1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

A New Feud?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by stevew, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Thanks Steve! I appreciate the kind words. I think it has so many possibilities. Right away you came up with two very interesting possibilities - 1) If Katherine told Robert and Kathleen that Bobby was their father even though he wasn't and 2) What if JR was their father? (JR and Katherine did sleep together on numerous occasions)

Since this story is something I literally just came up with today, thee are plenty of things that I would have to give a lot of thought to before telling everyone "This is how I would have it go..." I mean, the part I wrote today is not going to change except possibly with respect to your 2 ideas, but the rest of it, up to and including the suicide note are things I would definitely want to do the way I wrote it.

Please give me your opinion on the following thought: I think that the story I wrote makes Katherine a more sympathetic character than she was before I wrote it. I'm not saying she's a "good girl", just that she is more sympathetic than she used to be and is more of a tragic character in that the main thing driving her in my story isn't deviousness and selfishness but rather mental illness. Her honest belief that Bobby had been close to marrying her before JR "turned Bobby against her" makes her someone more to be pitied than hated, and with her being as good a mother as she possibly could be to her children (considering the severity of her mental illness) even gives her a redeeming value that she never had before. She truly loved her children and tried to last as long as she could stand to stay alive to raise them before the grief of knowing (or believing) that it was because she was "too old" now that she had completely lost all chance of Bobby ever marrying her.

So Robert and Katherine Wentworth, the twins, would be the two people to wage a bitter feud against the Ewings because of how they perceive Bobby and J.R. destroyed their mother. There's a similarity to the Barnes-Ewing feud in that just as Digger and then Cliff demonize Jock and the Ewing family in general far more than they deserve, and Jock wasn't nearly the ogre that the Barnes family made him out to be, a similar dynamic occurs here with the Wentworths demonizing Bobby who wasn't half the demon that Katherine made him out to be.

Finally I think this feud would add something fresh to Dallas since Bobby has never before borne the brunt of being themes hated Ewing by the family that is feuding with them. They hate J.R. too for telling Bobby lies about Katherine, but ultimately Robert and Kathleen think that Bobby is more to blame because it was of his own free will that he chose to believe those awful lies about Katherine that J.R. told him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Original Member Since:
    Jan 2012
    I really like it. I'd add their hatred of Chris Ewing and Pamela Barnes as well because of Pam and Cliff taking part of the Wentworth money. That also adds to their hatred of Bobby who supported both of their claims to what they perceived as theirs.

Add to this John Ross supports or at least feels for his brother and sister and you've got a hell of a feud.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. Presea
    Cynical

Presea Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    I will admit that this is a lot more of a creative idea than what I usually used to see for Katherine back on the old forum. I hate how people usually seem to think that Katherine=horrible mom just because the kid ain't from Bobby, so this is nice. Personally, I never would have made Katherine die, though. I never considered what Cidre said as true since she brought absolutely no proof that Katherine was dead or even explained how it happened. What I have never been able to figure was if Katherine actually had erotomania. When we say Katherine is crazy or has a mental illness, I assume that that would be the most likely diagnosis. But there are some problems with this. Erotomania is partly classified as a person who has a firm belief that another person is in love with them. However, even though Katherine was obsessed with Bobby and kept trying to get him, I don't think that she truly believed that he was in love with her. I don't know if erotomania has to work that way specifically, or if the belief that there is hope that you can make that person love you is enough to qualify for a diagnosis. A lot of Katherine's lines do not state that she thought he loved her. Consider this one: "But if it wasn't for JR, I could make you love me!" And: "I've lost the only man I've ever loved!", "But he doesn't want me! Oh no, he wants Jenna Wade!" Katherine is not insisting to Bobby that he does love her, and she even says that he doesn't love her. But more than that, consider the hospital scenes from season 11 (dvd). Katherine does nothing to kill or kidnap Pam, the greatest obstacle to her being with Bobby, even though she had the perfect opportunity to do so. And she says goodbye to Bobby and doesn't look back. If she truly had erotomania or some other kind of mental heath issue, wouldn't she have continued to pursue him, still believing that she could somehow win? This led me to believe that Katherine had actually gotten better. Due to those scenes, I don't know why some people seem to believe that she could never have recovered. And there are always treatment options, anyway. I honestly think that if Katherine had the choice, she would just rather have a way to have kept her parents and to have never even met Bobby or anyone else in Dallas in the first place! I also don't think that Katherine ever had a real physical attraction to Bobby. Your idea about her believing that she was too "old" to ever have a chance with "an incredibly good-looking man" (Bobby) does not make sense since in my opinion, Katherine has never showed any physical attraction to Bobby, or even commented on his looks before. And if she truly had erotomania, I somehow don't think that she would have considered age as a barrier. I never believed that Katherine was vain about looks. Sure, she asked Bobby "Am I that unattractive?" when she wanted to know why he turned her down. But I think she was only asking that because she couldn't figure why just acting nice to him wasn't enough. Consider the fact that Katherine never said thank you to almost anyone who complimented her looks, and then there was Bobby, who never once told her that she was beautiful. This led me to believe that she valued a guy who didn't notice looks at all. I like the idea of Katherine being somewhat angry at Bobby and herself, and then eventually finding some peace and new purpose in her life. Quite possibly because of any mystery child or children she had with JR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Via The Void
    Breezy

Via The Void Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    If anyone hurts that no good Father of mine Bobby Ewing, they'll have to go through me, Luke Ewing & my half-brother Christopher to do it!

So bring it on, Katherine Wentworth & those terrible twins of yours!

If they want a feud they'll get one. I might be a thorn in my Father's side, but I will protect him. John Ross will too, I hope. As long as he doesn't make the mistake of falling in love with Katherine's daughter! :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Here is another outrageous idea. Sue Ellen in canon had a miscarriage which could have been JR or her young blond lover. What if instead of miscarried her fetus was transplanted into another woman to be raised to hate the ewings? Make JR the father. Now that is another way to have another Ewing.Yes I know it is preposterous but this is a soap and I got the idea from all my children.In all my children Erica Kane had an abortion,but the doctor who performed the abortion on her transplanted the fetus into his wife to carry. The wife had the baby and raised him.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    But there was something sinister about Katherine visiting Pam in hospital, especially when she says, "I'm going to have everything that was yours, so sleep on little sister...sleep on."

But then we watch her interaction with Bobby. She is remorseful, she has changed, even to the point of offering herself up to the police and giving up her plush lifestyle in Europe or wherever she had been hiding.

But it all came to naught. In some weird way I liked how Pam just vanished and perhaps with assistance from Katherine. I liked the not knowing aspect. But then Leonard Katzman couldn't leave well enough alone and had to dig it all up again with an appearance from Margaret Michaels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Presea
    Cynical

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    I always wondered if the writers had initially decided to start with the Katherine stuff in the hospital because they were hoping that Victoria would still return. Then they could have made some useless Pam-kidnapping plot that ended with her being saved by Bobby. It would have been predictable as heck. But Katherine being thrown in for two episodes like this with no real answers or anything just seemed confusing and ultimately led to nowhere. I guess she really did un-crazy herself after she left the hospital. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Presea
    Cynical

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    Wait, was that Kendall?

9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    It was just bizarre. Because of Katherine's length of time on Dallas and importance I thought the treatment of the character was appalling. First up, like most sister-in-laws she was the scapegoat for Bobby's death. After Bobby makes a shock appearance in Pam's time machine shower cubicle there is the excitement Katherine would return. In a strange way I was happier that Katherine was still alive than Bobby coming back. We then witness Katherine, circling her half-sister like a vulture does before it feasts on its carcass.

Then the ultimate fright. Dressed in her finest black widow outfit Katherine sneaks up on Bobby and carefully places her hand (pity it wasn't a needle) on his shoulder. And did anyone else want to give Bobby a right hook after the way he man handled Katherine into the hospital hallway. And there he stands, acting all holier than thou. Bobby really? You haven't broken any laws in the past which would have given the nice men in prison something fresh to play with? Give me break. If anything the writers should have had Katherine take the high road in this scene. Allow Katherine to unleash on goody two shoes Bobby. Tell him a few home truths that would really hurt. Give her the courage to say to his face, "Whatever I felt for you Bobby was sick and twisted. It wasn't true love. I was infatuated with you, a school girl crush."

And instead of having Katherine limp off feeling defeated it would have been brilliant if they had Katherine walk off screen but turned. "Everything the Ewing family touch, they destroy. My mother....my sister." With that comment Bobby flinches. "But not me." With that she walks off.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Presea
    Cynical

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    Brilliant! I also would have liked to hear her tell Bobby this: "The only times that you actually paid the slightest bit of attention to me were whenever I brought out the Wentworth name and money to help you in business. And the only reason that Ewing Oil is not in your brother's hands is because of how I helped you. But that was the only thing you cared about it when it came to me. You never even saw me as a real person. I was simply "Pam's sister". But now I know that you never cared about me at all. I just wish that I could have realized and accepted that fact a lot sooner..."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Whatever purpose the writers/producers had in bringing back Katherine (something that still puzzles me) I wanted her to be remorseful of her past errors in judgement but at the same time stick it to Bobby. Dialogue that leaves us in no doubt Katherine is in command of the situation. She sticks the knife in and really skewers it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Outrageous but not really necessary. JR could have any number of kids out there including Callie's. I don't think Cidre's idea of a daughter was a bad one but the mother should be someone we know.

13. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Exactly. We know JR had several mistresses so it's not out there that he would have bastard children. Who the mother was would depend on what age they wanted her to be - my favourite is still Julie. She was off the show long enough to have a full-term pregnancy and considering the potential scandal with her death I could see JR consenting with giving the child away for adoption and continue to pay her adoptive parents to avoid that.

JR was never good with conflicts, despite being the center of many.

• Like Like x 1