Best Line By A Non-Recurring Character In Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 16, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    By non-recurring I mean that the character only appeared during a particular storyline was going in and after the storyline was over, we never saw that character again. An example would be Naldo Marchetta because he only appeared during the storyline of Katherine hiring him to break up Bobby and Pam. Edgar Randolph would be another example. He only appeared in the storyline of JR blackmailing him over the bid amounts for the offshore leases. This is as opposed to someone like Jordan Lee who although some might say he was a minor character, he appeared on and off throughout Dallas.

My favorite line from a non-recurring character comes come from the character Dr. Hebert Styles - Kimberly Creider's father. The scene the line came from took place one time when JR went to Dr. Styles' house during the time period when Dr. Styles had been telling JR he'd back hm if he divorced Sue Ellen and married his daughter, Kimberly.

This time JR went to se him he told Dr. Styles that he found the condition of marrying Kimberly unacceptable, and said despite that, Dr. Styles would be better off backing JR anyway in his takeover bid for WestStar because if he didn't back JR, there would be a war for control of WestStar.

Dr. Styles said no, that JR had to marry Kimberly or he would fight JR's takeover attempt. It was a very good scene and I love the last line spoken by Dr. Styles in that scene to JR: "Men have tried to ride roughshod over me before. If you'd like, one day I'd be glad to show you their tombstones." That line is badass!

BTW, I don't remember the name of the actor, but whoever he was, he had been on Dallas before. The other role was smaller and I think the other character only appeared once or twice at the most. He was the guy that JR first talked to about the possibility of visiting Cuba and JR chose him to talk to because he'd been a politician who had experience in the Caribbean area.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Medals:
    This could be a fun thread!

My favorite lines are often spoken by people outside of J.R.'s influence. We get so wrapped up in how powerful J.R. is in his world, that it is refreshing (and almost funny) to see people who are outside his influence.

It's during the contest for Ewing Oil, where Jock's will split the company assets between J.R. and Bobby. Everybody in the office is hearing the results. Thornton McLeish comes in at the last minute to announce that he and Bobby struck oil.

Thornton barely notices J.R., and when he finally does, he does it so offhandedly that it's like he never heard of J.R. or his reputation:

"When Bobby invested with us, we were sure our fields would come in and come in big! What we couldn't tell was when they'd come in, and that was crucial to Bobby because of this contest with his brother. Hello J.R. And things looked pretty grim there for a while, but I'm here to give Bobby his check for $26 million."

BWHAHAHAHAHA! They way he just slipped the "Hello J.R" in the middle of his story! It's like he just noticed the cleaning woman standing there!

I love J.R, but that was hilarious.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    these are in a different vein, but some of the characters from the standalone episodes of season 1 had some wonderfully corny ones:

[​IMG]
    "This is the biggest thing to happen since the invention of the hot dog!"

[​IMG]
    "*You* freeze, turkeys!"

[​IMG]
    "We may have the wrong goose, but he can still lay the golden egg!"

[​IMG]
    "Pamela, do you remember me? You should, I'm your husband!"

Pam: "Ed?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    "There's nothing you can't buy - even my baby." - Rita Briggs (Season 2, Episode 5)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Medals:
    I don't know if Mr. Eugene (Bullock) counts, since he appeared twice in two different seasons, but I liked his comment to Kristin about telling the truth to JR, that she is not in love with him, but is with him for his money. Kristin feigns innocence and says that she is just JR's secretary and sister-in-law. Mr. Eugene responds by saying "When I give advice, smart people take it."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Governor Sam Culver told Ellie a great story when he visited Southfork about young Jock and Digger after one of their first big strikes:

"Digger come into town to drink the bar dry, buying for everybody. In come ol' Jock, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and hauled him out. That didn't set too good with the guys he was buying them for, so there ensued one of the finest brawls ever to take place west of the Mississippi. Gave 'em both a week in the pokey. Remember that, Jock?"

[​IMG]
    (it's nice having the early seasons on Amazon Prime for quick screencaps and quotes!)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Shhhhh. The entire series is on Daily Motion.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Aw, drat! It wasn't there, I think, when I bought the early seasons on Amazon some years back... and does it have transcripts and the cool cast info overlays? And downloadable for those pesky long plane flights made more tolerable with a little Double Wedding or The Outsiders action? At least I didn't buy those unreliable DVDs! ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Medals:
    Taylor Bennett, Jr.,
    I'm glad to see you using tiles instead of composition shingles, which cheapen the house.

From your friend,
    The Last Kid Picked

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    ha!!!

11. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Sgt. Henderson in CALL GIRL. (Claude Earl Jones also played Wally Hampton and Duke Carlisle).

On the phone with JR making small talk at the beginning of JR's request to put pressure on Amber. JR asks "They keepin' you busy".

"People just love doin' things they're not s'posed to do"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Yeah...I got the seasons on DVD as they came out. After a couple of times through, as usual there are a couple of episodes that just won't play. Ticks me off. In my experience, a lot of DVD's are that way...good for one or two plays then into the trash. Tape lasted longer (at a cost of quality of course).

13. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Medals:
    Luther Frick: "Now you're gonna give us a show, Miss Texas. Because I like to be entertained!"

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Do you know what it is about playing them that wears them out and makes some parts unplayable? It's just a laser beam, right? I don't see how that would wear out a DVD. It's not like records where there is a needle actually dragging on the vinyl, which causes wear.