Anders' demise: Dynasty's jump the shark moment?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Richard Channing, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Yes, there was that, but as you said this did not have any twists. The drama between Steven and Blake and Fallon was great, as of course was Alexis' testimony, a tour de force on the stand if ever there was one. But on the whole, I thought the trial brought camp to Dynasty. The mannerisms and actions of the D.A. were operatic and certainly laughable and implausible, as was the sentencing (Blake served NO time for manslaughter--there is a two year minimum in Colorado). He also took two trips to the parole officer and that was it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    That is awesome. Who made that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Medals:
    I made it, and thanks!

4. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    18AF36D4-0154-4B2B-B1A7-063FBFD72B43.jpeg
    “THAT MANNN!!!!!”

*slams hand on table*
    *whips around, ferociously, and points @ Blake*
    *wipes sweat from brow*
    *hunkers around ominously*
    *raising and lowering the pitch and volume of my voice in tandem with the dialogue*

You mean all of that? Camp gloriousness.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Awesome. In which thread did this debut?

6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Medals:
    I've just had it as my signature for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Ander's death would be ine of several jump the shark moments. In my opinion, Dynasty put on the water skis when Blake and Krystle found out Alexis caused Krystle's miscarriage and she was STILL allowed to walk in and out of their mansion whenever she wanted, order the servants around, and mock Krystle to her face. Their encounters were great, but I would have preferred if only the audience knew Alexis caused the accident. There were still plenty of reasons for them to clash and even have a catfight. As it was, I was always asking myself why Blake would allow a dangerous sociopath to have such easy access to his home.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I don't disagree with you that Krystle, given her conviction, should never have wanted to be around her. But all Blake had was Krystle's belief, no hard evidence. Alexis told him it was an accident. He said, in anger, that he had forgotten how vicious she could be, but this is the same man who killed his son's boyfriend and raped his wife, not to mention unleashing the dogs on Walter. So did Blake choose to not believe it, or did he accept that people, himself included, do horrible things? Who knows. But I did not find him talking to the mother of his children so unthinkable, considering his own transgressions. I think only once she lied on the witness stand, about him letting his mother die, should he have drawn the line.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    They had to give us something to love-to-hate the villain, and they had to get away with these things otherwise it would bring (a big part of) the story to a standstill.
    JR insulted his family over and over again, and yet they were all sitting at the same breakfast/dinner table, week after week.
    Many of the things he said and did would have been enough to create an impasse i.e. they would no longer be on speaking terms, let alone living in the same house.
    As for Angela Channing, don't get me started. The Colbys Household became a war zone but no-one ever considered moving out in order to preserve their sanity.

All these characters are not supposed to be in a better place as it would undermine the show's raison d'être.
    However, the Krystle/Alexis feud watered down significantly, they never became friends but sometimes if felt a bit too cosy.
    Then again, Alexis also had her fair share of tragedies, first with Steven and after that Fallon's "death". And since Krystle was the compassionate character…

Soaps don't have to be believable, as long as it's not impossible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,328
    Medals:
    Yes, context is everything, and DYNASTY didn't do context terribly well after its first couple of seasons.

It still irks me how casually Krystle is lying around in regal couture on a chaise lounge reading a snooty magazine while her step-grandson has been kidnapped -- and when there's a knock on her bedroom door, she doesn't even look up with any curiosity.

That may not have been a jump-the-shark moment, but it certainly suggested blood was in the water.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Remember when her champagne was burned?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    Allegedly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    They could have come up with a better excuse for Alexis to continue waltzing into the Carrington mansion. Like, what if she were invited over by Steven or Adam or Jeff? None of them knew what Alexis had done (well, Adam did, but they never explained how; it actually would have been interesting if he overheard a few interesting details, put two and two together, and made a shot-in-the-dark accusation that happened to be right on target), and there was no way Krystle and Blake could prove it. So their hands would be tied and they'd be forced to watch their sons/stepsons/son-in-law consort with Alexis on the Carrington property.

Plus, Blake still had the manslaughter charge over his head. If Alexis should be found dead, all eyes would look straight at him. Even if it wasn't him or Krystle (like if they hired a hit-man), it would still look suspicious enough for an investigation. Steven himself would certainly be most suspicious, and he did, after all, testify against his father in court. Who's to say he wouldn't do it again?

14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Medals:
    Well she was sometimes there to visit her children and grandson which is a legitimate enough reason for her to be in the mansion. That is where they live and she should still be able to do that even if she has beef with Blake and Krystle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    Her children are adults, and it's not really their house. As for visitation rights (grandchildren), this could happen in a different place (Alexis' apartment, for example) if that's what the parents wanted, or in this case, if Blake had instructed his children that this could not happen in his house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Medals:
    Sure, it's a weird situation that her grown children still live with their dad, but it is and always has been their home, even if it technically belongs to Blake. Anyway, as we know soaps need areas where there characters can converge and sometimes logic goes a bit out the window to make that happen, but as long as it's not too overtly contrived looking I'm ok with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    I agree, besides, the mansion is supposed to be so big, what are the odds that they would bump into eachother?
    Come to think of it, it's amazing that they always managed to find the person they needed to talk to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Medals:
    When it doubt, hang out near the staircase. That's usually a pretty good bet.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    There should have been a joke like that. I just imagined a scene where Sammy Jo is walking down the hall, munching on a snack, when she sees Amanda sitting on the staircase.

Sammy Jo: Hey, what's up?

Amanda: I'm looking for Adam.

Sammy Jo: (pauses in taking a bite out of her snack) No, you're not. You're just sitting there.

Amanda: Oh, in a house this big, its better to just wait in an area you know they're bound to walk by.

Cue Adam coming from downstairs.

Amanda: See?

Sammy Jo: Oooh... (takes another bite)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I understand all of this, but if Krystle is lady of the manor and she distrust Alexis, Alexis should have no place in that house. Period.

It was necessary that she keep sauntering in and out for the show, but it made no sense in reality. Not without subsequent scenes where maybe Krystle’s mental health is questioned, perhaps due to complications from the fall, and then she HERSELF begins to question whether Alexis really did it. That air of doubt, coming from the person who initially instigated the accusation, is enough for everyone to understand why Alexis comes and goes at times, and then comes and gets thrown out at others. But I guess that was too much nuance for the show, even then.

As for Alexis’ testimony on the stand regarding Ellen… I consider that non-canon! No plot that begins with a so-called “seven years marriage” backstory should be given any long-term credence. Stricken from the record.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1