Are Hugely Popular TV Series Cursed?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Rove, May 25, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Hey, that was very informative. Thanks!

I don't remember too many names of writers but I noticed sometimes characters were named after people who worked in Dallas. For example there was a Camille Marchetta in the credits before there was ever a Renaldo Marchetta in the story. I think there is somebody in the credits named Eric Farlow. There more examples too. Did you notice that also?

Anyway, in the case of a staff writer like Camille Marchetta, someone who didn't have as high of a position as David Paulsen, would a staff writer or a freelance writer ever get to actually create a storyline from scratch? As far as I know Paulsen was the head writer, and so I guess he would have supervised the rest of the writers and had the final say in cases where there was a disagreement over which direction in which to take a story. Is that correct?

You referred to the "bible" of plotlines. Would any staff writers or a freelance writers contribute to creating the "bible" or do only the head writer, Paulsen, and the producers - Capice and Katzmann - get to create things that would be meant for the show's "bible"?

BTW, I agree with you that season 7 was one of the best seasons Dallas ever had. It was excellent. Seasons 6 and 7 are probably my two favorites. A big part of that was they were the seasons which contained the contest as per Jock's will for Ewing Oil. The two brothers each doing their best to try to beat the other and win the company and all of the collateral damage which ensued really led to some remarkable drama.

2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,056
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I agree with you about "The Paulsen Years" but I keep reminding myself that the OR Season 2 has A LOT of free-lancers and it worked wonderfully from beginning to end. Madame la Marchetta also was in the staff (I wonder what she thought about Naldo becoming a blackmailer, rapist and kidnapper later on...). :eek: And a gigolo too! :danc:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Toni, before I mentioned it had you also noticed that they often named characters by giving them the last names of people on the Dallas crew?

What does "The OR Season 2" mean? Do you just mean the 2nd season (the one directly after the 5 episode first season?) What does "OR" stand for?

4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,056
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    No, I meant what here is known as the OR (for original) Season 2, because until dvd release, "Dallas" had 13 seasons only, and the year I´m talking about is the year ended with a bang! Even now, it´s hard for me to get used to thinking of the first full year as "Season 1".

And yes, I did notice they named characters after crew people. Not only Marchetta, Farlow and Wayne (both Dusty´s last names, by the way! and named after a Wayne Farlow!!). And then after Linda Gray, Dusty´s wife Linda!!

But keeping on the strict subject, there also were:
    - Katzman´s secretary and future writer Louella Lee Caraway gave her name to JR´s first post-Julie Grey´s secretary.
    - "Dallas" Producer Edward Denault inspired the "Falcon Crest" writers to name Richard Channing´s adoptive father Henri Denault. As far as I know, that´s all. And also we have the curio about the private lives of the actors influencing real life:
    - Sue Ellen´s secretary not only played by Gray´s daughter Kehly but also using that very name.
    - Bobby´s company being called PGD, initials for Patrick´s complete name.
    - Patrick´son Padraic played a hiker in the last season called Mark Harris (Patrick´s character on "The Man From Atlantis").
    - Barbara Eden´s role in the final year also was a nod to "I Dream of Jeannie": her single last name was "Nelson" as in Major Nelson. Previously, Pam´s double had been called Jeannie too.
    - Michael Wilding Jr.´s character in Season 12 (Cally´s friend) is named after his real mother´s Liz Taylor (Alex) and his former stepfather´s Richard Burton (Barton).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1