1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

ABC Cancels Roseanne In Response To Racist Tweet About Valerie Jarrett

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Frank Underwood, May 29, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Calling Trump an orangutan is an insult to the orangutan, not Trump.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I don’t believe Sykes would want to insult orangutans! She is trying to insult trump by having the joke be a human is inferior to animal

Roseanne should not have been fired!! Pc disgustingness gone too far

3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    There were some differences, of course. The jokes were a bit clunky at times, and of course Roseanne the Trump supporter was a bit jarring.

Still, it wasn't completely foreign to the original series the way that nuDallas often was. Of all the continuations I've seen, nuDallas was the least like its original series.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    That particular human is inferior to an animal. Many animals exhibit behavior that is far more noble and civilized.

Taking offense to racism is ‘politically correct’ and disgusting? o_O

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    yeah, there is no arguing that. The fact that they compare it to the old show means there was a basis for comparison.
    I don't think TNT Dallas was foreign to the original series--I think it was foreign to the original genre. It wasn't a soap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    It's not just political correctness to stay away from making racist comments. It's morals, respect and common decency. Racism and racists are the biggest problems in the world. They have caused wars and murder for as long as humans have existed. Why can't racists get that through their thick skulls?

7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,159
    Be that as it may, a group of orangutans at San Diego zoo are reportedly furious over the remark and are calling for her resignation.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Sarah Danner

Sarah Danner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +84
    She's not a train. There's no need for her to announce her departure. Begone!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Actually, the reboot was very good!

10. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,666
    Why doesn't ABC just let it go?

First of all, who wants to watch DARLENE or THE CONNERS? Roseanne was the show. The remaining cast were there to play off her sarcastic lines. Think of Roseanne what you want, but it'd be a dull ROSEANNE without Roseanne. It would fizzle out quickly after some initial interest.

Secondly, she's co-producer, so she's likely entitled to a share of the profits. And if they try to screw her over, she can sue them like Charlie Sheen successfully sued CBS who then had to settle for millions of dollars. Not much of a punishment if she ends up profiting from additional episodes without even lifting a finger.

But I suppose they want to get some of the money back, since Gilbert, Goodman & Metcalf are reportedly still getting paid $300,000 per episode next season whether ABC produces a 2nd season or not, so they're probably thinking - well, we might as well give it a shot, since we're losing buckets of money on this anyway.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I'd like to see it go ahead. In the (perhaps unlikely) event that Rosanne (Barr) can rehabilitate herself maybe she could even be welcomed back at some stage - if they don't kill her character off (or even if they do).
    That's a good point but the post-Valerie Hogan family had a good run under similar circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    They could kill her in a terrible car crash ... she sadly didn't pay attention to the traffic while tweeting. How tragic. :( :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Or at least place her in a mental institution --- following that car accident in which she was tweeting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    Ah yes, and sometimes she could even call her family from there... you know, like Connie in S2 of The Colbys did. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    I think it's very different when a someone from powerful and/or majority group attacks someone from a weaker and/or minority group than it is the other way around.

When you are in the power position you can afford to laugh off or ignore insults that are aimed at you. However, when you are in the weaker position, insults are harder to ignore because at best they reinforce that you are the weaker party and at worst the serve to drive you further down. Words do more harm to those that are already more vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I agree for the most part. Many rich people have contributed to an unjust society, although some support civil rights and a more fair economic system. However, identity politics has gone beyond just calling out the ruling class for oppressing the poor and minorities. Just being a straight white male is enough to draw the ire of SJWs today, as if we're all a collective of oppressors. White people are constantly being told their privileged and given lists of things they can and cannot say, while many of us are poor and not oppressing anybody.

17. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    In an ideal world, we could all be on the same level. However, the world is far from ideal. So if we want to change things, we ought to stay away from calling those of less privilaged group names. Just to stay away from adding more fuel to the fire.

I don't mind having restrictions of what I can say or not say to black people, gay/bi/queer people, people of other religions etc. It doesn't restrict my life in any way. I'd just feel incredibly mean & racist if I did say certain things! I prefer never to feel that. I am kind to myself that way.

Roseanne obviously feels that she's better than others because she's a white non-muslim. So in her mind, it must be perfectly ok to say it too. She's "just honest". But in a world full of political correctness, poor thing can't be honest and opened about being so much better than darker-skinned people or muslims.

18. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    Spot on! :clap:

As a man I don't feel in any way threatened if someone collectively says men are sexist or in other ways bad people because I know that I am part of a large powerful section of the population who collectively have the strength and position to challenge that view. However, as a black person in a country where only about 4% of the population is black, if someone says something derogatory about black people I feel threatened because as a minority it is much harder to challenge negative comments and get people to listen to alternative opinions.

If "white people are constantly being told [they're] privileged", as they part of a powerful majority group they are equipped to deal with it. However, I don't think it's true that they are "constantly" being told that and the suggestion could be seen by some as being just another example of white privilege because as a group they are not used to having their position challenged.

Someone can be poor and they may not be oppressing anybody personally but they can still be part of a privileged group because this isn't about individual privilege (or lack of it) but the privileged status society has traditionally given particular groups as a whole.

19. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Sorry, peeps.....no Roseanne........no........"Roseanne....."

20. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Roseanne Twitter Followers Jump More Than 35 Percent After Show Cancellation

Roseanne Barr may have lost her show, but Twitter hasn't abandoned her.

The star of ABC's now former hit "Roseanne" has seen her audience on the social media platform balloon more than 35 percent since her infamous, racially-charged tweet suggesting that former Barack Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is a product of the Muslim Brotherhood and the "Planet of the Apes."

On the day the tweet was launched — in the early morning hours of May 29 — Barr had approximately 646,000 followers, according to a snapshot from the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. But as of Monday, June 4, less than a week after the firestorm first erupted, Barr's following had increased to 878,000, a 35.9 percent gain.

"The old saying is 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' and this appears to be Exhibit A," Joe Concha, a media reporter for TheHill told TheWrap Monday.

"I think this shows that many of those who follow her thought she got a raw deal and didn't unfollow her — when of course she got everything she deserved — and all the press around the show's cancellation attracted people to her feed to either watch the train wreck or out of simple curiosity," Concha added.

During that stretch of time, Barr's fans also launched a Twitter campaign to increase her following, which may have helped fuel the surge.

In a lengthy post last week, the comedian apologized for her remarks saying that she had been on Ambien during the time of the incident.

"Guys I did something unforgiveable (sic) so do not defend me," said Barr in a now deleted tweet. "It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting-it was memorial day too-I went 2 far & do not want it defended-it was egregious Indefensible. I made a mistake I wish I hadn't but…don't defend it please."

Since that fateful Tuesday, Roseanne has remained busy on Twitter despite numerous promises to leave the platform and canceled an appearance with podcaster Joe Rogan on Friday. And an interview she did record with her spiritual adviser Rabbi Shmuley Boteach has so far remained unreleased.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/r...-show-cancellation/ar-AAye1cK?ocid=spartanntp