1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Are they overpaid ?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Ome, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,168
    Are you ready to feel really, really poor? Because you're about to look at the salaries for the highest paid TV actors of 2018 (via Variety).

Although ratings are down, The Walking Dead is still a behemoth of a show, so it's no surprise that Daryl actor Norman Reedus pockets a whopping $1 million per episode.

But he's not actually the highest paid TV star (in terms of pay per episode) out there right now. According to the report, Javier Bardem is being paid $1.2 million per episode for an untitled Amazon series, while Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon make $1.1 million an episode each from another untitled show, this one from Apple.

Julia Roberts, meanwhile, makes $600,000 per episode for Amazon's Homecoming and Avengers star Anthony Mackie is making $475,000 per episode of Altered Carbon after taking over from Joel Kinnaman, while Henry Cavill is getting a cool $400,000 for each episode of The Witcher.

Keeping with Netflix, they are paying Winona Ryder, David Harbour, and Millie Bobby Brown $350,000 for each episode of Stranger Things.

Meanwhile, their castmates Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, and Noah Schnapp earn $250,000 per ep, while Sadie Sink and Dacre Montgomery take home $150,000 each time.

Meanwhile, their castmates Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, and Noah Schnapp earn $250,000 per ep, while Sadie Sink and Dacre Montgomery take home $150,000 each time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    I don't blame the actors for earning what they do. If they demand $1 million per episode and some producer is willing to pay it...then more power to them. I just think the producers would likely get more value for their money if they hired middle-range (or lower) actors and place more importance on production values like sets, locations, writing, and overall quality. I like to see new actors get "discovered" in a breakout role, which is something daytime soaps used to do all the time. Now it seems producers are too scared to trust their instincts with an unknown actor, and instead recycles "name" actors. They place too much faith in the likeability of the "name" actor, because too often, viewers will tune in hoping that actor will play this new role in the same vein as the other role that they liked (regardless of what this new character is like).

I don't think these people "earn" that amount of money for the work they do, but salaries rarely line up with job difficulty. I mean, a lot of their salary is due to good negotiation, not the amount of labor involved. That guy digging ditches in the Everglades doesn't have a shark for an agent. :)

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)