Amanda: One Daughter Too Many

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Arguably it did where Emma Samms is concerned. Yes, she was atrocious during her early years as Fallon, but in Season 9, she was *marvelous*. Though then again, that was because both the actress and the character were finally being given the care and grooming they needed, thanks to Paulsen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,672
    Medals:
    I like!
    I could see her as a person constantly looking for recognition, not by the men she's involved with, or as a Carrington (like Adam) but for herself - based on the idea that she's always had a false identity, and now she wants to create her own.
    Could we have catwalk meltdown please?
    Oh no, I want Fallon to say that. Who cares what Michael thinks, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. Worst comeback ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I would hardly say Emma Samms was lightning in a bottle even in season 9. Paulson wanted Pamela Sue Martin back but the powers that be said it wasn’t a good idea. Even John James said that having Pam back would be a big boost.

I’d like Emma in Season 9 so kudos to Paulson for making the best of what he had to work with, but she was still a pale imitation of fiery Fallon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    I can see the media constantly referring to her as "Princess Amanda" or "The Royal Super Model" or something like that.

Daaaaaaaaaang, ice-cold b*tch thing to say at your own sister... I LOVE IT!!!!! Imagine the catfight that could follow that remark. :D:D:D

It could be the climax of what happens for this little storyline.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    I'll agree she wasn't PSM from S1, but it still seems a bit unfair to call her a "pale" imitation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,672
    Medals:
    Fallon II was anything but an imitation. Fallon season 4 was a pale imitation of her former self. To be honest, I don't know what's worse.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +473
    It was Prince Michael who was supposed to say that to his wife, not Michael the chauffeur.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Medals:
    Fallon was not needed in either actresses' form by Season 03ish...

9. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Actually it was the other way around: the Shapiros pretty much let Paulsen do as he wished but they strongly suggested that he fire Emma Samms and the ABC suits told him he had to cut the budget. Paulsen was brought in at the end of season eight (uncredited) and worked on the cliffhanger to set it up for the following season. They considered having Jeff and Fallon going to bed at night only to reveal Jeff waking up the next morning next to Pamela Sue Martin. I don't know if they actually approached PSM about returning. Paulsen said he took Emma Samms out to dinner to get to know her better; he said he found her to be smart, witty and charming and asked why he hadn't seen those qualities in her portrayal of Fallon. Samms said she was playing Fallon the way she was written. It was Paulsen who put her in the red leather dress and wrote the scene where she goes to Jeff's apartment. He encouraged Samms to let her hair grow and go back to her natural dark brown color; he also paired her with a dialect coach over the Summer hiatus to make her sound less British (it didn't work 100% but it was an improvement over her accent on "The Colbys").

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Paulsen gave Samms way more care, attention and preparation in 3 months than the Shaprios/Pollocks/TPTB did in 3 *years.*

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I’ve never heard of the story of the Shapiros wanting to fire Samms. If anything they liked her and knew that PSM would never come back and she refused to do their Hotel spin off.

In James from London’s interview with David Paulson and also the Emma Samms intimate portrait he admitted that he wanted to replace Samms because she was frosty with PSM who the viewers loved. But Spelling and Cramer said it wasn’t a good idea.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Medals:
    I think the difference is that Knots never pretended that Joshua hadn't existed, which is pretty much what happened to Amanda after Blake saying that she left for England. It just became weird when they would reference Fallon, Steven and Adam as their only children; they could've easily given Amanda the occasional mention and made it an opportunity to widen the Dynasty universe a bit. At least in season nine when Alexis was gone it would've made sense if she had ended up mentioning being in London to see Amanda at one point.

It's not that I even would've wanted Amanda back on the show, but it would be nice if the show didn't pretend it was all just an hallucination. Then again, they also did the same thing to Leslie...

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Ah, nobody cares about Leslie. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    Kidding aside, as Ben's daughter, she mattered. As I said when discussing why a Dynasty continuation would have been more difficult than a Dallas one, Dynasty did not cater to its future very well. Having Ben was a perfect opportunity for Dynasty to expand its character list--instead they shipped him off and made Leslie...I don't know what really.
    Esther Shapiro's only apology for the show's decline in later seasons was that they "run out of story for the older characters" but the stories and the characters were there. Who was Leslie's mother? What happened to Ben all these years? How would he use his money? Instead they eliminated the Fallmonts, then Caress, then Amanda, then Ben, then Leslie all the while bringing in new characters that mattered to no one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,672
    Medals:
    I've always wanted Susan Farragut to return as the vengeful and super-rich queen of a nanny empire.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,752
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG] upload_2019-4-21_23-34-23.jpeg

17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Excellent points, all around!

• Agree Agree x 1