1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asanoyama promoted to ozeki.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Swami, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    JSA officially approves Asanoyama's promotion to ozeki
    Details
    Written by Kyodo
    Published: 25 March 2020
    Hits: 16
    [​IMG]

Sekiwake Asanoyama was officially promoted to sumo's second-highest rank of ozeki by the Japan Sumo Association board of directors.

The news provided a bright spot amid the coronavirus bleakness with Asanoyama saying in his kojo stage speech he is ready for the added responsibility and expectations ahead of May's Summer Grand Sumo Tournament.

"I will live up to my name as ozeki and love the sport of sumo, fulfill justice as a rikishi (sumo wrestler) and exert myself to the utmost," he said.

The 26-year-old Takasago stable wrestler posted 11 wins in the March 8-22 spring meet in Osaka that was held without spectators, an extreme measure taken to contain and combat the coronavirus spread.

While he fell one short of the 33 wins over three tournaments normally necessary for ozeki promotion, the Toyama Prefecture native earned commendations for the quality of his sumo and had his elevation unanimously approved by the JSA.

He has won one Emperor's Cup, at last year's Summer Grand Sumo Tournament.

Asanoyama said he was nervous making the speech, but said he wanted to deliver it with confidence. His stablemaster Takasago gave him a score of 100 out of 100 for his speech and applauded his wrestler for his hard work and dedication to training.

"The reality is gradually sinking in. It's been one of my dreams since I made my professional debut, but I didn't think I'd become ozeki so soon. I want to become an ozeki who is respected and looked up to as a role model," Asanoyama said.

Asanoyama is the first new ozeki since Takakeisho was promoted in March 2019, and first ozeki from Toyama in 111 years, former yokozuna Tachiyama being the last.

Standing 188 cm and weighing 177 kg, Asanoyama has exhibited solid technique and impressive physical strength on the way to establishing himself as one of sumo's rising stars.

Swami

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,744
    Good for Asanoyama. Overall I think if he has the best chance of becoming the next yokozuna in time. I would guess with Takakeisho now in jeopardy of losing his ozeki rank in May it's good to have another ozeki. I'm sure the JSO would want to have another Japanese as yokozuna as the two Mongolian-born yokozuna are now aging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    I would be surprised if Takakeisho is still ozeki by the end of this year, one of his main problems is he is too short.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,744
    Agreed! Being tall is a major plus in sumo. Enho's performance in this past basho proves that size with skills do matter. Kakuryu and Shodai proved that. I do miss Goeido and Takayasu. Hopefully Takayasu returns in May but he has a long road back to sanyaku.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    Another one who shows promise is Kotonowaka II (son of former sekiwake Kotonowaka and grandson of former Yokozuna Kotozakura), 9-6 in his debut in Makunouchi was pretty good.

Swami