Appreciating Charlie's Angels

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by ClassyCo, Jun 4, 2017.

?

Who's your favorite Angel or Angelic trio?

1. Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson)

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Jill Munroe (Farrah Fawcett)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Kris Munroe (Cheryl Ladd)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Tiffany Welles (Shelley Hack)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Julie Rogers (Tanya Roberts)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Season 1 trio (Sabrina, Jill, and Kelly)

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  8. Seasons 2 and 3 trio (Sabrina, Kelly, and Kris)

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  9. Season 4 trio (Kelly, Kris, and Tiffany)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Season 5 trio (Kelly, Kris, and Julie)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I am a fan of many classic and camp television shows, several of which I've watched for years. Recently, I've gotten into Charlie's Angels all over again. I started watching the show back in 2009 (or maybe 2010, I can't exactly remember), and I have all five seasons on DVD. Hopefully, other Soap Chatters will share my interest in this cheesy seventies P.I. drama.

I will go into more detail later about each season and/or angelic crime-fighting trio.

But, in the mean time, who's your favorite Angel? If you don't have a favorite Angel, who's your favorite trio? Do you have a favorite episode, or favorite guest star, perhaps?

My favorite Angel and/or actress on the show is Farrah Fawcett as Jill Munroe, and my favorite episode is "Angels in Chains".

The poll has been set to where each voter can submit two answers, just in case you may have a favorite Angel as well as a favorite Angelic trio you may want to vote for. Likewise, you may have two favorite Angels or two favorite Angelic trios.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Nothing to say about this show? I know this thread is about a year old now, but no one ever replied, so let's try to kick-start it, shall we?

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    I know Kate Jackson was a neurotic mess, but I still found Sabrina the most likeable character because she seemed the most earthbound angel. And I confess to preferring the first Kate/Farrah/Jaclyn trio because they seemed a nice counterbalance to each other, three equal corners to a triangle somehow. And then the Kate/Cheryl/Jaclyn trio from S2 and S3 was acceptable, even though Farrah's sparkle was a necessary note and hard to replace.

Jaclyn always seemed to be trying to be alluring and enigmatic, while Farrah really was all bouncy hair and shiny teeth. Cheryl was the better actress of the bunch, obviously, and yet I always got a wee sleazy vibe off of her.

And who the hell signed off on Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts?? Obviously the wrong type for the show.... I'm still convinced somebody thought the Hack tie-in to the Charlie perfume was a cute reason enough to hire her. Hack was supposed to be the uptown angel, one supposes, while Tanya Roberts was the retarded slut angel.

Interestingly, since we have a POLICE WOMAN thread at work here (by pretty much me alone) when ABC told Aaron Spelling that they thought CHARLIE'S ANGELS sounded like the worst idea for a show they'd ever heard, Spelling told them "it will be like POLICE WOMAN times three" -- and while the two shows would clearly have a different tone, it was a selling point because PW had hit #1 in the ratings that previous summer. And that argument in part helped make the sale, the CA pilot hitting #1 when it aired in Spring 1976, the series then greenlighted for that fall... A year later, Aaron, a POLICE WOMAN fan, called Cheryl Ladd's agent as soon as seeing her on an episode just after Farrah announced to great tumult that she was leaving ANGELS; Spelling came up with the idea that Farrah's little sister adored by the other angels would help minimize audience resentment of the new blonde. And it worked -- the Nielsen ratings actually ticked up after Cheryl replaced Farrah, the media controversy over Fawcett leaving undoubtedly helping.

Who knew Blake Carrington had his own team of sexy crimefighters? And did this cause problems between he and Krystle?

[​IMG]

And speaking of sexy, media watchdog groups would cite ANGELS as the most irresponsibly sexual show on TV year after year -- despite the program's prim lack of any sexual content whatsoever. The girls may have warn bikinis twice during the series' entire run.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Reasons enough to back up my choices of Sabrina and the Sabrina/Kelly/Kris team.
    There was a lot made of that at the time. I did grow to like Tiffany over the course of the season and was quite put off when she was dumped with the flimsiest explanation to date that she had "gone back east for a while", although the news of Sabrina's sudden marriage and pregnancy had seemed rather implausible. At least Jill was racing cars.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Tiffany never really had a shot - not just from the writers, but from Hack herself. Apparently they offered her acting lessons which she refused to take, hence her pretty much being sidelined.

I did enjoy Julie because it was obviously over at that point, so why not just go along with it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +125
    My favorite angel was Cheryl Ladd. I think Farrah was a bit overrated, although there's no denying the impact she made in such a short time and the chemistry between her and Kate and Jaclyn. "Angels in Chains" is a classic. Who can forget the strip scene where Jaclyn asks the butch Max (call me Maxine),"How long has it been since you've been sprayed?" and when the other butch guard slams into Sabrina, and says "I'll be watching you sweetcakes, I'll be watching you real hard!"

Some of my other favorite episodes include "The Seance," featuring Kelly's childhood nemesis Beamish, "Angels at Sea," "Dancing in the Dark," "Angel on My Mind," "Mother Goose is Running for his Life," and "Angel Hunt." It's hard to pick just one favorite, but if I had to choose, I would pick "Angels in Springtime." It has a little bit of everything, a mysterious murder, the scary Zora, the creepy Dr. Slavin hitting on Kelly, lesbian subtexts everywhere. It's very funny. An honorable mention goes to "Angels on the Line," with the creepy phone killer/tranny Margo trying to kill Kelly because she had such a perfect, pretty face. Here's a great compilation of fight scenes I found on Youtube.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1