Abby's Departure

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Jimmy Todd, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +256
    So, I just finished a super busy month at work, and I need to relax. What better way than to spend a rainy afternoon rewriting one of KL's scripts. Yes, I probably think about KL more than is healthy, but hey, it keeps me off the streets:rolleyes:
    The writers did a great job of keeping KL fresh and compelling for so long, and it's completely arrogant for me to think I could have done better, but I'd like to tweak Abby's final season just a bit.
    It was a good story, but I wished it had really highlighted the many facets of this charater a bit more. One is her intelligence. I would have liked her final scheme to have kept the characters and the audience guessing. Abby proves she's not just smart, she's really smart. The oil idea has been done to death. I don't know what
    exactly it could have been, I'm not that smart, but Abby is. When JR was buying all that oil to eventually open gas stations, it was the first time the actual business scheme itself on one of these shows interested me. I wanted Abby's final masterpiece to be genius in and of itself as that was.
    Another quality of hers I wanted emphasized was her fortitude. The whole time Abby seemed too confident and carefree. She's still a great character, but she's coming off as less a villian and more of a merry prankster. It would have been awesome to see her really face the prospect of going to jail. She's on the ropes, a bit scared, but still fighting. If the character is not the least but worried, there's no tension. Something like Macbeth facing an army, knowing he's going down and declaring, "Blow wind, come wrack, at least we'll die with harness on our back." The only difference is Abby doesn't lose. As a bonus, Karen could have really had to grapple with being the one to turn over Sid's little sister to the police! KL could have worked usual magic with that.
    A weak link in the story was Ted. I don't blame the actor, but it was hard to feel anything for him in any way. He could have been this poor sucker on the level of, again, Macbeth in Polanski's version. The look on Jon Finch's face when he realizes the witches have been playing him all along was wonderful. Imagine if Ted and the audience simultaneously have rhe epiphany that Ted has been seriously played. Ted, who like Macbeth, has done some terrible things, but still elicits some feeling. I don't think it's too much to ask the writer's and actors of a weekly serial to reach Shakespearean levels:)
    The storyline in my mind would
    somehow involve all the major characters, in a similar manner as seasons 4-6. When it's all resolved and Abby has landed on her feet once again, there's a conversation with Greg in which he asks her why she didn't make various characters the fall guy, thus ensuring her victory so much sooner.

Greg to Abby: You could have pinned all this on Karen weeks ago and saved yourself a lot of trouble.
    Abby: St. Karen in jail? Now that would be a sight. No. Sid loved her, and I loved Sid.
    Greg: What about Val?
    Abby(rolls her eyes): Oh, Val. That poor woman's suffered enough. Besides, she was always very good to Olivia.I appreciate that.
    Greg: Gary?
    Abby(gets a little teary): I love Gary. If only he let me run the business my way and stayed out of it, we'd still be married.
    Greg: What about me?
    Abby, leaning closer coyly: I have a feeling you'll be more useful to me out of jail.
    Greg: So that poor schlub Ted takes the rap and you walk out smelling like a rose.
    Abby winks at Greg: Well, Ted is a very unethical person. He got what he deserved. It's justice.

This exchange could have happened after she told Ted that Paige could have information on him basically getting revenge for what Paige did to Olivia. A nice disolay of all the qualities that make her so interesting.
    When Abby returns in my version of the last episode, she definitely does not move back to the cul-de-sac. She's too far away from that world, as she is now in an influential position working for the Council on Foreign Relations or the Trilateral Commission, smart enough to know the real power is behind the scenes. Karen needs Abby's help in rescuing Valene from Treadwell and must go to her hat in hand. Abby helps, after making Karen grovel and comes back to the Sumner group for a visit, and all that entails.
    The writers did an awesome job, and I appreciate I can take advantage of their hard work and hindsight and pretend I could have done half as well.

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    I thought Abby's departure was really well done because it satisfied everyone. The viewers that hated what the character did got to see her get found out and get her comeuppance and those that loved the character's manipulations would have enjoyed how she grabbed a sort of victory out of the jaws of defeat and her last scene singing Don't Worry Be Happy was a positive ending for her.

3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I liked her singing that song as she left KL, and that they didn't make that the final scene. Abby slipped out like a cat:) Nice touch.

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    I remember many years ago another member and I were trying to out-do one another with silly fan-fic scenarios surrounding Knots. I suggested a storyline where Abby was secretly trying to buy up the area around the Knollwood Country Club, which included Seaview Circle and the surrounding cul-de-sacs. Karen was fighting a declaration of eminent domain from city council, trying to keep the cul-de-sac from being razed. The motivation? Abby's company had discovered the largest vein of mascara deposits on the west coast, and she planned to extract every ounce of it for her own needs (and might even share if there's any left over). If the Knots Landing neighborhood had to become an open-pit mine, so be it. I mean, a 55-gallon barrel of oil might be $75, but a 2-ounce tube of mascara was $8. Abby knew how to do the math.....and look really good doing it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1