In the Spotlight with Angela Channing Top 20 - The Result

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    Soap Chat.png
    Music Fan.png
    Spotlight.png

This week it’s all about @Angela Channing

Angela...png

Angela will post his 20 favourite songs and all that is asked of you is to look through this list and rank your ten favourites from that list.

It’s going to be interesting to see what you think of Angela’s song choices and I’m sure Angela is looking forward to seeing what comes out on top.

Payton will post his 20 by the end of
    Saturday 10th February

Please have your top ten in by the end of
    Saturday 17th February

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    It's so exciting to share some of my favourite music on this forum so thank you for this opportunity.

Songs which would have been in my top 20 (some in fact would have made my top 5) but I didn't included because other forum members already had them in their top 20 are Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To) by Diana Ross, Like A Prayer by Madonna, Macarthur Park by Donna Summer, Winner Takes It All by Abba and The Eve of The War by Jeff Wayne.

Here's my top 20 and like me it's a eclectic mix with a hint of depression and political overtones.

1. If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next - The Manic Street Preachers

This song is truly something special. The title alone demands you to listen to it. When I first heard this song the lyrics completely blew me away and the music is equally fabulous. The song has an epic quality, it contains drama, deep meaningful lyrics, a wonderful tune, a stunning solo guitar opening, great vocals and a good political message. It's a song that still touches my heart and my soul whenever I hear it, even 20 after it was first released.

2. Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers

I can sum up this song with a single word - WOW! It's the song that made me a Chemical Brothers fan. When I hear it I feel like getting up and dancing. Simply brilliant and I never tire of playing it.

3. Devil's Nightmare - Oxide & Neutrino

Another epic song. A grand mix of Georgian chants and garage music to produce a totally awesome and memorable piece of music.

4. All Together Now - The Farm
    https://youtu.be/iRgtzZ-mOQo
    This song always reminds me of when I was at university when I would spend many an evening in the Student Union bar with friends drinking Marston's Pedigree and putting money in the juke box to listen to this tune.

5. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    https://youtu.be/qrO4YZeyl0I
    From the first time I heard this song when it was played on the radio I loved it. I still think it's a modern day masterpiece of electopop.

6. In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    https://youtu.be/6am8V5KNJ4A
    This song is more than great music, it's a social message telling us that our lives are interconnected and we should look out for each other because when things go wrong we all pay the consequences. Every life is valuable and every life should be valued, all conveyed by Elvis in a few glorious minutes. Nothing short of Brilliant.

7. I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
    https://youtu.be/hamKl-su8PE
    I just love this song and is one of my favourites to sing at karaoke nights. It’s a high-octane blast of energy expressed in a musical form. It’s a song that makes you want to jump up and punch the air.

8. Theme From MASH - The Mash
    https://youtu.be/VlZdFmEdffg
    Who would have thought a song about suicide could be so fantastic? I don't know who The Mash are but the vocals on this song are just perfect for the lyrics, conveying a sense of despondency without being too depressing.

9. Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    https://youtu.be/W4ga_M5Zdn4
    The book of Ecclesiastes is one of the books of The Bible that I've read the most often and one of the reasons why I like this song is that it cleverly uses verses from Ecclesiastes to form its lyrics. However, it’s not a religious song, just a song with a great message for humankind and a mild pro-peace sentiment.

10. Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    https://youtu.be/UANLvlQKYcI
    I've always liked the song Windmills of Your Mind from The Thomas Crown Affair film but when I heard the original sung by its writer, Michel Legrand (who is better known as a composer of film scores), I thought his version brought so much more feeling and drama to it that it elevates the song to being something even more special.

11. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    https://youtu.be/cd_Fdly3rX8
    My earliest memory of liking a pop record was this one. It is so good, as is the original French version by Jacques Brel and it was difficult to decide which of the two to put in my top 20. I like Season In the Sun so much I rewrote its lyrics for The Batchelorette! :)

12. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    https://youtu.be/KFrG6S0GnhU
    I first became aware of this fantastic song because it is mentioned in the Snow Patrol song Hand's Open which encouraged me to track it down and I was so glad I did because it’s a truly special song. When I first heard it I immediately loved it and it's easy to understand why Snow Patrol lyrics called it "your favourite song".

13. Feet It - The Tamperer (Featuring Maya)
    https://youtu.be/Ht-m4vMWRqA
    This song takes me back to a time when I used to go clubbing. It a great song to dance to, listen to and sing along with.

14. Comme D'habitude - The Philippine Madrigal Singers (aka Madz)
    https://youtu.be/mjBFD0JE-dM
    A French song, that most people know in English, sung by a Philippine group without any instrumental accompaniment doesn't sound promising but is in fact sensational. The clarity and precision of the voices is tremendous and harmonies they produce is something special.

15. Redemption Song - Bob Marley
    https://youtu.be/QrY9eHkXTa4
    There aren't words that can adequately express how much I love this song. The best acoustic recording ever; it's just Bob and his guitar. It's not just great music and great vocals but also poetry of the highest order. "How long shall they kill our prophets while we stand aside and look, some say it's just a part of it, we've got to fulfil the book" is just one example of the lyrical genius of the song. This was Bob's final song on his final album recorded shortly before he died and it's not only his best it’s also a timeless classic.

16. When You Tell Me That You Love Me - Diana Ross
    https://youtu.be/OIMXgVrZXVk
    I love Diana Ross's music and this song from the later part of her long career is one of her best.

17. The Last Film - Kissing The Pink
    https://youtu.be/19Oko9oEu3s
    I love the anger and passion with which this is sung. The song builds and eerie atmosphere of doom and despondency which compliments its anti-war message stating that people lie about the reasons to justify fighting so it can be glamourised when in reality war always horrible.

18. Losing My Religion - REM
    https://youtu.be/xwtdhWltSIg
    When I go running I like singing songs in my head and this is one that I always associate with my training for my first marathon. It's also a stunning song with a great tune and interesting lyrics.

19. Peter Fox - Alles Neu
    https://youtu.be/qdtLCfEcPL4
    This is a newish one for me. I read an article about Peter Fox in magazine not long ago which encouraged me to listen to his music. I don't speak any German but that didn't stop me from appreciating how good he is and this is my favourite song of his.

20. Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
    https://vimeo.com/187710154
    It hard to articulate exactly why I like this song, I just do. I first heard this song on the radio when I was at university and it immediately grabbed my attention. I didn’t know any of Bob Dylan’s music at the time but I loved the bitter tone in his voice when he sings this song and the lyrics calling out a friend who has been duplicitous and backstabbing are compelling.

Summary
    If You Tolerate This (Then Your Children Will Be Next) - The Manic Street Preachers
    Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers
    Devil's Nightmare - Oxide & Neutrino
    All Together Now - The Farm
    Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
    Theme From MASH - The Mash
    Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    Feet It - The Tamperer (Featuring Maya)
    Comme D'habitude - The Philippine Madrigal Singers
    Redemption Song - Bob Marley
    When You Tell Me That You Love Me - Diana Ross
    The Last Film - Kissing The Pink
    Losing My Religion - REM
    Peter Fox - Alles Neu
    Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    Then it's a very fitting title:)

That's why I knew it was you (although it was Emelee who had to guess, not me).

• Like Like x 3
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    I'm always really bad at hiding my identity in games but that's part of my charm. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,006
    I've missed these several weeks in a row now so I figured I'd try to get an early vote in... :)

1. In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    Love Elvis. Love this song and the social message in it.

2. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga

Love this song. Lady Gaga is brilliant. She truly is. She's gonna be in Stockholm next week. I was almost tempted to go to her concert. Maybe some other year.

3. When You Tell Me That You Love Me - Diana Ross
    Love this song. Although I prefer her remake with Westlife over the original.

4. Losing My Religion – REM
    This song makes me think of Beverly Hills 90210. I think it might have been played in the background of one of the Brenda/Dylan scenes. Odd association I know.

5. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    I remember singing this song at music class at school.

6. Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
    I don't remember where I've heard this before. But it seems familiar somehow. Anyway I like the music arrangement and his voice.

7. If You Tolerate This (Then Your Children Will Be Next) - The Manic Street Preachers

Never heard this before. It seems like any other pop song at first. But if you really listen to the lyrics it's not. It says something about our society today and how it needs to change before the next generation that grows up will be lost.

8. Comme D'habitude - The Philippine Madrigal Singers
    I sang in a choir for many years while growing up. So I have a soft spot for choirs. Also "My Way" is a brilliant song in any language. ;)

9. Theme From MASH - The Mash
    I remember my dad used to watch this show when I was a kid. I'm sure it was several years behind the USA like our TV channels always were in the 1980s. :lol:

10. Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    Never heard it before. But it's simply beautiful.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    1. Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    A song that feels exactly as it sounds: entrancing. Even if you don't like the vocals or struggle with the foreign lyrics, you can't fight it. You can't stop the windmills.

2. Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers (I love the "Knight Rider" sound)
    3. Losing My Religion - REM
    4. Theme From MASH - The Mash
    5. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    6. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    7. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    8. Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    9. In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    10. When You Tell Me That You Love Me - Diana Ross

:love8:

• Like Like x 6
  7. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    Thanks @Angela Channing, i love many of your favorite songs. :)

01. When You Tell Me That You Love Me - Diana Ross
    I agree with you, i love this late Diana Ross song to.

02. In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    I'm a Elvis fan and I love this late 60's song, one of his best songs.

03. Losing My Religion – REM
    I remember when this song was on the radio, i sang it many times while i was riding on my bike to school.

04. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    I'm not a Gaga fan, but i love this song,

05. Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    A beautiful French song, i love it, i sounds indeed familiar to me.

06. If You Tolerate This (Then Your Children Will Be Next) - The Manic Street Preachers
    This song sounds familiar to me, but i can't remember from where, maybe also from the radio. :rolleyes:

07. Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers
    I like the beat and the videoclip from this song

08. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    A real 70's classic song.

09. Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
    I don't know much Bob Dylan songs, but i do like this one.

10. Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    Another classic 60's song.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    I saw Lady Gaga live in London on her Monster Ball tour in 2010 and it was one of the best concerts I've been too. I was so impressed by how multi-talented she is. I knew she was a great singer and dancer and I suspected she would put on a lavish show but what I didn't expect was when she sat on the stage on her own with just a piano and sang the most beautiful gentle ballad which contrasted sharply with the loud energetic set she did immediately before. I couldn't help thinking she gave 100% that night and was great value for money.

I do speak a bit of French but you don't need to appreciate this song. I always feel Michel Legrand conveys the story and sentiment of the song with the intonation and emotion in his voice making the actual words a bit redundant in understanding the song.

It's easy to think that Diana's Ross's best work as a solo artist was in the 1970 when she had most of her hits but she was still knocking out some powerful music in the 1990s as this song exemplifies.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    My first impression is that it "puts" me in late 60s France, but not for the obvious reason.
    To compare, Jacques Dutronc's "Il Est Cinq Heures, Paris S'éveille" is all about late 60s France and yet I associate the sound with my home country.
    Anyway, Les Moulins doesn't stay in France because as the song progresses my state of mind starts to drift, wander or whatever you like to call it. And every time I listen to it, I end up in a different place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    I've not heard that song in years, I'm going to head to YouTube later to listen to it. I agree it does have a real 1960 feel about it whereas Michel Legrand's Les Moulins De Mon Coeur does have more of a timeless quality about it.

There are so many great French songs from that era but I tried to limit how many I included in my top 20. Had I done I done my next favourite 20 songs, I would have included La Mer by Charles Trenet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    Foreign Language Songs (everything but English) has also been suggested for a music top ten.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    I'll look forward to that round very much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yes that's right @Angela Channing, Diana's best songs came from the 70's, i really felt that she made a comeback with that song "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", but I still like to listen to her later albums also.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,006
    I can imagine. I'm glad you had such a great Lady Gaga concert. :)
    She is coming to Stockholm on a Thursday I think and it's a 2 hours drive in each direction. So it's not something you want to do on a work night. It would have been different if it had been on a weekend. Anyway this clip is actually what made me want to go see her concert:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,992
    1. If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next - The Manic Street Preachers
    A great manics song.

I hadn’t heard this one before and hearing it for the first time was like being on an adventure which I didn’t want to end. I love the energy of this music.

3. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    A classic weepie that I never tire of hearing. A few weeks ago I was at a 21st party and I was amazed because all ages (from 13 upwards) knew the lyrics to this song.

4. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    Prior to you nominating Sufjan Stevens in the nomination threads Angela, I hadn’t heard of this singer before and I like his voice, especially on this song.

5. Feet It - The Tamperer (Featuring Maya)
    A song with attitude and I enjoy the sampling of ‘Can You Feel It’

6. Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    8. The Last Film - Kissing The Pink
    10,Losing My Religion – REM

Thank you @Angela Channing for sharing such a varied mix of your favourite songs.

For Ome
    3. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    4. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    6. Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds
    8. The Last Film - Kissing The Pink
    10.Losing My Religion – REM

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  16. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,531
    I will comment the songs this time, at least give it a try. I am lousy at reviewing music.

1. If You Tolerate This (Then Your Children Will Be Next) - The Manic Street Preachers
    I love this song and it's message. Beautiful sound, great voice. My favorite line is "so if I can't shoot rabbits, then I can't shoot fascists".

2. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
    Just the instrumental part alone is brilliant, and so is the sad lyrics. Gets me every time. One of the few songs that can make me cry.

3. Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
    This was a great discovery. I have never heard this Dylan song before. It should be one of his best of's, IMO. The tone is just right.

4. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    My favorite Gaga song, hands down. From the beginning to the end, it beats out all her other hits.

So many teenage memories! I loved this one back in the days. Though I never understood the line "what's she gonna look like with a chimney on her".

6. Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers
    This is an example of a song that hardly needs the lyrics because the instrumentals are so fantastic.

7. All Together Now - The Farm
    New discovery. And I think the video contributed to my feelings about it. All I remember was the older man and the older woman. They made me feel good.

8. In the Ghetto - Elvis Presley
    This is on and off my favorite Elvis song. The lyrics are so touching, they make me want to adopt the little kid.

9. Les Moulins De Mon Coeur - Michel Legrand
    I have no idea what he sings, but it sounds sexy. Not the words, but the way he sings them.

10. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
    I'm usually not a fan of his, but this song was the best I've heard from him yet.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    This is not just may favourite lyric in this song but one of my favourite lyrics in any song.

I think it's a Wizard of Oz reference. Early in the film one of the witches is killed when Dorothy's house lands on her so the line is either calling her a witch or it's suggesting she should suffer a similar fate as the witch. I base this on when Maya sang the song on Top of The Pops dressed as Dorothy, complete with a stuffed top Toto dog.

[​IMG]

The video is great, isn't it? I've often wondered if it's the parents or other relatives of The Farm that appear in the video because I can see resemblances.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    Sufjan Stevens wrote the music for the film Call Me By Your Name and he has been nominated for an Oscar for best song. If he wins he might finally become mainstream. The song, Mystery of Love, is great and would be a worthy winner.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,992
    Thats a beautiful song and I hope he gets the Oscar, he deserves it. I wonder what other songs are in the running?

He is a talented guy and deserves more recognition. Its a great feeling when you witness an artist you enjoy finally being appreciated by more people.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,445
    I saw her perform the song in a gay club back in the day. She was wearing the same outfit and carrying the same stuffed dog. Minds were blown.