Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Barbara Fan, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,055
    Medals:
    My sympathies to Spain -

Another one, again and on and on it will go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are inhuman

At least one person died and 32 were injured after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona's famous Las Ramblas tourist area, police say.

The vehicle sped along the pedestrianised area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover in shops and cafes.

Witnesses said the van had deliberately targeted people before coming to a stop.

Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.

Media reports said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot.

Live updates

Tom Markwell from New Orleans, who was just arriving in a taxi in Las Ramblas, said: "I heard a crowd screaming. It sounded like they were screaming for a movie star.

"I saw the van. It had already been busted on the front. It was weaving left and right, trying to hit people as fast as possible. There were people lying on the ground."
    amer Anwar said he was walking down Las Ramblas, which was "jam-packed" with tourists.

"All of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids," he told Sky News.

"Police were very, very quickly there, police officers with guns, batons, everywhere. Then the whole street started getting pushed back.

"Police officers who got there just started screaming at people to move back, move back."

Vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of attacks across Europe since July last year.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Medals:
    Unknown number of people dead, many injured, as van hits pedestrians in Barcelona, Spain.

Inofficial sources say that the terrorist(s) have taken hostage in a restaurant.

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Medals:
    Minimum 12 dead and over 30 injured, says newspaper La Vanguardia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    More live info here (in Spanish):

http://www.lavanguardia.com/sucesos/20170817/43611025471/atentado-barcelona-rambla.html

And also in English:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/842511/las-ramblas-barcelona-gunmen-in-restaurant-terror-spain

It´s getting worse and worse. As most of you know if you´ve been there, Ramblas is the most frequent place for tourists to walk around looking at the flower stands, having a drink at the terraces, buying fresh fish or just going down to the beach side. So it´s been a double attack, locally and internationally. So far the number of dead people is 13 and the suspect has been identified but not found, and another suspect is under arrest. I´ll try to update you about this. By the way, I´m fine (though I might as well have been down there, having a walk, so I still get chills...). And thank you for your sympathies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,366
    Medals:
    I wish we knew who and what was behind this death cult. Leaked DNC emails revealed that the State Dept. believed Isis was funded by Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but we don't hear anything about it.

6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,441
    Medals:
    Listening to news right now, they're reporting that one of the attackers has been killed by police.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Medals:
    Of 13 fatal victims, one of them was a Belgian person. 80 are injured, two people have been arrested and the white van was found in a town near Barcelona. The attack has been claimed by ISIS. But the third suspect being killed is NOT a good thing: police obviously needed a fact on their favor, as you could sense when one the top chiefs previously made an awfully Un-PC, racist statement. ISIS might use it as a (further) fuel to their hatred, and focus their efforts on our country.

Oh and guess who made a(n opportunistic) statement about this too? The Trumpster said "We love you". Thank you but no, we don´t love you nor want your (false) love!!

:argue:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,273
    Medals:
    Dearest @Toni my sympathies to you all. Just horrific. ❤️

• Like Like x 2
  9. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,055
    Medals:
    RIP Julian, and all the other victims of another isis attack, sad thing is who will be next and after that, and after that as it will go on and on.

A seven-year-old boy with dual British-Australian nationality was killed in the Barcelona terror attack, Catalan police have confirmed.

Julian Cadman was one of 13 people killed when a van ploughed into crowds on Barcelona's Las Ramblas on Thursday.

His mother Jom was injured and it was understood she was in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Julian's family said they would "remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts".

"Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family," they said in a statement.

"As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.

"He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces.

"We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts."

10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    Toni, I'm so sorry about what's happened in your hometown. It's truly awful. :(
    But I am glad to read that you are doing ok after the attack.

My sympathies goes out to all the victims and their families.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,366
    Medals:
    Everyone I know who's been to Barcelona loved it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    So did I. It's a lovely city with friendly people.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Medals:
    And you haven´t met me yet!!! :D:p

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,055
    Medals:
    Barcelona is a great city, i havent been there tho since i was a teenager and with my parents on holiday

Will need to return

and well done to the Spanish Police Glad they caught him pretty pronto
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41004603

Spanish police have shot dead the main suspect in last Thursday's Barcelona attack, Younes Abouyaaqoub.

Police believe he was the driver of a van which careered down the Las Ramblas avenue, killing 13 and injuring more than 100 others.

He was killed some 25 miles (40km) west of Barcelona near a petrol station following a tip off.

Abouyaaqoub, wearing a fake explosive belt, is reported to have shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Greatest").

An extensive manhunt was already under way when police closed in on the Subirats area, close to Sant Sadurní d'Anoia.

Bomb disposal officers went to the scene and used a robot to examine the fake explosive belt. This led to some delay before Abouyaaqoub could be officially identified.

The Catalan police said the operation was still under way and Cadena Ser radio reported that an extensive search was continuing for another man and a van.

Local residents described seeing some 20 police cars heading for the scene and helicopters circling.

Police have also confirmed that an imam suspected of radicalising the young men who carried out the attacks died in an explosion on Wednesday at a house in Alcanar, south of Barcelona, that was being used as a bomb factory.

The remains of one other person found at the house are still being examined.

The terror cell behind the attacks was 12 strong. Police say eight suspects are now dead and four are in custody.

The group had apparently been planning three co-ordinated attacks using home-made bombs, but were thwarted by the Alcanar blast. Police found about 120 gas canisters at the Alcanar site.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Medals:
    Thanks a lot for your info and kind words @Barbara Fan! What else could I add, aside from saying that we´ve felt a BIG love and warmth from around the world and a very strong determination to not let them scare us and continue our lives as usual.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry to say that the worst showings of hate and stupidity have come from people from our own country, especially from Madrid, who blamed Catalonian independentist parties for this. Shame yourselves!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,273
    Medals:
    As someone who comes from a country where terrorism was the norm for so long, this is what you must do @Toni :kiss: They must never win!!!

• Like Like x 2