Angela Good To The Last Drop?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,375
    Medals:
    One of the things I dislike in long running soap operas is when the writers change a character significantly so they behave in a way that it totally unrecognisable to the person we originally knew. Did that ever happen to Angela? Looking back on the entire run of the series, I think her character was pretty consistent throughout its run but I am I right?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Well, IMO post-Season 6 Angela had a total lack of empathy with anybody at all. The fact of trying to get Melissa even crazier was an example of that since she herself was the mother of 2 (or 3 if we count Richard too) unstable children.

Hiring that wacko FX guy was stupid and out-of-character, as was Richard´s attempt at declaring her mentally incompetent. The latter storyline was of a very bad taste given Ms. Wyman´s real-life age and especially fragile look.

Besides, those plots were full of holes and there was no consistency about why she or he did that (only "just because"...they were the baddies). The longer they ran, the crazier they got. I wonder what Angela would have done if Wyman hadn´t got sick and her character hadn´t been put in a coma...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,792
    Medals:
    Even Jane Wyman called Angela "a bitch".
    Yes, instead of the Buck Henry character, we should have had Melissa having legit hallucinations. Is she seeing ghosts? Is she faking it to achieve some goal?

I always wanted the Colbyian UFO to happen on FALCON CREST instead -- with Melissa the abduction victim (or claiming to be) as opposed to Fallon#2.

"Lance --- all that probing … it was horrible!!"
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Medals:
    Can you imagine Angelas reaction to that? :lol:
    "Oooooh Melissa, poor sweetheart, that is horrible! Please ... sit down here and tell me all about it.." while starting the tape recorder on her desk. :D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    Medals:
    Angela was always the main power, even when Jane Wyman looked visibly frail in the eighth season. However due to the show changing hands at the top after season 5 her villainy become more cartoonish. Mrs. Channing got involved in things particularly during season 6 and season 7 you couldn't have envisaged her doing, prior to Jeff Freilich taking the reigns. Although for the most part I did enjoy what he did with the show.

While Melissa was my favourite character and IMHO the one person who could convincingly take the battle to Angela for a lengthy period of time, it was Ana Alicia's character who altered significantly. Melissa became a bit like the Claudia Blaisdel of Falcon Crest i.e. unstable and even when she did get the ultimate victory over Mrs. Channing it was alas a psychological problem which contributed to her exit, early in season 8 (sadly).

Melissa is putting up a new fence, between her vineyards and the Falcon Crest property. Angela lands with a bulldozer to rip the fence down, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Angela: "Well that's a waste of money if you ask me."

Melissa: "You're up early. Looking for a worm to catch?"

Angela: "Oh, I've already got one. You don't think I would be napping while you're trespassing on my property."

Melissa: "Oh Angela! This fence is going to keep you from setting foot on my land."

Angela: "Well not quite. My surveyor report says that you are 3 inches over the line."

Melissa laughs Angela's comment off but then replies, "what the blazes are you talking about?"

Angela's dozer starts tearing down the fence.

Melissa runs in front of the dozer. "What are you doing? I demand to see the surveyor's report."

• Like Like x 3
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,761
    Medals:
    It can also be a very thrilling experience (Jill Bennett).
    upload_2019-12-7_20-44-24.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Medals:
    As Wintry North Poleson's second image eludes to the end this is when you could argue Angela was most out of character. While she was forever the matriarch this was a good example of Angela out of bitch mode. Could have been attributed to the effects of the coma, who can tell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The Lorimar honchos had a strange way to treat their ill leading ladies. When BBG had a heart attack, the last thing they made her do (after her comeback and before her being replaced by Ms. Dread) was to get into the back of a car, bandages and all (as if ready for Thanksgiving!). Wyman had had health problems for a long time and they filmed her in her bed hospital in a coma. I call that BAD TASTE.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    Medals:
    The 9th season scene prior to Jane leaving FC for health reasons was supposed to be more macabre. However the leading star of the show put her foot down and so the scene appeared more diluted, if you could even term it that way. Charley St. James rarely did dilution, as he was rotten to the core.

Jane Wyman speaks about the final episode and how the show altered in recent years, ('behind the scenes' from season 9, 1989 - '90):

"I wanted to tie up the show; mention everyone who was gone, the grandfather, Melissa, Cole and Maggie, so that the loyal audience we had wouldn't feel cheated if they had been taken in a different direction by the producers that they didn't understand and frankly I didn't either. It was a wonderful experience but I wasn't sorry to see it end because of the way it was going. The first six years of the show were marvellous. Then they started tampering with it. I get so much mail from people, saying they can't understand what happened."

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Medals:
    Alexis Smith aka Jessica could easily have been a FC character and what they had her doing with Miss Ellie was like something from the wine producing based series. Those tomatoes, keep an eye on those tomatoes for god sake.

• Funny Funny x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)