Aurthur Hailey's Hotel

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Alexis, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    So I just watched the pilot tonight. I'm nursing a bad hangover and thought it would be just the right thing to watch. I was right! I enjoyed the feature length pilot. It's the sort of TV you can watch without having to think too much. And it looks so 1980s rich people pretty. All the women wearing classic Nolan Miller. Morgan Fairchild played a gang raped hooker which I just didn't expect. At all! Shirley Jones as a divorcee who finds love at the St Gregory. Connie Sellecca is great in it, I loved how she got the job. Walking in off the street in her jeans and check shirt then changing in the toilets and then going and telling everyone interviewing that they wouldn't be hiring that day and just assuming the role of assistant all by herself. Such an '80s independent woman story. You go girl! You get that life you want even if it is ludicrous and totally and utterly unrealistic.

Bette Davis' role was much smaller than I expected and I know she's replaced in the following episodes by Anne Baxter so I'm guessing/hoping that the role is expanded a bit more. I can see why @Willie Oleson had a crush on the blonde guy though. He's all kinds of hot and that's a damn fine head of hair. James Brolin is also easy on the eye. I think I'm going to like this show. It's the type of thing I can just turn my brain off and watch and enjoy all the shiny pretty and the guest stars. And there are a ton of guest stars!

Off I go to watch some more. I'll just pop random posts in here though. I wont be doing episode by episode or anything.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Exactly! Simple, pretty & shiny. And you don't even have to hate it because it's not Dynasty. HOTEL is never very good, so it won't hurt.
    Brolin & Sellecca are a good couple though! Very likeable, and very very gorgeous.

Enjoy the fabulous guest star opening credits!:spinning:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +326
    Which, at least I thought, were presented in a very appealing way-- that elevator graphic rising up against a flyby of the San Francisco skyline, and then collapsing and moving beyond the screen at the end (it was only this way for 1983-85, however [first two seasons' worth]; starting with the third season [1985-86] and carrying through to the end, the main players were shown with full-screen credits, and the guest stars alternated sides of the screen with shots of San Francisco and the environs [examples captured from my copy of the original version of VEI's Hotel all-in-one]).

hotel1.jpg hotel2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Original Member Since:
    oh thats a blast from the past
    I seem to recall that I didnt watch it, but i did if a Dallas cast member was a guest

Think i have Patrick Duffy, Ken K and Charlene Tilton on VHS video tape

Think Patrick and Lucy were after they left Dallas at end of S7

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    I'm addicted. I watched 6 episodes last night! I didn't think I would enjoy it that much but it's so shiny pretty and all those great guest stars. So far I have had Morgan Fairchild, Heather Locklear, Leigh McCloskey, Leigh Taylor Young, Charlene Tilton, Robert Vaughn, Paul Burke, Lynn Redgrave and many, many others.
    I have noticed a weird thing that the writers seem to be fixated on though. In every episode a woman is either being gang raped, raped, molested, stalked, or just put upon by a horrible lecherous man. Half the time said women is a prostitute and sometimes she's just persuaded to be skanky by her dumb mother. It's all very bizarre, but fear not as James Brolin is always on hand to save hookers and damsels in distress from rapists and molesters everywhere. And he is just such an all round Mr Nice Guy, he even lets the hookers turn tricks at his hotel so long as they are discrete. Dream boat!

He's such a fair boss too, even letting the Bellboy pretend that he's the hotel manager when his parents visit from Mexico. The lovely Mr Brolin plays along with it all and it's wonderful. I got butterflies in my tummy it was so lovely. :)
    Billy the hotel's security guy is a very bad stereotype. It's borderline offensive. He's that fast talking black brother from the streets who did his time for the man and then made good and talks in some jargon I don't fully understand and I don't think he does either. He's so 1970s and it hurts. It really does. I'm sure it hurt the actor more to play it though than it does me to watch it.

Anne Baxter turns out to not replace Bette Davis really, she actually plays her sister in law. So it at least makes more sense and her role is somewhat improved. All in all I'm enjoying this for what it is. Pretty, mildly entertaining fluff. I'm also enjoying seeing lots of character actors I haven't seen in years. I'm not talking about the big billed guest stars that I really know. I mean the lesser ones that used to pop up on everything in the 60s, 70s and 80s and that I just don't see anymore. The ones where you know the faces but not the names.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Tess Harper is one of those great actresses who appeared in many movies and tv series, but almost never in a lead role.
    [​IMG]
    But I don't think she's in HOTEL:D

7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    I think I remember from Revenge.

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Even in 1983, I was: "Why the hell doesn't La Mirage look like the lobby of the SG?!?" :mad:

It drove me crazy.

9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    Didn't she win an Oscar? [google .... google ....] Nah, she was just nominated and it was for a supporting role. But still ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I recall reading that the St. Greg's lobby set was the most expensive set ever constructed for a TV show (up to that point). It stood to reason they would do that, though, since so much of the action would take place there. It would stand to reason, since the guest stars would have to "check in" and "check out" on that set, much like the Love Boat guests had to start and finish with scenes that introduce them and say good-bye to them on the decks. It would be the one set that could be "unique," since all the guest rooms in a hotel tend to look alike. One of the reasons soaps have so many people living in hotels (rather than having their own homes) is because they can build one or two hotel room sets, then re-dress them slightly for each character to make to seem like eight or ten different "homes" for characters.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    I noticed recently that Dominique's hotel suite on DYNASTY turned into Steven's apartment after La Mirage burnt down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Oh, but wait wait wait. I wasn't suggesting that she's completely unknown in Hollywood (let alone not talented enough for a leading role).
    It's just that she always seems to play the sister/mother/aunt/doctor roles, not unimportant, but never big enough so that we (for example) would discuss "that movie/show with Tess Harper in it".
    She has an air of quality, maybe because she looks like she could have beem Lee Remick's little sister, but there you go again, sister - not a Lee Remick.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Dexter's bedroom was next to the Carrington's. Cheap bastards!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    I absolutely loved the ABC drama series, “Hotel” (1983-1988). :kiss:

When I went to San Francisco in 1989, I just had to check out the “The Fairmont San Francisco” on Nob Hill. It was amazing to see the beautiful hotel for real! :gotcha:

My favorite characters on “Hotel” were Peter McDermott (general manager), Christine Francis (assistant general manager), and Julie Gillette (reception manager). :loveit:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 2:20 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I had always kinda assumed that Alexis' penthouse was her art studio redressed. And maybe it was. But I've recently heard (on this site) that DYNASTY changed studio digs between S2 and S3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    The sets can be taken down and moved--and often are. Just because they moved to another studio didn't prevent them from taking the set components with them.

Shari Belafonte was recently a contestant on Battle of the Network Stars and made reference to Julie in her interview segment.
    Belafonte also has a recurring role as the mayor of Port Charles on General Hospital.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I also remember that just-married couple that could never be together. The show was constantly hinting at just-married sex that didn't happen, and that itself was very sexy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    It's weird; I know I watched the show casually when it aired (right after Dynasty, most of the time) but I don't recall a single guest star. I recall most of the "hotel staff" (the regular cast), but none of the weekly guest stars or their stories. I recall it was more like Love Boat on the mainland, an excuse to have B-list and C-list actors appear in self-contained stories. I recall Heidi Bohay and her real-life husband (whose name escapes me) co-starred on the show and were a couple in real life. I recall Connie Sellecca seeming somewhat robotic but looking lovely. Didn't Michelle Phillips appear in a recurring role?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Romain

Romain Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Original Member Since:
    "The Love Boat on the mainland" is exactly how I remember this show, although I don't even remember for sure that I ever saw a full episode. I definitely caught a few glimpses of it here and there while growing up, but never followed it. Heidi Bohay's husband is Michael Spound. And of course, Shari Belafonte has been married to Danny Waleska himself, Sam Behrens, for almost 30 years. Anyway, yes, according to IMDb, Michelle Phillips had a recurring role on the show after Anne Baxter passed away. And although I haven't seen the episode, I know that Constance McCashin appeared in one as I've never seen her in anything other than Knots Landing and when I found out, that struck me as something that probably wouldn't be too difficult to find if I ever decided to check out some of her other work. As for other familiar faces, if I'm not mistaken, Valerie Landsburg from Fame was a series regular on the show's final season.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 2:48 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    HOTEL was not always as light-hearted as LOVE BOAT. They tried to create a bit of suspense every now and then, and I thought it was soapier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    The Shapiros sued Aaron Spelling over HOTEL -- they had wanted Pamela Sue Martin to spin off into a show about Fallon running a five star lodge. But when Martin refused to do it (which infuriated Esther Shapiro) and they had Fallon take over La Mirage on DYNASTY instead, Spelling then optioned Hailey's novel just so he wouldn't have to pay the Shapiros and did the show anyway.

Even from a remote distance, it was obvious what Spelling had done.

• Like Like x 1