1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else hate TNT ?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by SaveDallasCMT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Actually, in the original pilot script it's specifically mentioned that Elena arrived in Dallas in 1992. Why they changed that I don't know, but I actually suspect it was either Warners or TNT who sent her notes on that one.

I doubt this was a creative choice as much as a business one - the reunion movies aren't in reruns, so for most people Dallas ended with JR shooting himself. It probably, in theory, sold better in potential syndication deals if they could bundle it with the original show and have the new Dallas start 20 years after that cliffhanger (which is ironic since the show ended up with a cliffhanger anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    I believe this is why so many original Dallas fans struggled with TNT Dallas. Let me be brutally honest here. I think most of those first (TNT Dallas) episode viewers were the fans of the original series tuning in to see how our family have been since we last left them in 1998. How else can you explain why so many did not return for episode 2? Much like we were meant to believe Christopher had never met Pamela Rebecca or Cliff had visited the middle east and adopted some kid off the street, this attempt at rewriting Dallas history was wrong, it was insulting. We cannot just ignore the reunion movies simply because some executive wishes to dismiss them. They're there! The reunion movies ARE part of the Dallas timeline. Granted, they are not the best, but they exist.

Dallas as a continuation would simply be the easiest story to write. Enough history and characters exist to expand the story along. Why introduce additional characters? Even Linda, post TNT Dallas, admitted to that fact. The very essence of Dallas is the Ewing family, Ewing Oil and Southfork. Always at the forefront of the story, never relegated as secondary in their own show. This is what the masses wished for. Here in Australia there was a buzz surrounding the return of the Dallas and the Ewing's. It was even granted a prime viewing slot, so confident was the network here in Australia this would be a success.

But from that opening episode I, like many curious viewers felt cheated. What the hell was I watching? Who was this Elena? Excuse me? The Ramos family grew up within the Ewing household? Had I suffered a long blink sometime in the later seasons of Lorimar Dallas? Did Miss Ellie fire Teresa and replace her with Carmen? And where is Frank (Cliff's adopted son) in Lorimar Dallas? When Cliff visited Pam (Margaret Michaels) where was this location meant to be? Is that when Cliff adopted Frank?

All these unwarranted questions. It was confusing. With Dallas I should have simply sat down on my couch and enjoyed the return of JR, Bobby, Sue Ellen, John Ross and Christopher. What had they been doing since I left them in 1998? How had the boys (John Ross and Christopher) matured? What was that wicked JR Ewing doing in his old age? Still trying to drum up deals? Blackmailing some poor sod along the way? Had Sue Ellen grown comfortable in her skin? Was she still struggling with the devil's drink? Had Bobby finally become the patriarch of Southfork and fallen in love with the land, just like Miss Ellie always had?

And what happened to the story of Miss Ellie and Clayton? How were their twilight years spent? On Southfork I hope. When I look back on the TNT Dallas experiment I now realize it doesn't marry well with Lorimar Dallas. Perhaps one day I will purchase the remaining years of Lorimar Dallas and TNT Dallas and watch the series as intended by those executives. That is. Ignore the reunion movies. It would be an interesting experiment to see if has the desired effect.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Have we been watching different versions? Because they actually showed all that, over and over again.
    Because the show needed a new start, new angles to tell a story. We've had 14 years of OldDallas, this was NuDallas.
    Sorry to say this but that doesn't sound very exciting.
    It's all good and well to hear from Lucy how she's been doing all those years, but at the end of the day it's just fun trivia - and with only 13 eps per season they couldn't afford to clutter the episodes with updates, especially if those old characters weren't relevant to the new story.
    They did it with Gary because he was relevant to a particular storyline.

Having said that, it would have been great to see the return of Donna Culver, maybe in season 4?

• Like Like x 4
  4. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Here's the thing: a lot of the criticism against nuDallas is ridiculous.

Not referring to Lucas or Cally's child? You do realise that those things happened in Dallas dying years right? Most people watching won't be Dallas buffs and will mainly remember the "Who Shot JR?" cliffhanger. That they started with a basic storyline with John Ross versus Christopher made sense. A lot of people would remember them and it wouldn't be hard for new viewers to get into it (inevitable Bobby / JR conflict from the original show). That other characters needed to be introduced to make the Ewing family less incest is best was also inevitable.

The issue is, of course, that Cidre took pride in not having watched Dallas. The problem isn't Elena or "Mexicans", it's that. She never understood what people liked about the original show, so how could she write or plot it out?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,026
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Yes, and sometimes I think a few people are trying to find something bad that no one has mentioned yet. The last few years of Dallas and the movies won't have registered with most viewers of the original.

Plus, from what I've seen in all my years on this Dallas fan forum is that most Dallas fans refuse to watch the later years, but are quick to reference these years when it comes to backing up their gripe with the TNT years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I don't know if that's good or bad.
    But the way they handled the Ewing legacy, the controversy of the JR character, the way Southfork was perceived as an almost holy place...I think they've done a great job paying tribute to the Lorimar show.
    It made me feel emotionally involved in a way the classic show never managed to do, but I guess that's a personal thing, rather than an indication of the quality of both shows.

John Ross: Uncle Bobby is the past, I am the future.
    And it's this clash of old values vs. new ambitions that made it such a compelling and also quintessential family drama.

As for the new storylines and characters: this serves as plot to make the Ewing and Barnes family react to these new developments.
    Otherwise it would be like watchting the Southfork grass grow.

There is always room for improvement, no matter how good a show is. "They could have done this, could have done that"...it's fun to discuss these possibilities.
    But we didn't have any expectations when the classic prime time soaps started. It was their idea, their story - and I think that's the point of being entertained.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I'd go further and just say they're awful. TNTDallas is at least better than those post-Pam car crash years. That some people hold those to a high standard is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Original Member Since:
    Yes! This is why many of us looked forward to the TNT Dallas.

I am one of those. The problem is that I enjoy the "feel" of the earlier seasons and wish that they could be duplicated. So given the choice, I'd rather watch the earlier seasons for fun, and the later seasons for the snark value.

And this is another missed opportunity. They could have brought back not just Donna, but many of the minor characters from "the old days".

Imagine seeing cameos by Cassie (hostess at the Cattleman's Club). Or Sherriff Washburn. Or Alan Beam.

It would be fun with all of the "Hey! It's that guy!" moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Hey look, it's that guy from OldDallas!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    Tommie isn't this a slight contradiction? You first level our criticism of nuDallas as ridiculous but then chastise Ms. Cidre for not watching Lorimar Dallas. There wouldn't be the level of criticism at Ms. Cidre if she had in fact taken a few weeks to watch Lorimar Dallas to fully appreciate how good those early years were, before the rot set in. I'll be first in line to offer high criticism of Lorimar Dallas post "Swan Song."

As for Lucas or Cally's missing child it would be natural of us to question their whereabouts. The issues from TNT Dallas stem from Ms. Cidre herself. She went out of her way to give us glimpses of Ray, Lucy and Cally. Wouldn't it be part of conversation to inquire about their loved ones? I do this when I haven't seen a relative or friend for a very long time. But when Bobby did have a scene with Ray nothing was mentioned of the poor kid, or Jenna and Charlie. It may seem trivial to some but referencing those characters would have given TNT Dallas a link to Lorimar Dallas, just like when Sue Ellen gave Emma a history lesson on where the last mistress of Mr. Ewing ended up - in the pool, face down - dead. Of course I speak of Kristin. The scene of course never made it to air, deleted for whatever purpose.

Comments I've seen regarding this deleted scene question why it was left out. I ask the same. It gives a nod to Lorimar Dallas and its colourful history. For newbies who don't understand who the hell Kristin was. Go find Lorimar Dallas and view it from beginning to end, something Ms. Cidre should have done.

11. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    The thing is that my main criticism against nuDallas isn't that so-and-so didn't appear or that I got a resolution to a favoured storyline. However, just by watching a show, especially in the hit years, makes you more able to understand why people watched the show in the first place. And watching a show in full makes you understand why people stopped watching the show.

To take the obvious example, nuDynasty, you get the sense that the writers watched the show and loved it. And they get that it needs to be what the viewers loved with is pretty basic: a soap. On the flip side you have failed reboots like Melrose Place where the writers clearly had a show in mind, which wasn't a soap, and then tried to fit it into that mould. Where does nuDallas stand? Well, rather on the Melrose Place scale. If you've watched Cynthia's show Cane then this is the follow-up. It doesn't make nuDallas a horrible show by any means just not... Dallas.