1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

ABC Cancels Roseanne In Response To Racist Tweet About Valerie Jarrett

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Frank Underwood, May 29, 2018.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Shortly after Wanda Sykes announced she would no longer be a part of ABC’s hit Roseanne revival following Roseanne Barr‘s racist tweet, the network has canceled the show.

“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show,” president of ABC Entertainment Channing Dungey announced in a statement Tuesday.

The backlash has been fierce after Barr, who has been outspoken in her support of President Donald Trump, tweeted a since-deleted attack on former Barack Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett, who is black, during a racist Twitter rant overnight Monday.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby = vj,” she wrote, using Jarrett’s initials in response to a tweeted conspiracy theory about the Obama administration.

Barr also attacked Chelsea Clinton, tweeting a since-deleted lie that “she’s married to soros nephew,” referring to billionaire George Soros.

Sara Gilbert publicly denounced her costar, and several other celebrities called on the ABC to cancel the show.

“Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show,” Gilbert tweeted on Tuesday. “I am disappointed in her actions to say the least.”

“This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love — one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member,” she added.

On Tuesday, Barr apologized and announced she was “leaving Twitter.”

“I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans,” she wrote. “I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste.”

Source: https://people.com/tv/abc-cancels-roseanne-over-roseanne-barr-racist-tweet/

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Still the crazy cow. I wonder why she didn't think to use the "I was hacked" excuse...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Her tweet.... :eyes: I'm at a loss for words! What a horrid person.

Good call, ABC. The only correct decision to make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Joy-Ann Reid pulled the "I was hacked" excuse when homophobic blog posts from her past came to light, but only her most ardent fans believed it.

It's a shame that Roseanne has become this ignorant bigot in her old age. The revival of her sitcom was decent over all, minus the too on the nose political stuff it opened with. It's a shame Barr can't think before she speaks. Not only did she get her show canceled, she also caused the rest of her cast and crew to be without jobs. Crazy Cow indeed.

It's also bizarre how Roseanne has become the darling of Trump and conservatives this time around. They absolutely hated her after her performance of the National Anthem in 1990.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Oh, that's just passive-aggressive perverse posing on Barr's part.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    Ha... Well that was some flash in the pan. Somehow getting her show back on TV, somehow making it a hit, and somehow getting it cancelled after one season because she's a stupid ignorant bitch.

I mean how did she think that would go down on Twitter. Did she think only people who'd share her ignorant views would see the tweet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Somebody from the show will probably die this week.

8. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    ‘Roseanne’ Canceled by ABC After Roseanne Barr’s ‘Repugnant’ Comments, Network Says

ABC has canceled “Roseanne” after Roseanne Barr’s racially charged tweet about Valerie Jarrett Tuesday morning, with Disney CEO Robert Iger tweeting that the decision was “the only thing to do here,” and “the right thing.”

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement to TheWrap on Tuesday.

"muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj," Barr said earlier on Tuesday in response to a Twitter thread about Jarrett, a former adviser to Barack Obama.

Barr apologized before ABC's statement on Tuesday, saying that her statement suggesting that former Barack Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is a product of the Muslim Brotherhood and the "Planet of the Apes" was a "joke" that was "in bad taste.

"I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks," Barr said. "I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste."

The "Roseanne" star's tweet caused swift backlash on Twitter, and consulting producer Wanda Sykes said she would not be returning to the sitcom on Tuesday morning. Executive producer and co-star Sara Gilbert said that Barr's comments are "abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show."

Gilbert added that news of the cancelation is "incredibly sad and difficult."

"This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we've created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love- one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member," she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘...ork-president-says/ar-AAxZuvi?ocid=spartanntp

9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    It would be incredibly funny if they just killed her off and kept the show going.

#Noseanne.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,512
    Hm, spoken words can vaporize, as it were. What really baffles me is that they do think and then post it on twitter - and the internet neither forgets nor forgives.
    It doesn't take much time to type a message, but it's not exactly the same as blurting out something.
    Ha!
    "Guest star Joan Collins becomes the lead of the Roseanne Barr show".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Especially a repeat offender. On Dec 22, 2013, Roseanne Barr tweeted this about the then UN Ambassador and National Security Advisor to President Obama:
    “Susan Rice is a man with big swinging ape balls.”

12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I think cancellation is a bit much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    Wouldn't be the first time she snatched a show from the original cast. :NI:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    Political correct, but the main problem still occupies the White House, embarrassing the US before the rest of the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Now she's blaming Ambien. Good ol' Roseanne.
    Like VALERIE/VALERIE'SFAMILY/THE HOGAN FAMILY.

They could change the title to THE CONNER FAMILY or maybe LIL COUSIN RONNIE.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,666
    This must have been really painful for ABC since Roseanne was a gift sent from heavens. The Middle just ended after 9 seasons and they only have 2 moderate hits left on Tuesdays, Fresh Off the Boat and Black-ish. They're screwed without her show, which was not only their #1 new show - it was the #1 ABC show.

So, Roseanne managed to not only torpedo her own show that could've run for multiple seasons and generated millions of dollars-- not to mention the 200+jobs associated with it -- but also obliterate ABC's entire Tuesday night line-up and all those shows and all those jobs, which desperately needed a hit like Roseanne to prop them all up.

What a fascinating collapse, coming off just a couple of months after that stunning ratings-shattering premiere in March -- all pissed away in practically an instant, following a single nasty tweet (though there had been a pattern).

A fitting trainwreck ending for the woman who many years ago got away with that anthem stunt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    I just hope ABC did the right thing and this - with all it's consequences and punishment for many, many totally uninvolved people - doesn't heavily backfire on them... and maybe an entire nation in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Yes, she put hundreds of people out of work, ruined some careers no doubt.

Does Ambien really do that?

ABC's programming boss is a black woman, the first to ever hold such a network position. So that has something to do with it.

But Roseanna brought this on herself. And now she's bashing her co-stars for their comments, silly nutjob, after deleting a tweet telling her fans not to defend her.

19. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    Didn't she tweet as well, that she wanted to leave twitter? Or did she delete that as well? Too bad the internets never forget. :rolleyes:
    That woman should pull her network cables and go offline for a while and just shut up... or take her Ambiens and actually go to bed after that. And probably talk to her shrink.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,269
    Not just that - Roseanne has apparently been pulled from reruns too, so she's essentially also screwed everyone involved with the original for any residuals.

• Agree Agree x 1