Best Dynasty Cliffhangers

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Feb 13, 2018.

?

Favorite Cliffhanger?

1. Season 1

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Season 2

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Season 3

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Season 4

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Season 5

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Season 6

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. Season 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Season 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Season 9

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Which cliffhangers were your favorites and why?

Is there anything you would have done differently?

Let the comments roll....

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
    While season five overall isn't exactly my favourite season, there's no denying that it's a huge and defining cliffhanger in more ways than one (not all positives).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I agree completely on both parts. I did not like how season five set the main conflicts to the background and I certainly did not like anything Moldavia, but the cliffhanger itself was epic.
    Here is my order
    1) Moldavia/S5
    2)Surprise witness/S1
    3)Cabin Fire/S3
    5)Swan Song/S9
    5)Double Jeopardy/S4
    6)The Cliff-Deadly Sex/S2
    7)Matthew Returns/S7
    8)Vendetta/S6
    9)Who Cares/S8
    10)Were they all Clones?/The Reunion

• Like Like x 4
  4. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The Moldavian Wedding Massacre is my favorite cliffhanger. I love a good blood bath. :yep:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,605
    1. Season 1: the shocking return of the first Mrs. Carrington - as if the situation wasn't bad enough.
    But we didn't know what was going to happen, or why it was so shocking. And that's why you had to continue with season 2.
    Oh, and there was a courtroom fight and a really exciting car crash!

2. Season 9: a season-long storyline that climaxes right, left and centre.
    *done differently: maybe not a close-up of Joan's face when she fell. It's basically her strangulation face from season 6, and it doesn't work*

3. Season 5: it was an epic TV moment, but without the strong build-up of season 9, hence #3.

4. Season 3: that was a nasty fire! (+ the echo of Krystle's scream, I love it!)

5. Season 6: the revenge of all revenges + the La Mirage inferno.
    *done differently: without the strangulation. JC objected to physical scenes and it shows.
    Have security drag Blake out kicking and screaming, and then let Krystle not follow him, or at least not immediately.
    I want some non-statements. Is Krystle appalled that it means so much to him? And Alexis face shows surprise because Krystle is still standing there.
    Krystle turns around, looks at Alexis and then walks out of the house.

6. Season 2: a good cliffhanger, just not my all-time favourite.

7. Season 4.
    *done differently: everything!! If there had to be a headache, suggestively connect it with extraterrestrial powers.
    This was the UFO moment, but without showing the UFO. Instead of rain and supposed car crash, the car suddenly stops...and there's a strange light that holds Fallon spellbound.
    Low bass noises for good effect. What is it? What is it?
    If she had to disappear mysteriously then at least it should have looked mysterious. Thank God for THE COLBYS and the explanation of the events (most of it anyway).

8. Season 7: oh well, just for that "OMG, it's Matthew!" moment.

9. Season 8: boring and cliché.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,605
    Not at the same time of course. She could hit a doorpost if she was looking at Alexis.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Unless she turns her head in an owl like fashion and stares straight at Alexis on the stairs while walking straight out the door. That would have been a pretty cool moment to end the season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Season Five undoubtedly provided the show with its most well-known cliffhanger, and its publicity and eventual letdown (in theory) of an outcome has been debated multiple times in many different threads here on Soap Chat. The general consensus is the cliffhanger itself was well produced, but the big cheat was what followed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I voted for the Season Four cliffhanger. I actually enjoyed Alexis being sent to jail, Mark's death, and the disappearance of Fallon from her remarriage to Jeff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
    Yeah, I mean some of the storylines in season five is beyond crap - I would probably put the nonsensical "Jeff Goes Treasure Hunting" filler storyline up there with "Kwyynteena's heart transplant / Sarah Curtis' Reign of Terror" as one of the worst plots on the show.

I mean, I think it's hard to deny how big and defining that cliffhanger was - not only for Dynasty, but for the prime time soap genre overall. It literally seems like the balloon suddenly popped for them after dominating the airwaves since the late 70s. It ended up being the representation of the end of an era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +202
    It´s really hard to choose between the greatest Dynasty drama moment of all and the most spectacular moment in prime time history.

But this moment is Dynasty at its best : a catfight, a fire and the bitch taking over the mansion and all of them in great costumes.
    1. Season 6: just a perfect moment. I wouldn´t have cut the beginning of Claudia´s fire scene, when she talks about Lindsay.

2. Season 5: a perfectly produced massacre which never looked more glamourous. I would have taken Krystle´s double to Moldavia and let her die. Some weeks later everybody (even the viewers) would know Krystle is still alive.

3. Season 9: the end of a dynasty (which was the German episode title) which followed a strong build-up. The show ends where it started - in the mansion. Blake opened and ended the show.

4. Season 8: Alexis taking a bath when her dead husband tries to kill her. Crazy idea and so Dynasty. After Sean had to fight with Adam there´s Dex waiting for the next round. Krystle is missing. Blake last words "I hope we had more time" - leads to its last season.

5. Season 7: a wedding, a car crash, some criminals with guns and somebody who should be dead. A classic cliffhanger.

6. Season 4: another car crash and TV´s greatest bitch in prison in all her gloryness.Why did they cut Blake and Krystle in the rain after Fallon ran away?

7. Season 3: a fire the same time Southfork was on fire.

8. Season 2: greatest heart attack in TV´s history + a baby is missing and Blake is lost.

9. Season 1: enter Alexis!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Not the same time. "The Cabin" aired on DYNASTY on Wednesday 20 April. Two and a half weeks later, DALLAS followed on Friday 6 May with "Ewing Inferno."

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    Although 'Ewing Inferno' was clearly planned in advance plotwise, while 'The Cabin' was sort of just stuck on.

Esther's disinfo people went around whispering that DALLAS had "been peeking over the fence" which was just further proof DYNASTY stole it knowing their season finale episode would air first.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    What about "Ewing Inferno" was planned ahead?
    Unless I missed some foreshadowing in previous episodes, it plays out just as last minute as the cabin fire.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    Not foreshadowing per se. But the DALLAS year's lead-up to the family's abode being turned into a metaphoric burning hell seems almost self-evident.

Not so with the fire in Steven's cabin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,605
    Wasn't it the result of Alexis' attitude towards Joseph? Or towards everyone, since they tried to turn it into a whodunit.
    Maybe Dynasty's version of "Who Shot JR?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I agree. They had done the McVane attempt on Alexis earlier, setting the stage for another attempt on her life. When another attempt happened, it didn't seem out of the blue to me. The Southfork fire did. Mind you, I don't think DALLAS stole anything. When DALLAS started copying DYNASTY, it wasn't so much on plot as on style.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,605
    I don't disagree with that, but still it was shown as an accident. Not that accidents need a reason otherwise it wouldn't be an accident.

But if you're going to distinguish between Dallas' metaphoric inferno and Dynasty's non-metaphoric inferno then it made sense that it happened on Southfork and also that it didn't happen in the Carrington mansion because there was nothing that warranted a mansion inferno. That would have been very stuck on.

p.s. I'm shocked to see 5 votes for Dynasty's season 4 cliffhanger!:lol:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    I'm sure that was the intent. But everything on DYNASTY was already feeling so stuck on by Season 3, a point made more irritating by Esther's assertion they'd been copied -- made even more irritating given that this was year of DALLAS' most brilliant construction.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +202
    - I don´t mean the same day because both shows had different timeslots - I mean the same year ;)

- I absolut agree. Even Adam was in focus to kill Alexis. So the fire was less surprising than fire on Southfork.

• Agree Agree x 1