ABC Cancels Roseanne In Response To Racist Tweet About Valerie Jarrett

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Frank Underwood, May 29, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,297
    Tom Arnold talks about Barr:

Discussing Trump's response to the Barr controversy:

She is 65, while she was only 35 when the original began.

2. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Putting the tweet and cancellation aside, the Roseanne revival defied the so-called "rules" of a continuation. When nuDallas was on the air, many fans of the original complained at how different it was. And the response was always that the show had to be drastically different in order to survive today. The common refrain was that "old Dallas would never work today." That always struck me as odd. If the old show wouldn't work in it's original form, why bring it back just to make it unrecognizable? Then look at Roseanne. The new set was identical to the old one. The relationships between the characters was basically the same. Their financial struggles were the same. The original series had gay characters, while the new show had a character who didn't conform to gender norms. Other than the Roseanne character's more conservative-leanings, the show was instantly familiar in the best way possible.

To a lesser extent, even Girl Meets World and Fuller House have been relatively faithful to their original shows. It's a shame Dallas wasn't given the same treatment.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,609
    Perhaps this cartoon would've come off better if it said FOX News:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,685
    What you publish on your very public social media won't ever disappear, and it goes out to millions of people. And if you say something very racist, comparing a black person to an ape (which has been done by racists to death!), then you deserve the just consequences of that action. Roseanne represents ABC when she stars on on of their series. If they don't stand for racism, then it's perfectly ok to fire her.

Unfortunately for her co-workers, Roseanne is the star of the show, which of course entails: no Roseanne - no show.

Sad for fans, sad for her co-workers, sad for ABC and sad for Roseanne herself, but she only has herself to blame. This wasn't exactly her first, second or even third public racist comment. One would think she'd learn her lesson at some point: attacking people of other religions & black people is not acceptable.

She owes Valerie an apology as well as all black people and muslims. Not that she's sorry, but have some respect at least!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,685
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Well, I take Ambien and I can say this - Ambien will make you eat a pie and even make you make a sex vid, but it doesn't make you a racist....

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    But Wanda Sykes called Obama an orangutan.

9. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    When?

Plus, Roseanne was employed by ABC, which is owned by Disney - they don't exactly need racist scandals...

10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
  11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Let me put on my big surprise face.......

;-)

12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    BTW, just watched the final reboot episode, "Knee Deep," and it truly DOES feel like it was planned TO be the final episode!

13. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,685
    Not Obama, she called Trump that.

And that's not as bad as calling VJ an ape. White people have never been referred to as apes by racists, so the orangutan bit was not a common racist attack. Plus, white people are still on top of the hierarchy pyramid. Rich straight white christian men, to be exact. So insulting people above you is much more acceptable than insulting people below in the social group pyramid. And if you happen to be in the higher ranked groups, you have so many more privilages so that you should accept never being able to insult someone for being a woman, for being of another skin color, for having a different sexual orientation or for having another religion.

That's why most people don't bat an eye when Wanda Sykes calls Trump an orangutan.

14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,570
    I can't believe people were really so shocked that Roseanne said something outrageous. Isn't that what she does?

I'm not defending her comments but I do think cancelling the show was an overreaction. Maybe she should have been required to pay a financial penalty - perhaps in the form of a donation to the NAACP, something that would not have impacted the livelihoods of others or deprived the viewers of a show that had been doing well.

They've pulled it here in Australia, too, but sadly we were a few weeks behind so it's unlikely we'll see the rest - unless it turns up at 2 in the morning or something.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I find this view problematic in its own right. I don't think it's okay to say a group of people is allowed to insult you but you can't insult them back., regardless of their social status. It's different if we're talking about comics telling jokes, but even then people want to draw lines. SJW havens like Buzzfeed are constantly putting together lists of why white people (particularly men) are awful, as well as lists of things white people aren't allowed to say. As a white guy whose not trying to oppress anybody, I get tired of being made to feel guilty.

The reason Roseanne's remarks about Valerie Jarrett rise beyond the level of joke telling is because she has a long history of making bigoted remarks on Twitter. It's a systemic issue on her part that goes well beyond one tweet. It's usually pretty easy to discern between someone telling a joke like Wanda Sykes and somebody purposely being bigoted.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    I also have a suspicion that ABC must've told her to cool it with the twitter comments several times already and just realised that it wasn't going to happen. Would they want to constantly have to do damage control for the next few years every time Roseanne has an "ambien"? Had it been one comment then fine. Apologize and move on, it might have been a failed ill-advised joke on her part. But in her case it's more or less systematic at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    It's hard to believe that someone would purposely commit career suicide and destroy jobs for over 200 people just because of a rough schedule - but this IS Roseanne....

18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,286
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    I very much doubt she thought much about the 200 she would make jobless.

But losing a paycheck? Yeah, doubt she'd do that. I doubt she thought much about it at all. She just mouths off and assumes there's no consequences, especially as Roseanne finished #1 in the valued 18-49 demographic and #2 in total viewers. This is pretty much unique and unheard of. But ABC is getting a lot of praise for their move, a lot of people calling it gutsy.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    Well, per TV critics, it wasn't quite the same show

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/...atest&contentPlacement=65&pgtype=sectionfront