1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else hate TNT ?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by SaveDallasCMT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Christine

Christine Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Original Member Since:
    November 9, 2000
    When they cancelled Dallas, I actually did stop watching Falling Skies and The last ship, the other two TNT shows that I was watching. It's a childish reaction but it felt good deleting all the episodes that I had been taping. But to be honest, I thought the 2 shows sucked anyway. BUT I think I would have watched seasons 4+5 of Falling Skies, had they not cancelled Dallas. :D

2. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +428
    I don't hate TNT network but I disliked the show, writers and producers because of how they presented the show and the storylines they concocted. I cannot fault the network for cancelling a show not bringing the money or the amount of viewers it thought it would and for listening to the viewers who disliked the show and was disappointed by it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Presea
    Cynical

Presea Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    I didn't like the new Dallas, but I have no reason to hate TNT. They aren't the ones who made it.

4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Original Member Since:
    Jan 2012
    I don't hate but I lay some blame with them too. They should have stood up and demanded more since they were paying the bills. Does speak well for their ability to manage a public company's investment.

5. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,718
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    What a bunch!
    I think it's time for a re-watch thread:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Toni
    Artistic

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I don´t think TNT will ever have the status that others like HBO, Showtime or AMC have, one just has to look at the shows each of the four have aired so far. The only series I was really surprised that came from TNT recently was "Good Behavior", which is a true gem. I had to double-check if it was a TNT production!!

The problem with "Dallas" being cancelled was the whole situation around it. Giving sports so much relevance over any kind of fiction, giving closure to other shows of its own like "Falling Skies" but not "Dallas"...You could hear the new big shots at TNT laughing at it, saying their grandmothers used to watch the original one...That´s the real issue: disrespect to whatever is not "shock value" or "sexist cliché ridden". I´ll always defend, though, the TNT marketing machine (Linda, Patrick and Larry were everywhere at the time!!) despite that awful last trailer of "One Ewing will die..." but...what show hasn´t done it some time?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sarah
    Cynical

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,977
    I'm not a fan of whoever it was to cancel Dallas with such blatent disrespect for the cast and fans, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Barbara Fan
    Angelic

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,977
    Original Member Since:
    original Dallas Sarah or TNT version??

Im glad TNT was cancelled and it could do no more damage to a show i loved, it was embarassing and quite awful in parts,

Im glad it was put out of its misery, it made me hate it!

and a lot of fans tuned out for said reasons - it was hurting the Dallas brand

It/TNT version killed Dallas dead in UK, it barely gets a mention now, up to TNT version Dallas was still in the press

9. Angela Channing
    Cloud_9

Angela Channing Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    Original Member Since:
    I completely agree. This new thing that TNT put out completely tarnished my memory of Dallas, not just because the new show was bad but also because I think they spoilt how I thought about some characters. It deserved to be cancelled, my main regret that it wasn't done sooner.

However, I don't hate TNT for trying to revive Dallas because initially I was excited about seeing New Dallas, I just wish they did a better job of it.

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    And for a show that was to be about the next generation I found it amusing more often than not it was Larry, Patrick and Linda receiving the most attention with respects to promoting TNT Dallas. Not that I had any issues with it...more the merrier I say. But for those behind the scenes and their incessant, "This is about the next generation of Ewings," it was poetic most viewers only had eyes for Larry, Patrick and Linda.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Maybe my brain is wired differently but I won't allow TNT Dallas to tarnish my memories of Lorimar Dallas. Just like I don't allow anything post "Swan Song" to ruin my fondness for those first several seasons of Dallas because that's how damn good it was.

I view TNT Dallas now as some bizarre parallel story in the Dallas Universe. I'd like to offer my theory. JR Ewing in one of his most elaborate schemes places himself in the sanitarium. When that evil James destroys the papers and JR is dragged out of the room by the men in white coats I've taken on board that JR was placed in a permanent drug induced state. What we witness from that scene till today is JR's alternative drug infused Dallas which includes the remaining Lorimar Dallas, the reunion movies and that GOD awful TNT Dallas. :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,718
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    [​IMG]

:popcorn:

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    The only good things about TNT Dallas was watching Larry Hagman in his element one last time, finally writing Pam out which was done pretty well and watching Josh Henderson as John Ross. The rest was pretty much awful. I don't hate TNT for canceling it. I hate the people who made TNT Dallas and didn't care much about the original in the first place.

14. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    So much potential for the next generation too but they blew it. No Lucas, No Margaret, no mention of Cally's baby. Having Ray and Lucy just hanging around SF with no purpose. They could have given Lucy a child too. Instead focusing on characters nobody cared about.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  15. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Original Member Since:
    June 2001
    Now there's a polarizing character! Some loved her, some hated her.

Personally, I thought she was too theatrical of a villain for a show like Dallas. She was more of a caricature than a fully fleshed out character.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    And of course you're right. But since all of nuDALLAS' characters weren't fully fleshed out, at least she was entertaining!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Original Member Since:
    June 2001
    True. I'd only ever seen Judith Light on Whose the Boss prior to Dallas, so it was fun watching her play such an eccentric, theatrical villain.

I just thought she was wasted on Dallas, and her character felt out of place at times. As with all of the characters, I liked her best during the brief periods when the new show "worked."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Watching Judith Lights introduction was surprising as I only knew her work on Who's The Boss. I wish the writers had come up with a better character name but since the TNT Dallas creative types were lazy in most other aspects they didn't wish to stray too far from that unimaginative mindset.

19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    That still has me in stitches. There stands Cally and Mandy at JR's memorial and neither Mandy or, more importantly, Sue Ellen bring that subject up. Perhaps Sue Ellen was distracted eyeing off the bar staff wandering the room with free drinks.

I do get your point. The same has been said regarding Lucas. During one of Ray's fleeting scenes on Dallas was there any mention of Jenna, Charlie or Lucas? I don't believe there was. Other posters have rightfully pointed out that TNT Dallas should have had a history buff reading the scripts and making side notes. I'm of the belief Cynthia was driving this and wanted no part of Lorimar Dallas and it's well established characters. My gut instinct tells me she used the characters of JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Cliff, Ray, Lucy, Cally and Mandy as viewer bait, nothing more, nothing less.

Cynthia and her cohorts drove their created characters (the Ramos family) into the Dallas timeline to get the exactly what she had wished for, her version of Dallas. Even before TNT Dallas had aired it was published that David Jacobs and the union had to get involved just have his "Created by" name appear in the opening credits, followed soon after with "Developed by Cynthia Cidre. The mere fact they didn't wish to acknowledge David plus to ignore the reunion movies informed me something was already amiss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,718
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    We have the conspiracy theory!:D
    Hallelujah:)

• Like Like x 1