All the New Continuations

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by stevew, Nov 25, 2018.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I’m finding it interesting how well these continuations are doing in the ratings. Some spoofs do well from time to time (I think about that Brady Bunch movie) and there’s always a start over (like Dynasty but I’m not a fan when it’s so apparent). But a true continuation seems to be working well. What do they all have in common. I keep reading posts that say things like “It’s like they never left.” And there is the problem with Dallas TNT. There are many phases to Dallas:

The original (including miniseries)
    The early years
    Knots Landing

then it gets shaky The dream season (without BBG should have known it was in
    trouble).

then it messes up: The post dream season (the world’s biggest wtf tv moment)

and it goofs around: The reunion movies

but this was no continuation: TNT Dallas. It certainly wasn’t a continuation like what we see now. It should have gone back to 1978-1985 to figure it out. Make 1986 on cannon but don’t worry so much about where the original got lost just don’t do another totally ignore what we see. And there they’d have had a successful Dallas continuation.

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    It's funny, but despite the Gary/Valene connection, I never saw Knots Landing as another way to visit the Dallas universe. Knots feels like a very different show from Dallas or the big three of the 80s (Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest). Aside from the Galveston lunacy, I thought of it as a more down to earth version of a prime time soap.

TNT Dallas was tricky: watching it, it looked like Dallas, but it was really an issue of Cidre Poltergeisting the history: she had moved only the tombstones (surface) but not the bodies (history and character make-up).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,016
    Initial ratings stemming from the United States suggested an audience was ready to let the Ewing family back into their lives. I also recall a buzz occurring here in Australia when it was announced Dallas was returning and I'm confident the same could be said in other parts of the world. After watching the opening episode it felt like the majority of the audience (I'm assuming original fans) felt cheated and half of them disappeared when the following weeks episode went to air. An emergency meeting should have been called....stat!

Though I haven't watched it I hear Fuller House has done well and of course there was the behemoth, Roseanne...before she imploded...and is now called The Connors. I found myself watching an episode the other night and it looked like nothing had changed. The house and furnishings looked the same plus the same kind of humour was still prevalent. I caught myself laughing a few times. I think why these few examples work is because the people behind the scenes take great care in not upsetting the apple cart. They know and appreciate their audience.

Cynthia & Co. did not understand this. Firstly. Don't change the interior of Southfork. I know some here say it reflected the actual design of the house but I and obviously others don't care. Southfork became a character in itself. Update the decor. Give it a classic modern look worthy of the Ewing millions, just don't change the physical layout and fill it with Pottery Barn ornaments.

And worse? Don't change the course of history by implanting some family I had never heard of as if they grew up with the Ewing clan. That was just plain dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I completely agree - all the successful TRUE continuations and the original high ratings prove it wasn’t the brand, in fact exact opposite, it was the leaders of the brand which did NOT work. Now this has to be admitted by not just the fans, but also the cast and crew publicly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,016
    Well plenty has been said here on Soapchat regarding its failings and some did enjoy the continuation. I doubt though we'd ever hear an honest response from the cast - although Patrick and Linda have flown close to the wind - or those behind the scenes. Types like them just won't do it. Why would they honestly admit to their failings when they wish to remain relevant within the industry. That would be like biting the hand that feeds you.

6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Because the hand did not continue to feed them. I too enjoyed parts of the continuation but to be honest it was not a continuation and that is what should be said. Unlike these other shows we’ve seen, which continued their stories, this was something different which used a bit of the Dallas story at best. Saying so is honest and clear about their legacy. What they were part of creating in 1978, something to be proud of, may have gone off the rails in later years, but it was not what we saw in 2012. And certainly the executives who fed CC should be able to admit that what she provided wasn’t the continuation they sought (or at least said they sought). The failing rests in the vision of the show lead just as it did in its original run when in later years it failed, not those paid to carry it out or even those doing the paying. It seems as if you’re suggesting coming off as a team player trumps coming off as being honest in their industry. Yet as a team player if you’re not honest, I’m not sure what value you hold for adding to any team’s chance at success. Coming off cooperative is different than coming coming off complicit.

7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    I am not justifying Cidre, but I do not think they sought that. Otherwise they would have found it a better home than TNT, where Lorimar Dallas didn't fit, but as a crime-infested hour, Cidre's Dallas did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Patrick was practically insufferable when TNT Dallas was on the air. He did several interviews where he talked about how much better the new Dallas was, how the scripts were the best he ever read, how Ann and Bobby had "real" conflict in the marriage unlike Bobby and Pam, etc. I get that he was happy to have a job again, but his praise was over the top and silly.

Once the show ended, however, he revealed some of the misgivings he had about things like the drug cartel, Miss Ellie giving half of Southfork to John Ross, etc.

As far as continuations go, it does appear that the recent boom of sitcom revivals aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. They're sticking to a tried and true formula that made them successes to begin with. If you want to reinvent a franchise, I think a complete reboot is the best way to go. When it comes to continuations, original fans expect a sense of familiarity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Patrick Duffy thought the idea for the dream in the old Dallas was amazing and never once changed his mind. After that he had as much credibility as a flat earther.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Good point.

11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    It seemed I disagreed with PD at every turn, even when he finally parted with CC. I had no problems with the Drug Cartel story line; it was the crime investigation bs that was all wrong. The Ewing’s dealt with bad people all the time and even drugs present themseleves. And I also disagree about South Fork. The Miss Ellie who wanted to give South Fork to her brother when he returned was the same woman who would want her oldest son’s oldest son (as she knew him) to have the ranch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +647
    According to Patrick Duffy, the problem with the drug cartel storyline was that it became the focus rather than the periphery. Personally, I agree with that assessment.

Yes, but it would have been impossible for her to leave half of Southfork to John Ross since she had already signed all of Southfork over to Bobby years ago. I think it would have been better if she had left a letter to Bobby stating her desire for him to give half of Southfork to John Ross upon JR's death. It would have been like Jock's letter stating his desire for Bobby and JR to run Ewing Oil together regardless of who won the contest. It also would have given Bobby a moral dilemma. Either he honors Miss Ellie's wishes or he sticks it to John Ross.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I agree the drug cartel shouldn’t have been the focus, but a lot shouldn’t have been the focus and was. He should have complained about the entire Ramos family - to much of the focus and not tied to the original - easy fix, Carmen was Teresa’s sister.

Southfork could have been explained a lot of ways just as many things could have been but they never bothered. It could have been what she signed over was just the ranch business or that she returned at some point and asked for it back. Or as you say a request from Miss Ellie. It was lazy writing that didn’t bother to give an explanation but the idea of giving it to John Ross, even eventually in its entirety, was sounds and loyal to the original.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2