Are the 2010s really the new 1980s??

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by SantaCarrintonEwingsBells, Aug 4, 2017.

1. SantaCarrintonEwingsBells

SantaCarrintonEwingsBells Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Medals:
    I'm posting this here because A: A certain iconic 80s soap is coming back and B: We discuss offbeat topics here too folks unlike folks from other forums *ahem, cough Dallas ahem* :-D

In recent years alot has been said about how the 10s is like a do over of the 80s, but other than Dallas and Dynasty returning and a royal wedding a few years ago I honestly don't see the comparison, for me the 00s were a literal step by step do-over of the 80s, from the music to fashion, the 00s had as big as an obsession with the 80s as the 80s itself did with the 50s & 60s.

If anything I would say that the 2010s is a nightmarish version of both the 1930s & 1950s, with the rise of the far right and an increasingly abhorrent left (and I'm left wing/centre by nature) and even very conservative values, more and more people of my age (I'm 28) are getting married and some of my friends look down on anyone having a baby outside of marriage, its bizarre and very 50s.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    Medals:
    The fashion at least has been stuck in a horrible '90s faux grunge mess for most of the 2010s. Not 1980s at all. There was a big '80s thing in fashion prior to 2010. I much preferred that. I hate '90s style...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,333
    Medals:
    In the 1980s, everyone was saying "these are the new 1950s" when the '80s was much closer to the 1920s.

The 2010's are much closer to the 1950s. Tons of creepy parallels. I'll post some later.

But always think "sixty year cycle."

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,333
    Medals:
    You revile the '90s like I do the '80s -- although for different reasons.

But, yes, I know what you mean. For the last quarter century, something has frozen.

It makes me think of what others have observed that the 2000s and the 2010s feel like one decade stretched across two (in contrast to, say, the '60s which were like two decades crammed into one).

• Like Like x 2
  5. SantaCarrintonEwingsBells

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Medals:
    If its a sixty year cycle then the 2020s will be like the 1960s which will be awesome!

Tbh I can there being a massive backlash against the 10s in the 20s, justifiably so

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,333
    Medals:
    Although we have to remember that no decade is ever really awesome. There are just varying eras of potential and of crap.

Not to be negative or anything.

While it's probably easier to see the parallel between the 1890s and the 1950s today, then it is to see a parallel between the '50s and the 2010's, people seemed to think society started in the 1890s (forgetting anything which happened before it) just as they did with the 1950s.

Which means everyone will probably think the 2010s was the first decade in human history -- at least for another 60 years. Which is a disquieting idea.

7. SantaCarrintonEwingsBells

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Medals:
    I dunno about the 00s and 10s being one long decade, now we're in 2017 (nearly 2018) I'm seeing the the two decades are very different decades in their own right.

• Like Like x 1