As evil as he can be, he turns into a teddy bear with her. She even talks him out of doing some of his dastardly deeds. That's his little sister, and God help anyone who tries to hurt her. Emma could pass as a Ewing. IMO she kind of looks like Donna Reed. Their scenes would be believeable to me. What are your ideas?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    Interesting idea. But somehow I think Lucy sort of filled the position that a a Ewing daughter would in the family. Because even though she was technically the granddaughter it was Miss Ellie and Jock who raised her.

I wish JR & Sue Ellen would have had a second child though and that it would have been a daughter. I think JR would have had a soft spot for a daughter but he only had sons.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    Yes that could work, a Ewing sister who everyone loves and protects
    Jock favoured JR & Bobby while Ellie favoured Gary but both would love their daughter fiercely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,350
    I always thought it would have been a good idea if Amanda was pregnant when Jock left her in the asylum and she gave birth to a daughter there but unknown to Jock. Then many years later she goes to Southfork to claim her share of Ewing Oil.

I think a daughter than everyone is protective of, like Emma Channing, is a nice idea but would be a limited character. Much better would be a tough and determined daughter that would be a credible rival to JR and Bobby, more of a Melissa Agretti character. Sometimes she would side with Bobby against JR, other times with JR against Bobby and on occasions she would take on both of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +540
    It's certainly an interesting idea, and one I haven't ever considered until now.

In some instance, however, I must agree that Lucy semi-filled the void of a Ewing daughter. She was the granddaughter and niece to the family, but since her parents weren't around she kind of took the distinction of being a Ewing daughter, perhaps only vaguely to the casual viewers. And Lucy's stories were never the series' cream of the crop, either. That's been discussed many times over.

Also, I think that Sue Ellen, Pamela, and later even Jenna took the place of a the non-existent Ewing daughter. Sue Ellen, especially since she was there from the get-go, filled that emptiness, although not majorly right away. Pamela and Jenna being Bobby's wives naturally took on that role, too.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Not true. In that brilliant continuation called C.S.I. Dallas we learn that JR HAD a daughter. Poor bastard just never had the opportunity to meet her...like the rest of us ;) Thank GOD.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    Well we never saw it on screen so I don't count it. For all we know it could have been some sort of mistake. We don't know how the storyline was supposed to have played out. Maybe the daughter would have been an imposter for all we know and it would all have been revealed in yet another plot twist some 10 episodes into season four!:lmao:

8. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I wish the reboot would have included James, his family, and Cally's child. I always wondered what his relationship with Sue Ellen would be like. Perhaps she could at first see him as a threat to John Ross's inheritance, but then they form a bond of sorts. J.R. could see his grandson Jimmy (and possibly his siblings) as the future of Ewing Oil and groomed them to take over, and Debra Lynn could be against it and tries to get her family away from Southfork. Cally was at the funeral with no word of her child.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Karin that's very gracious of you. I would have said 10 minutes into season 4.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    Oops you are right. They left us about 10 minutes to be happy about John Ross and Elena's engagement before she had her mother return the ring! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Yeah thank GOD, especially when she would be played by Dolly Parton! :eck:

12. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Yeah don't forget that half wit Cidre wanted to jump six months ahead if CSI Dallas had returned for a fourth season. She was going to introduce JR's daughter & Bobby's biological son Luke except I was still stuck in a sanitarium in Switzerland at the time! :(

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM