1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else hate TNT ?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by SaveDallasCMT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. SaveDallasCMT

SaveDallasCMT Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Regardless of whether you like the version of Dallas 2012 that was tossed out to us. Just in general that they gave us no closure what so ever.

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    "Hate" is such a powerful, emotive word. Disappointing would be the word I'd use when describing Dallas TNT.

3. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,026
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I don't hate any network TV, if I like a show I like a show and that's it.

If a show gets cancelled, depending on how much I love the show I would be disappointed, but when I have an average of ten others shows airing I just carry on with them.

With so much choice today, why would I waste my time fretting over a show that was cancelled? Life's too short to be moaning about what could be and what isn't.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Karin Schill
    Fine

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,454
    Original Member Since:
    September 2004
    No I don't hate them. I might not like their programming and I'm not watching. But that's another matter.

But yes I do think that they treated Dallas fans badly. I do understand it was a business decision on their part but the fair thing to do would have been to have ordered a short season, say 5-10 episodes to wrap up the show on a positive note rather than to leave us with that annoying Cliffhanger. Since they were dealing with a show that goes back almost 40 years they should have given more consideration to the fans instead of treating it like any of their cancelled newbie shows that don't have that kind of following. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. SaveDallasCMT

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I know it was a business decision and a rather stupid one for a show that had 36 years of history in 2014 and I think Warner Bros got greedy with the license fee when they were shopping it around for those 6 weeks in October/November 2014. Longmire got to live on with Netflix and Dallas got screwed over. TNT SUCKS!

6. Sarah
    Cynical

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    No more than I hated CBS for axing original Dallas in 1991.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Original Member Since:
    Labor Day Weekend 2005
    By 1991, it needed to go. A 1990 cancellation wouldn't have been so bad, either. The show had really reached the pits by then.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SaveDallasCMT

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    CBS gets a free pass for canceling the original Dallas in 1991 since they are a real network, but TNT is just a little dinky crappy low rent trashy cable network full of reruns so they don't get a free pass for canceling Dallas 2012 in 2014.

9. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,026
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    MAJOR CRIMES is a great show, as was THE CLOSER

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Original Member Since:
    Labor Day Weekend 2005
    Plus, they do a terrific job with NBA coverage.

11. SaveDallasCMT

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The current management at TNT will probably dump Major Crimes in a year or 2 since it don't mix with their new "edgy" trash shows.

12. Karin Schill
    Fine

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,454
    Original Member Since:
    September 2004
    Yeah that sucks! I guess it was the international deals that really prevented Netflix to pick up Dallas. It's silly though since Dallas is more popular around the globe it got cancelled earlier than a show that most people abroad has never even heard about! :(

• Like Like x 2
  13. Barbara Fan
    Angelic

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    Original Member Since:
    Dallas was cancelled by TNT because it failed to impress on all levels and most people switched off in droves
    and the main reason to watch ie Larry Hagman died.
    Why would any network touch it with a barge pole??

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis
    Angelic

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Why is ok for a big network to cancel a show and not ok for a smaller one? I don't see the logic in that at all.

15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    That's a very good point. Dallas has more broad appeal than a program like Longmire. I have heard of this show but have not watched it to understand its appeal. A company like Netflix must keep an eye (their streaming services) on what customers are watching hence why they invested in Fuller House and the soon to be seen Gilmore Girls. I personally think this is the future of our viewing habits, something commercial networks around the world clearly do not understand. United States ratings alone suggested the interest in Dallas was still there however by episode 2 half that number had fallen off. I can only suggest the majority of those viewers who did not return were fans that followed the original season run, 1978-1991, and the Dallas Movies. Once again the new crowd (Cyntax) did not understand the loyalty of those fans and punched us in the face with their tinkering of Dallas history by slipping in the Ramos family. Boo!

Whether Dallas will return (one day) in any form I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Original Member Since:
    July 13, 2008
    At the time of its cancellation, Dallas was one of the lowest rated shows on TNT. As such, it got cancelled. It was a no-brainer.

That's what all TV networks do. They calculate the average ratings of their shows and come up with a chart. And then the lowest rated shows at the bottom of that chart -- which drag down the average ratings of the network as a whole -- get cancelled and replaced by new shows in an attempt to find shows that would do better and improve the overall average.

The objective of every network is to increase its average ratings. You do so by regularly getting rid of the bottom half. And Dallas was pretty much at the very bottom.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    It didn't deserve to give "closure." That might have legitimized it as a continuation and that nonsense was better off as forgotten and never to have happened.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SaveDallasCMT

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Because Dallas had a healthy 14 season run in 1991 with many 30 episode seasons, where as on that little cable network we only got 40 episodes and a dissatisfied feeling wanting more and also because it was the only reason to watch that little rerun filled channel.

19. Alexis
    Angelic

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Oh so big means right and small means wrong? I get ya.
    Original Dallas had a good run for 10 seasons, actually after season 10 original Dallas is pretty awful. Those 30 plus episode seasons aren't to be a gauge of quality either. That just means the greedy network wanted to crank as much juice out of the product as humanly possible, at the expense of the show. Grind it out TV, where the writing suffers because the plots often have to be dragged out to torturous lengths and stories become convoluted.

I wasn't a fan of TNT Dallas but to be honest it was never in the same league as the original show. It's apples and oranges. They cant really be compared. TNT Dallas didn't fail because it was on a small cable network. It could have thrived there. It failed because it was so unlike Dallas. It wasn't written like the original show. It failed because the creative people didn't really know what Dallas was and so couldn't recreate that.

• Like Like x 6
  20. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Original Member Since:
    June 2001
    New Dallas was an odd show. On one hand, it gave us proper closure for JR and Pam, JR went out on top, John Ross was a terrific conflicted character, Sue Ellen's relapses were poignant, and the kitchen argument between Sue Ellen and John Ross was heart wrenching because of the history it evoked.

On the other hand, this is the same show that gave us continuity issues, the cover up of Tommy Sutter's death, Cliff killing his unborn grandchildren, smug Christopher, the boring race car episode, Ann's kangaroo court trial, Judith Ryland snorting coke and running a brothel in broad daylight, a guy in a dog suit, evil Harris doubling as a CIA agent, a drug cartel terrorizing people, and so on. It was all over the place, and none of this shit ever felt like Dallas to me.

I'm convinced Cidre didn't understand the show. The continuity mistakes alone speak volumes to that fact. Also, when she would stumble upon something that worked and evoked the original series, she would quickly revert back to her usual nonsense. I would have been interested in another network picking up the show, but only if the writing staff was replaced. I wouldn't have been interested in more of the same dreck that caused viewers to switch off in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3