ABC Cancels Roseanne In Response To Racist Tweet About Valerie Jarrett

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Frank Underwood, May 29, 2018.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +896
    Medals:
    Roseanne's son defends his mother and discusses the hypocrisy at ABC:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    Roseanne claims she didn't know Valerie Jarrett was black -- which may very well be true. She had issues with Plame's Iran policy.

John Goodman did defend her by saying he never knew her to express any racism. And while Tom Arnold jumped on the bandwagon and claimed Roseanne was always comparing black people to monkeys, he's also the only one of her four husbands she doesn't maintain a friendly relationship with (she calls him a sociopath).

And certainly her show was racially sensitive, and not just in a paint-by-numbers way.

Roseanne herself also semi-defended the cast by saying that their silence, or go-along-to-get-along complicity, was due to fear of being fired if they defended her.

Funny, I was just watching yesterday Joe Rogan's interview with her from a few months ago:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I am NOT making a pro-Trump statement here, but I believe she was fired because she disrupted the narrative that the only reason anyone would vote for Trump is because they are racist misogynist troglodytes. What she said was terrible and elicited understandable outrage. but many comedians and actors have said worse and been given a pass. I can't take Hollywood seriously in their outrage when not only did Roman Polanski get an academy award, many in Hollywood signed a petition saying he should be allowed back in the country and what he did should be forgotten. He's a rapist, and they're defending that. Are any of then facing a backlash?

Roseanne's character and Laurie Metcalf's character were presenting two sides to the political debate, and both were making valid points. Roseanne has never been a conservative and her show has always given voice to the marginalized such as Blacks, Native Americans, women and the LGBT community. The marginalized group she has been particularly adamant about representing is the working class. There is a huge swath of America made up of working class people who. I believe felt forgotten and have lost faith in the political system. In Trump they saw something that might be more than business as usual. Whether they are right or wrong is not the issue. The issue is that Roseanne was provoking true thought about why Trump won. True intellectual debate is not easy, and nobody is going to come out perfect. Hollywood is dominated by left leaning people who kay not want to truly answer the question why states that never voted Republican did so in this election. They also voted for someone who, if you told me back in the 1980s that he win the presidency I would have thought the opposite party ran a sack of potatoes against him.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2