Abby Dalton - Opening Credits

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Lockardian, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Lockardian

Lockardian Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I’m curious as to the way Julia was credited after the first three seasons.

When Julia returned in Season 4, Abby Dalton was immediately re-added to the opening titles, despite the fact she did not appear in every episode, and left again in “Forsaking All Others”. She generally only appeared in one or two scenes per episode, if at all, until “Retribution”. Her credit led us to believe the character had returned permanently, but that was not to be.

Abby Dalton did not get an opening credits shot in Season 5 or Season 6 - understandably in Season 5 as her intermittent appearances suggested she was a guest star. As far as we were aware Julia was back to stay at the start of Season 6, although being credited as a guest star suggested otherwise.

I wonder why it was decided to include Abby Dalton on the Season 4 titles but not Season 6 - something to do with the contract she signed? Had storylines not been rewritten, I expect she would have stayed until the end of the season, with the tunnel collapse from “Retribution” being the season finale, and perhaps more characters in peril, including Julia?

• Like Like x 3
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Medals:
    What was up with back and forth and back and forth, etc.??!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,291
    Medals:
    It was almost certainly a contractual thing but also to keep viewers guessing what they would do with Julia. Had she not been in the credits we would have assumed they were not going to do a lot with the character and she was going to be staying around very long.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,694
    Medals:
    Well, Abby was fired at the conclusion to season 3. Then Julia's portrayer was brought back again in season 4, with a far fetched explanation as to being in the land of the living. The intention was for the once upon a time wine chemist to resume her status as a core cast member. When the nazi treasure / hostage storyline was terminated early Julia served the remainder of her sentence as a fully fledged nun. At this point she was written into a corner and other than having a major health scare or possibly having a precursor to THE COLBYS encounter with another kind what more could be done?

Since she became recurring after the 4th season and it wasn't gauranteed by any means that she was back full time in season six, as her heart was now in the convent the credits reflected this. As much as I enjoyed the character of Julia with Kim Novak as Kit / Skylar on board at this point was there any more room for an elder daughter type? Abby Dalton was vocal about getting the chop in Kim's year. There was talk of a comeback for season 8, would this just be another short term visit? The ship had unfortunately sailed for the one at an early stage noted for her bun.

Cartel boss Gustav Riebmann has Julia, under lock and key in his mansion. Riebmann is pretending to be a psychiatrist Jean Louis DeBercy. Gustav's assistant Renee brings Angela to meet Julia, where they become hostages. He is watching them through a two way mirror, (a scene from season 4, 1984 - '85):

Angela: "I've been at Falcon Crest. Where have you been?"

Julia: "I feel like I've been to hell and back; since the fire at the springhouse but it's all stating again. All the bad thoughts and voices."

Angela: "Well! We did come together that day, if only for a moment."

Julia: "Did we? I don't remember. I'm so mixed up. Doctor DeBercy is helping me sort out my feelings."

Angela: "I bet he is. He is no more French than I am and he is not a Doctor. He is a German named Riebmann."

Julia: "No he isn't."

Angela: "He is the head of some international crooks that are trying to take over Falcon Crest."

Julia: "I don't believe you!"

Angela: "He is also responsible for the sabotaging of Richard's plane. Now Phillip died in that accident and that leaves me a widow again. Do you know where we were going? We were taking your ashes to Italy, to scatter over the Tuscany Valley. YOUR ASHES, as you requested Julia!"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    I liked Abby's season 4 opening credit. A new image, the bun was gone and all the vines were around her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    Medals:
    Contract thing, definitively. They likely had to pay for each episode she was credited for in the opening credits even when she wasn't there, but once they put her down to recurring they only paid when she appeared on the show.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,694
    Medals:
    The fourth season opening credits with the last shot featured of Abby Dalton:

Angela joins a conversation between Emma and Julia. The two sisters have been speaking about the collapse of the tunnel and the death of the last two cartel members in there. Gustav and Renee got more than they bargained for, in their pursuit of the jewels / treasure, (a scene from season 4, 1984 - '85):

Angela: "That was Chase on the phone. He said that the tunnel collapsed again and there is no way of getting Riebmann out from there."

Angela consoles Julia, who has been on the run: "He also said that he would not tell the Sheriff that you were here, at least not tonight."

Julia looks glumly at Angela: "What is going to happen to me, mother?"

Angela embraces her two daughters and softly tells them: "I'll think about that tomorrow but tonight we are a family."

Freeze frame; fade to black, the closing credits and the theme tune.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    Season 4 was the last of the old style openings and I thought they were pretty good. I wasn't fond of the tweak the next year but the all new design introduced in the Novak season (N.o. 6) was a refreshing revamp, the wine swirling.

• Like Like x 1