Alexis Rants About Chocolate - Again

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Alexis, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    So I was out shopping today and saw Black Magic and decided to treat myself to a box since dark chocolate is better for me than milk chocolate. I remember having black magic as a child, that was my first exposure to dark chocolate and I have loved it since. I haven't had Black Magic in years though as they only come in a big box. It's not the kind of thing you normally buy for yourself.

Anyways I opened them up tonight and had a few and they taste utterly horrible and cheap. There is a weird faint trace of coconut to them and none of them are actually supposed to be coconut flavoured. I hate coconut. The chocolate is that greasy waxy stuff now like Hershey's.
    And such a selection of cheap centres. Where did the delicious cherry centre go? The Dreamy Fudge just isn't fudgy and the Midnight Truffle isn't at all very truffle-y.

The rich heady dark chocolate flavour I remember so well is now gone and what it's been replaced with is something synthetic and inferior. Why are chocolates now made with Palm and vegetable oil? I think that must be the reason for that horrible waxy greasy feeling in the mouth. It leaves a layer of grease inside the mouth. Just horrible.

Chocolate lovers steer clear of Black Magic!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,235
    Rant away, I'm with you. The quality of chocolate has dipped considerably over the years from where I'm at in the US. I remember as a child touring the Hershey factory in Hershey, Pennsylvania when their products had a real taste. The last time I was in Austria I made a point to bring some Milka bars back just to remind myself what real chocolate bars use to taste like over here ....or what I think they tasted like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,481
    Côte d'Or is usually good.

And was it like the movie?:)

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,340
    oh I feel your pain, that was my fav
    When i was little my mum and i on a sat afternon would go over to her brothers house and when we left he would give my mum on alternating saturdays a box of Black magic or Milk Tray

I loved the cherry one from BM and also the strawberry cup and orange cream ones

I used to be a dairy milk holic, now less so, its changed and as you say a lot of choc has and not for the better

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1