1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A father who wasn't there much ......

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Angela made it difficult for Lance's father to be around in the Valley and while Tony's absence more often than not was all part of the bigger picture I still would've liked to have seen more of him, in the early seasons. John Saxon as Tony had a major part in the 6th year and then for a limited time the year after. Taking this into account would you have wanted Tony Cumson making more appearances pre season 6? Did you even like the character?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,878
    I always thought Tony was a bit of boring character and I wished they had written him to have a bit more of an edge. He should have been a drunk, a serial womaniser or violent and beaten Julia to provide more context for why Angela didn't like him and wanted to keep him away from Julia and Lance. Had he been more of an regular character we might have gound out a bit more about him. A more interesting Tony would have been a really good character to see more of in the earlier seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,679
    Well, in each of his incarnations he was supposed to have impregnated a different woman...I guess he could have been even more of a womanizer but I don´t know if more of a stud...

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,303
    Good points in your post there Angela, about Tony. Ironically it wasn't until Julia finally left Falcon Crest that her man got a substantial part, being paired off with Kim Novak's Kit Marlowe. Whenever John Saxon as Tony got something more than just showing up and encouraging Julia to attempt distancing herself from FC he was up there, with the best of them.

Angela is trying to contact Tony Cumson. Lance was involved in a car accident and she thinks he needs his father. A call is put through to the Stavros Yacht, on the Aegean Sea. Angela is sitting outside on the FC mansion veranda, having a cup of tea, (a scene from season 7, 1987 - '88):

Angela: "Tony I've had a hard time tracking you down."

Tony: "What's the problem Angela? You run out of people to torment, in Tuscany?"

Angela: "No! Lance is in trouble. He has had an accident."

Tony: "Is he hurt?"

Angela: "Not physically but I'm worried about his mental state."

Tony: "You're not trying to pull anything, are you Angela?"

Angela: "Look I'm telling you the truth. You don't think I want to trick you, into coming back to my Valley."

Tony: "I'll be there as soon as I can and by the way thank you very much Angela."

Angela: "Well sometimes there are more important things than old feuds."

Tony: "Don't give me that! You love any feud, old or new."

The acerbic grape granny cuts him off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I didn't particularly like Tony's return in season 7 because he was dating Lance's girlfriend, the same time as Lance and of course it didn't end well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +669
    As hard as he tried the poor man was onto a loser, whatever he did it would have been wrong in the eyes of Angela. If he had been even wealthier than Angela she would have still discredited him. It seemed no one was good enough for her daughters.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Chao-Li was more of a father to Lance, than Tony could ever have been. Other side of the coin was that this situation was what Angela wanted. Of the two Tonys I thought John Saxon was better. Well he was in more episodes than Robert Loggia I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,581
    No, I think the "absent parent" works best when they are indeed absent - and it makes the odd appearance more special because it gives the viewer a glimpse of "what could have been".
    But those reasons would soften her character and I don't think that would have been much fun. She was a colourful character because of her tyranny.
    Angela had decided that Julia and Lance belonged to Falcon Crest, and there was no place for husbands and fathers who could influence them.

• Like Like x 1