Best old Hollywood male actor

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Emelee, May 3, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    Lots of focus on the women of the old Hollywood era - so I am wondering: who is your favorite male actor? Marlon Brando, James Stewart, James Dean, Paul Newman, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Montgomery Clift or any of the other mega stars of the 1930s-1950s?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    My favourite is Paul Muni who was Warner Brothers biggest star in the 1930 and 1940s. He starred in a film that many critics consider to be one of the greatest of all time: I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang and his performance in it is incredible. I've enjoyed him in every film I've seen him in and three other of my favourite films of his are The Story of Louis Pasteur, the original Scarface and The Life of Emile Zola. Appearing in just one of those film would make him a Hollywood great but appearing in all of them make him one of Hollywood's greatest. He was nominated for 5 Oscars, winning once. His last film was The Last Angry Man in 1959 for which he was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    I've never heard that name before, but the info on him that you provided sounds interesting. I'll check him out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,629
    I love Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, and Montgomery Clift. The one I like to look at the most though is John Gavin... Any excuse to post a photo.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,868
    James Dean, I guess. Everything about him is so enigmatic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    My favorites would be:

article-1052245-044CDCC50000044D-928_233x423.jpg
    Richard Burton
    He's got that magnetism, a type of charisma that is very intense. His speaking voice is sort of loud and clear. He can play many different roles and do so convincingly. I love his portrayal of Henry VIII in Anne of the Thousand Days (1969) but also as Mark Anthony in Cleopatra (1963) and his portrayal of the somewhat tortured minister in The Night of the Iguana (1965). He has also done a number of war movies such as for instance The Desert Rats (1953) where he plays British soldiers and he can do it all really. It's a pity he never won an Oscar.

larryyoungincoloromg.jpg
    Laurence Olivier
    He tends to play mostly Shakespearian roles of the male romantic lead in movies such as "Wuthering Heights" (1939). I also really enjoyed his interpretation of Lord Nelson in "That Hamilton Woman" (1941).
    ung-rebell-rebel-without-a-cause-james-dean-1955_a-G-9919906-4985769.jpg
    James Dean
    I love him as the young rebel in "Rebel Without a Cause" (1955), as Jett Rink in "Giants" (1956) and in "East of Eden" (1955). His tragic death has immortalized him as forever young.

elvis_presley-54661e739c533-l.png
    Elvis Presley
    I have watched almost all of his musical movies. They might not be the best plotwise but always very enjoyable to watch. I think Elvis was a better actor than he got credits for and if he had gotten better scripts he could have been remembered more for his acting than his singing!:elvis:

-howard-keel-famous-men.jpg
    Howard Keel
    To most of us he's Clayton Farlow on Dallas. But he did have a successful career in musical movies back in the 1950s where he was singing and dancing. He looked quite different back then but his voice is easy to recognize. I love him in movies such as "Showboat" (1951) and "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950).

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,868
    I can see why, very handsome indeed.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,629
    He was unbelievably good looking. I'm going to get a few more of his films very soon.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,868
    According to IMDB he played Cary Grant (another Old-Hollywood actor) in the movie "Sophia Loren: Her Own Story".

• Like Like x 1
  10. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    As far as actors go, I don't cling to them like I do the classic actresses. Speaking of the Golden Age, though, I guess I would have to go with the likes of John Wayne, Richard Burton, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Elvis, James Dean, and maybe few others. Like I said, the women attract me to the movies, not the men.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    My favourite male actors are from the 1930/40s on wards

the first is Gregory Peck - such a handsome man and a lovely actor in a variety of films

[​IMG]

and followed by Henry Fonda - again appeared in a variety of different roles

[​IMG]

they were both still making films at the end of their lives

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  12. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    my favorite is Mickey Rooney but there's plenty of of others i love such as william Powell, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney etc.. the list goes on from the golden days, after the 30's and 4o's there's a lot too. from the Silent era i'd say Lon Chaney Sr. of the many people i like male and female my list would be prolly 20 pages long lol

• Like Like x 3
  13. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    I've seen too little to pick a favorite, but I really do like Jimmy Stewart the best so far.

14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,346
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I always find amazing what is considered here as "old"...and "actor" too. So...here are my favorites.

If I had to name one, I´d choose a handsome actor who was a great actor too: Montgomery Clift, in movies such as "A Place in the Sun", "The Heiress", "I Confess" and a few more. Secondly, Paul Newman (quite a looker too). Especially in his movies from the 50´s & 60´s, and also from the 80´s: "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", "From the Terrace", "Sweet Bird of Youth", "The Verdict", "Harry & Son", etc.

From the Golden Era (prior to the 50´s), I´d go for Spencer Tracy, James Stewart, Cary Grant, and a few others. Oh and I have a soft spot for James Dean since my teen years...:love7:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    Some of these guys were really gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1