1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another actor for Wes Parmalee

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,003
    Medals:
    No, I don't think that would have worked.

Swami

2. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Brian Keith? 6E181E1C-4856-405E-961C-9C382624617D.jpeg

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    I wouldn't have used another actor for Wes Parmalee, Steve Forrest was perfect. He was a similar height & build & even had a similar bottom to Jim too. If it had've been up to me as Executive Producer of Dallas, I would have kept Steve Forrest on as Jock Ewing.

Yes he looked nothing like Jim Davis but that was explained away by the plastic surgery.

I would've had Wes bring irrefutable proof that he was actually Jock by him showing Miss Ellie a mole which he had on his chest to which Miss Ellie would recoil in shock. Something so simple as that which would prove exactly who he was. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Medals:
    Their builds were nothing alike.

Suppose they do that and according to your story, because Wes brings irrefutable proof that he is Jock. Everyone who doubted him would then feel terribl and apologize profusely and say how wonderful it is to find out their beloved father is alive and well.

Then the show is stuck with an actor who the audience doesn't associate with Jock, just like they didn't think of Donna Reed as Miss Ellie. The fake Miss Ellie failed! Nobody liked that because they had already associated a specific actress with Miss Ellie. They already associated Jim Davis with Jock, so again, it won't work.

I've read that daytime soap operas do that sort of thing all the time because their audience tolerates it. Daytime soap opera compared to a primetime drama is like minor league baseball compared to Major League Baseball. At the top level of anything, the audience's standards are set a lot higher.

5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,991
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The only actor I can see as NuJock aka Parmalee is, funnily, Steve Forrest´s brother, Dana Andrews, as I said before in another thread. That way we could have a more interesting plot with Andrews playing a, let´s say, agonizing Jock (à la Garrison), who returns when he knows that his own brother, Jason, played by Forrest, is pretending to be him and "get all that was his". Twisted but also delicious. La Cidre would have loved it if she had known who Jock was, of course...

[​IMG]

"Dammit boys, I´ll beat the hell out of you two!"​

6. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +661
    I couldn’t get past the age difference, the vocal difference, and the difference in mannerisms to truly believe Steve Forrest as Jock. James Arness would have been better. But they had the best outcome - they didn’t have anyone as a Jock recast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    You don't know that for certain that the audience would'nt have ended up liking Steve Forrest's portrayal as Jock. They could've grown to love him. Yeah I'm prepared for a certain amount of a fan backlash but it's never a good idea to listen to a show's fans! I would've made sure that Jim Davis's portrayal as Jock wasn't forgotten in the wake of the re-cast.

As Executive Producer of Dallas the final decision would've been mine! Just as the final decision to bring back Patrick Duffy was Leonard Katzman's! And we all know what that did to the show. :)

8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Medals:
    I don't know for certain that they wouldn't have ended up liking Steve Forrest's portrayal as Jock but I know for certain that the response they had gotten to that point was overwhelmingly negative. They got a huge amount of letters from fans who hated the idea of Steve Forest playing the role Jim Davis had played. It's possible they could have done something else with Steve Forrest that would have worked better, but based on all indications at the time, what they were doing with him wasn't working.

A business has to listen to the people who consume their product to get an idea of what's working and what isn't working. I agree that you don't let the fans tell you how to run your show, but a company that continues running shows that are getting an overwhelmingly negative response is a company that isn't listening to its fans enough.

We saw what happened when Dallas took a character and despite the negative reaction, they remained insistent on featuring that character no matter what. They were determined to ram that character down the throats of the audience and make them like the character! That doesn't work. James is an example of that in Dallas. Elena is an example of that in TNT Dallas.

With Steve Forrest, I think there was a place for him on Dallas, but not as Jock. When they'd previously tried to recast a well established character it failed. The other time they had tried to bring back a character they told the audience was dead, it became the butt of a joke.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    My decision to keep Steve Forrest as Jock Ewing stands. I am Executive Producer of Dallas after all & my decision is final.

If you'll excuse me Kenny, I'm phoning Steve Forrest! ;) :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    that is acceptable only under one condition: Steve must agree to complete a course of elocution lessons focused on the proper pronunciation of ‘biness’

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    That will be really up to the Director's. However I shall mention it to him on the phone.

Steve may not want to emulate the role's originator too much but put his own stamp on the role. I don't like to put my foot down about this too much!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to make a phone call. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    I suppose that’s fair. I have more important biness to attend to anyway, namely the search for a third actor to portray the return of the mysterious Cousin Jimmy Monahan.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    Cousin Jimmy! I've already decided on another actor for him, after much searching Casper Van Dien is to take the role. ;) :D

14. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Medals:
    Damn it, Guzzler, it's "bidness"! ;) I like your idea though. Steve Forrest's delivery was too smooth and gentle sounding. Jock spoke in a gruff, gravelly, very abrupt way that was direct and to the point. Jock spoke in a way that would give an SJW a stroke. "Safe space? What the hell are you talkin' about boy? I've got a safe space for you out behind the barn"!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    Jock Ewing, either Jim Davis or Steve Forrest will never get me behind the barn to do any business, bidness or biness!!

You're out of order Kenny & as Executive Producer of Dallas I expect an apology immediately otherwise I shall bring back Donna Reed as Miss Ellie!! :p

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +661
    And Phil Capice!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,452

What you are not aware of is that after coming back to the States & before getting the job on the Running Zee Wes ran into a man called Steve Austin. With Steve's help & that of Oscar Goldman & the OSI, they completely re-built Wes.

We can rebuild him, we have the technology to make the worlds first bionic Ewing. Better than he was before, better, stronger, faster. ;) :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +184
    So, if Wes had turned out to be Jock, what were they going to do with Clayton? That would certainly could have created an interesting storyline.

19. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    Medals:
    It seemed like they were going somewhere with that. Clayton wasn't satisfied with the explanation relayed by Miss Ellie and talked about going to look for Wes. But then it was all quietly forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Medals:
    If he'd been Jock and Miss Ellie lied about him not being Jock, don't you think as Clayton was leaving to go look for him, she'd have then told the truth so as to avoid Clayton possibly killing Jock and ending up in prison? I'm not sure what the motivation to her would have been to lie about something that serious at all, but when she fully realized Clayton was really intent on killing him, don't you think at that point she'd decide she better tell the truth?