Based on a True Story

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Have you any films that you enjoy that are allegedly or genuinely based on true events?

Yesterday, I watched Changeling, starring Angelina Jolie, on Netflix. I cannot remember if I saw this in the theaters when it came out back in 2008, but I do remember having a bootleg copy of the film that my Mother and I watched a number of times before it got lost somewhere in all my moves.

Changeling chronicles the story of Christine Collins, a single mother who is reunited with a little boy she immediately recognizes as not being her missing son. When she tries to bring the LAPD to the reality of its mistake, she is labeled an unfit mother, and eventually placed in an mental asylum. After several years, she learns that her son, Walter, was perhaps killed by Gordon Northcott in what became nicknamed the Wineville Chicken Coop Murders.

Reese Witherspoon and Hillary Swank sought the coveted lead, but director-producer reportedly favored Jolie because he felt her face fit the 1920s period setting. Jolie, however, was initially reluctant, but only became involved after learning of Eastwood's connection to the production.

Changeling received critical acclaim, and was a moderate box office success.

upload_2018-12-2_9-18-36.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hidden Figures is an incredible film, I fully recommend.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,772
    These type of movies were really popular on lifetime back in the 1990s. So I have watched several TV movies based on true stories from that time era. Most notably are:

"Broken Pledges" and "Why My Daughter?" with Linda Gray.

Also not from the 1990s but from the 1970's and more based on a phenomenon than a true story per say. "Diary of a Teenage Hitchhiker" with Charlene Tilton.

I can recommend these movies if you haven't seen them. They are all thought provoking and really good. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,772
    Oh and here's two more:

"Dancing in the dark"
    and "The Abduction" with Victoria Principal.

These movies are also really good. Especially the first one. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    Fargo :cool1

6. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,799
    Totally agree, absolutely awesome film.

I think the best film based on a true story is I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932). Such a powerful film that it lead to changes begin made to the prison system. Gripping story, first rate performance from the star Paul Muni, I can't recommend this film enough.

[​IMG]