Adam Rippon - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    A breakout star of the Olympics, dubbed the first openly gay Olympics athlete, he's seemingly omnipresent. There was the controversy with Vice-President Mike Pence, the bromance with fellow gay Olympian Gus Kenworthy, numerous talk show appearances along with this week's lovefest with Reece Witherspoon on Colbert, etc.

[​IMG]

Normally I'm a little turned off by overtly effeminate men, especially those who love to spice it up with eye-rolls and vocal fry, but I can't help find Adam adorable. Even though I still think he tries a little too hard to be funny and lovable, there's something cute about him.

Am I being too shallow for jumping on the Rippon bandwagon? Do most of you find him annoying?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    I don't know what kind of athlete he is, but I bet he's got Olympic buns. There, I out-shallowed you:p

I like the idea that effeminate gay men can be Olympic athletes too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    I think, yes he's pretty. And I too, don't mind a certain campiness in men and can find it even kind of attractive. However, I happened to see a few interviews with him last night and there seemed to be something very fake about his femininity or campiness. An element of playing up to the camera and I don't really like that.
    I think that something like campiness or femininity or even masculinity are attractive features if they are genuine. If they are something that is naturally emitted from a person. If someone is forcing one of those qualities it often becomes off putting. A straight guy can have certain feminine traits that can be perceived as attractive, a gay guy can too. When any man starts being faux macho it's really unappealing. When a gay guy starts super amping up the campiness it's the same thing.
    He's also of that generation of gays where I would need a translator to have a conversation with him. It's all that "Yasssssssss! Yasssssss Queen!" Hunty drag-race lingo that I just haven't ever mastered and I don't particularly want to. At 34 he makes me feel old.

Also what's worse than a vicious old queen? A vapid shady twink?

Now that skier Gus Kenworthy is adorable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    You do have to keep up with...the Kardashians in order to understand young gay men.
    Which, in my case, is never going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    Also... This is him in 2003 a full 20 years after my birth. So, like... Just no.
    [​IMG]

6. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    Good for you. :D

All is forgiven if they're cute. :D

Yes, absolutely.

But he's 28! You're practically the same age. :lol:

Adorable and super-hot at the same time.

[​IMG]

7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    He may be 28 but his persona is that of an 18 year old air head twink. Maybe he's different in private. In fact I'm almost certain he is. However what he gives off doesn't appeal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    This is not so awful, is it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    Oh he's been much more camp and hammy effeminate in the videos I watched last night. The eye rolls and the hunty talk etc. Which is why I think he really plays it up. It's an act but more power to him. He seems to be doing very well from it all.

10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    I like him sometimes. He's funny on Twitter. I think he's cute and I even tuned in to watch him compete a couple of times, which I think might be the only time I've ever watched the Olympics on purpose. But . . . he just comes across to me as really desperate for the attention and like he's working really hard for the attention and I find that off putting. I guess he probably realizes his post-Olympics shelf life is fairly short, so he's doing all he can to hold on to the attention while it lasts. I don't see him being relevant a few months from now.

I imagine his presence on TV is making many homophobe's heads explode, so I do appreciate that about him.

Now Gus on the other hand . . . Gus is perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    I think this is very true. Didn't he only make the Olympics by the skin of his teeth after not making the team for years previously?