Bay City Roller Alan Longmuir dies

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Barbara Fan, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,167
    Medals:
    Sad news, my first ever fav pop group that I collected everything on, and played my cassette tapes to death upload_2018-7-2_22-47-56.gif
    RIP Alan Longmuir
    I loved the BCRs
    Alan Longmuir, a founding member of the Bay City Rollers, has died.

The Edinburgh-born musician was surrounded by his family when he died at Forth Valley Hospital in Larbert at 06:00, following a short illness.

Mr Longmuir formed the Bay City Rollers with his brother, Derek, and went on to find huge chart success in the 1970s.

Paying tribute to the 70-year-old, his family said he would humbly describe himself as "just a plumber from Edinburgh who got lucky".

Frontman Les McKeown, described his friend as "the original Bay City Roller".

And bandmate Stuart Wood said he would "remember the good times we had for over 40 years".

The Bay City Rollers were tartan-clad teen sensations in the UK and the US in the 1970s with hits including Bye Bye Baby and Shang-a-Lang.

At the height of their success, they were responsible for "Rollermania" and they even had their own TV show.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Mr Longmuir's family described him as an "extraordinary man with an extraordinary heart".

[​IMG]
    Image caption The classic Bay City Rollers line-up was Derek Longmuir, Eric Faulkner, Alan Longmuir, Les McKeown and Stuart Wood
    "He brought so much love and kindness to everyone he met, and he leaves a huge hole in our family," they added.

"He would humbly say he was 'just a plumber from Edinburgh who got lucky'.

"However we were the lucky ones; the ones that were lucky enough to have Alan as part of our lives."

He died three weeks after being flown home from Mexico by air ambulance. He fell ill while on holiday with his wife, Eileen.