BB and CBB set to be axed

Discussion in 'Reality TV Forum' started by Long Christmas Stockings, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Long Christmas Stockings

Long Christmas Stockings Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,249
    Celebrity Big Brother and its civilian original show will reportedly be axed later this year.

Big Brother and it celebrity spin-off are reportedly set to be axed after 18 years on air.
    The Daily Star report that Channel 5 are set to 'pull the plug' on the show, which started out on Channel 4 before making the move in 2011.

Insiders claim dwindling ratings and a lost interest in the show due to rival successful shows such as the widely-popular Love Island means the programme is 'just not worth the price tag' for the channel.
    The 21st series of Celebrity Big Brother is currently on air - however news surfaced that this could be one of the last.

Show insiders told the publication: 'There have been conversations between the execs about not renewing the contract for both Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother. It would be the end of an era but they feel the time is right to end.

'There is still time for the bosses at Channel 5 to change their mind but it is not looking likely. Even if they drop it, another channel or a streaming service may decide to pick it up in the future.'

Earlier this year, host Emma Willis revealed producers are currently casting housemates for the summer edition of the civilian show.

With Love Island as a rival it was claimed this week that CBB bosses were meeting to discuss pushing back its summer series to avoid clashing with the ITV2 show.

In July last year, the show hit an all-time low when The Sun reported one episode garnered just 650,000 viewers on average and 540,000 at its lowest point.

The show faced its lowest ever ratings when it launched with an average audience of just 2.1million viewers - down 200,000 from last year's launch. They went down again with the highlights episode after the launch to just 1.4 million viewers.

The show has spawned hundreds of stars since its pioneering start as a social experiment in 2001 - after which it became a national phenomenon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    [​IMG]

This is so horrible to read, I've been hoping it's just rumoured to see what kind of reaction they get.

I remember C5 once saying that if anything was to go it would be the civilian show.

Until I see C5 make an announcement
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I thought the only reason they still aired the "civilian" show was because they were tied to it due to their deal with Endemol for the Big Brother format?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    Yeah, that does sound familiar and thinking about it, I seem to remember they were tied until 2018

So the rumours could be true

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    Although Channel 5 was sold, they were originally owned by the same company as the Daily Star so there are links between the 2 media companies so this could all just be a negotiating ploy by Channel 5.

The viewing figures for Big Brother may be falling but for Channel 5 Big Brother generally pulls in a larger audience than its usual shows. It also attracts sponsorship and young viewers which are particularly attractive to advertisers so I would guess Big Brother still profitable for Channel 5. What better way to negotiate a favourable deal with Endemol than for Channel 5 to plant a story in the Daily Star that they are considering dropping the show so Endemol won't demand an exorbitant fee to produce it in a new contract?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Long Christmas Stockings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,249
    According to The Sun...

CHANNEL 5 bosses have denied claims they're axing Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother — saying the show's contracts will probably be extended when they run out later this year. A newspaper yesterday reported Big Brother will be “consigned to the dustbin for good".

But The Sun's Bizarre column understands bosses still see the show as a major feature of the Channel 5 schedules and will hold talks about further series when their current deal expires at the end of the year. A Big Brother source said: "Channel 5 already has a deal in place for another civilian version of Big Brother and a Celebrity Big Brother which will both air later this year.

"It's still a very successful show for Channel 5, with millions of viewers, so obviously there will be discussions with the production company about extending the show beyond that. It's far too early to suggest it's the end of Big Brother, quite the opposite, so fans can relax. An extension of the deal is likely, it's just that those conversations haven't happened yet."

A second TV industry source yesterday also labelled the claims "untrue" and said claims they're going to pull the plug on the show are "pure speculation."

The current series of CBB drew its lowest ever launch show ratings, but still attracted 2.4million loyal fans. But it faces stiff competition from similar reality shows thanks to the success of ITV2 rival Love Island and upcoming new series Survival of the Fittest.

I don't know what to believe anymore, maybe it was a publicity stunt?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616

I'm hoping this is the case too.

I'm not into ratings or chasing them because I never understand how the whole country can be judged on 5000 boxes. We can fly around in space but we can't figure out who is watching what.

That said, I always thought BB was C5 biggest show

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    I read that if it were to be cancelled they are going to look at doing it online. I'm not sure I will stick around for that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Long Christmas Stockings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,249
    I wouldn't want to watch it online either.

If that was to happen I would like it if Channel 4 would repeat some of the old BB's especially BB5 BB6 and BB7 or even just some highlights of each series. It'd be fascinating to see if I still felt the same way about some of the old housemates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    I like the idea of this, but I also fear that I might end up crashing my memories and not enjoy it as much. Gosh, I'm such a pessimistic right now!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Long Christmas Stockings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,249
    More rumours...

Long-running reality show Big Brother will not be returning to screens "in its current form." The hit Channel 5 reality show - which originally broadcast on Channel 4 from its inception in 2000 until 2011 - is set to come to an end with its current contract with the broadcaster this year.

And Channel 5's director of programming Ben Frow has revealed that whilst a decision on the show's fate has still not been decided, the format will definitely change if it is to continue at all. According to Broadcast, Ben said a deal is yet to be agreed upon, but insisted that the show would not return to the channel "in its current form".

He also said the broadcaster would also "not be spending the same amount of money," on the show - although it wasn't revealed whether the budget on a reformed show would be higher or lower.

He added: 'The ball is in Endemol Shine's court.

The shaky future of the reality show - which has been steadily dropping in ratings but is still a hit with viewers - comes as its spin-off show Big Brother's Bit On The Side was axed in order to shake up the series.

Last month, the show's host Emma Willis spoke of her concern for the show's longevity. She told the Daily Mirror 'I don't know, we're all waiting. I think they're in negotiations at the minute. I'd hate to see it disappear. Fingers crossed we have a fantastic summer series and the channel want to keep it."

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Long Christmas Stockings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,249
    If this article is true and it changes to become another version of ’Love Island’ then I won’t be watching.

I don’t usually watch BBBOTS. although I had no idea it had been axed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    From what I read, it was more about not having any reality stars in the civilian series and also not interfering with the housemates and also not spending so much money that they have been spending. I got the general idea they were taking it back to its original roots.

I also read that they were bringing back BIG BROTHER'S LITTLE BROTHER.

Though take all that with a pinch of salt as it could just be more rumours.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    I think Channel 5 ruined the show.

When Big Bro was on Channel 4 it was always entertaining viewing but Channel 5, in a effort to attract higher ratings, interfered too much with the goings on in the house and manipulated to many disagreements and discord that it almost became unwatchable.

If C5 do renew their contract with Endemol then changes would be needed and going back to it's roots, a bit like they did with the last series of CBB, would be a change for the better.

15. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    The ratings back this up
    The lack of online discussion backs this up
    The constant complaints from the remaining viewers back this up

However, I've really enjoyed a lot of what C5 have done with the series over the years. Yeah, they push it too far at times (Helen Wood) and it's become somewhat of a joke with rumours of celebrities popping out and hiding this fact and also the move to bring in guest housemates who then tell those left in the house gossip about what is happening outside.

Hopefully, they will continue to go in this direction because it really was a brilliant show back in January.

The best move, in my opinion, would be to ditch the sleaze and focus on the actual experiment of normal (not models, reality stars or people who want to have sex on TV) everyday fold living together in a confined space.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    Ordinarily, I would have created a new thread for this year's Big Brother, but with so many rumours flying around and until we get a definite I thought I would throw this article in here.

If it's true, then we could be onto an interesting series.

Though I'm puzzled why the article refers to Channel 4

Big Brother 2018 will reportedly be axed, while Celebrity Big Brother's fate hangs in the balance.

But, your Big Brother fix is on its way – and there's some massive changes.

Genderquake will throw 11 young Brits from various points of the gender and sexuality spectrum in a house together and delve into their views.

The social experiment aims to open up discussion about gender identity and sexuality, and will coincide with Channel 4's gender-focused season of the same name.

The channel will explore various aspects of gender, what it is and how we define gender roles in a series of "provocative" programmes.

Channel 4's Deputy Director of Programmes, Kelly Webb-Lam released a statement about the upcoming season of shows.

"The issues around gender and gender identity are some of the most charged and hotly debated of our time," she said.

"Through a collection of entertaining, thoughtful and provocative programmes, this season will feature a broad range of inspiring people who add their varied and informative voices to the wider debate."

However, while Genderquake has been hailed as "fascinating" by some, the programme received backlash for being overly PC.

"Just seen advert for Genderquake. I'm trying to be nice but I hate what the world is becoming," one user blasted.

Another tweeted: "That programme Genderquake is just basically taking the p**s – f*** political correctness and gender equality."

And a third said: "Just saw the trailer for the C4 'Genderquake' season. Not impressed to say the least."

17. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    Oh, scrap that, it's not even Big Brother, I was misled by the article title

Transgender Big Brother coming to TV – but viewers are livid

18. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,616
    Big Brother is going to take a break from Channel 5, reveals boss

There's been a lot of talk about whether Channel 5 will give Big Brother the axe, with the channel's boss Ben Frow previously stating that he's not exactly a fan, and reports claiming that it was potentially looking for something to replace it.

Well it's now been confirmed today (August 24) that the show is being taken off the air... but not permanently.

Speaking at the Edinburgh International TV Festival, Frow is quoted by Broadcast as stating: "I'm planning for a year without Big Brother."

It is unknown at the time whether he just means the civilian series of Big Brother, which has been moved this year to after the summer celebrity series, or both versions. Digital Spy has reached out to Channel 5 for clarification.

Are you pleased with this move or not? A year off may not guarantee the producers will have time to refresh the format (and it could be argued the show will never be what it was because people naturally move on), but it could make people who currently have Big Brother fatigue actually miss the show.

So we still have one more show left after CBB, if I'm reading that correctly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was wondering where the normal version of Big Brother was as there hadn't been one this year. I think resting it is a good idea, though it is my favourite of all the reality shows.

• Like Like x 2