Battle of the Network Stars, 2017--Summer Series

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Daniel Avery, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    Yes, the "reboot fever" has found yet another concept to bring back....and our very own Donna Mills is set to participate! Think of this as "Field Day" with your favorite TV stars.

http://tvline.com/2017/06/12/battle...iggs-john-barrowman-abc/#comment-list-wrapper

Other notables for those of us "in a certain age bracket" include
    Charlene Tilton AND Josh Henderson
    Lisa Whelchel AND Kim Fields
    Erik Estrada AND Larry Wilcox
    Jill Whelan AND Ted Lange
    Kevin Sorbo AND Lou Ferrigno
    Tracey Gold AND Jeremy Miller

Even my beloved Ryan Paevey of General Hospital will appear...hopefully in the pool :hide:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    The episode featuring Donna Mills airs Thursday night on ABC. The teams are "Primetime Soap Stars" versus "ABC Stars". "Abby's" nephew-by-marriage "John Ross" (Josh Henderson) will also be on her team.

So far the show has not lived up to its 1970s/80s fun, because there are no spectators cheering them on, and about half the events are shown via "edited highlights" rather than play-by-play. Still, it's harmless summer fun.

3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,146
    Medals:
    Are they actually promoting it that way? It seems unusually imaginative.

4. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I loved the show in its original 80's format. But new one sounds meh.
    And it's not really battle of the networks if category is Soap stars vs ABC

5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    No, the producers are nowhere near as hard-core about primetime soaps as we are.:D After watching the episode, I also realized there was another link among the teammates. Two of DM's teammates were Gabrielle Carteris and Ian Ziering of BevHills 90210. Mills's TV son Brian was played by Brian Austin Green, who was also on 90210. The only teammate I couldn't link to Mills was Mischa Barton from The OC.

[​IMG]

Mills's triumph was of course the tennis competition, if you can call it a "competition". One teammate from each team is chosen to "return service" to a tennis ball machine which spits twenty balls at them in rapid succession. In episodes past, there were stars who were able to get three or five balls into the opposing court correctly, but Mills got 16/20, and looked great doing it! I think Shari Belafonte (from the ABC team) only got six, but if it had been any other episode, Belafonte would have won with a score like that. The play-by-play guy actually commended Mills who, at 76, managed to score the highest of ANY competitor to that point. (Speaking of which, Shari Belafonte is married to Sam Behrens, who played Val's abusive husband Danny Waleska on KL--another link!).

upload_2017-7-21_16-46-52.jpeg

The categorization of the stars is often a stretch. One group defied categorization so they just called it "variety". But most teams have to do with the type of character they played (like TV Lawyers or TV Sex Symbols). TV Cops is a team scheduled for next week, where Donna's TV son from General Hospital Ryan Paevey is set to appear (another link!)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jeff

Jeff Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also loved watching these in the 70's and 80's! Donna Mills looks great and it was so much fun to see the flashbacks of her when she was hosting and competing way back then!
    Daniel - you are right though, it was a far cry from the show back in the 70'/80's. We felt like the lack of spectators made it a lot less exciting as well. And I also think the stars were so much bigger back then because there really wasn't cable TV and really only ABC, NBC, and CBS networks.
    But, any chance to see Donna on TV and I'm there! She just seems like such a nice, down to earth person!

7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    The most puzzling clip from the 'old days' was Mills getting dunked in the dunk tank--fully dressed. Not as opposed to being fully naked, of course--I mean, she was wearing a pretty 80s-era ruffled blouse and skirt when they dunked her, rather than a bathing suit. I wonder what was going on with that.

8. Knotsfan61618

Knotsfan61618 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For the dunk tank clip, Donna was hosting the show with Howard Cosell in 1983. For some reason Howard decided that he got to try to dunk Donna with all of her clothes on. He missed. Then Joan cake up and tried to dunk her. It was really funny. But before Joan got to, a bunch of people came who were competing in the show came running up throwing balls until she went in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    They're going to re-run the episode featuring Donna Mills and her soap-star brethren tonight (on ABC at 9pm/8 central). They're also re-running the episode featuring Ryan Paevey (her co-star on GH) at 8pm/7 central.

The Paevey episode is sort of painful to watch, because he was virtually the only person on his team (of five) who had any business competing. He basically scored all the points that the team earned! (And yes, there was gratuitous shirtlesness at the pool)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the pain is sort of....tolerable. :)