Bette Davis vs. Joan Crawford

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Mar 15, 2017.

?

Who do you prefer?

1. Bette Davis

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Joan Crawford

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Both

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Neither

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    From looking back over Joan's career... she was the flapper girl in the 20s, the romantic lead (think a more serious Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock) of the 30s.. and when she hit her mid 30s decided to work on becoming a character actress instead of doing shop girl/ romantic comedy pictures. She hit pay dirt in 1945 with Mildred Pierce that carried her career into the mid 50s before she got saddled with b level soap opera films of the late 50s. Sadly, her comeback in 1962 didn't result in quality films after that.. but she had always said that no matter what she got as a movie, she acted in it as if it was the greatest work of art ever.

While I do think she tried to sabatoge Bette winning the oscar for Baby Jane, I truly think she shouldn't have wasted her time because Bette would never have won the oscar anyway. Anne Bancroft was flawless in the Miracle Worker and didn't chew the sets like Bette did as Baby Jane and later as Charlotte. I much liked Bette better in the Nanny where she was more sinister and not so over the type.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Crawford laughing at the Duke's inadequate genitalia, suggesting an Oscar would better do the job, the viper.
    [​IMG]

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,161
    Well wasn't he really called Mary or Francis or Mary Susan Francis Feminina?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Oh, that's right. His birth name was Marion. Heh.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Maybe I wouldn't say "disposable," actually -- at least I SAW WHAT YOU DID presents a cozily idyllic, B&W semi-rural alternative reality at midnight, what with the split-level house on a hill in the middle of a really cool farm... and Castle even uses a very effective fog in the latter scenes which makes me wonder why none of the other grand dame guignol pictures ever did that -- not even CHARLOTTE.

ISWYD at least show that William Castle, though far from a good director, could do atmosphere when he felt like it. But mostly I tend to think of Castle along the same lines as Aaron Spelling: a competent producer good at getting the right cast, and a big star, together for some high concept, outrageous production, but then stumbling on the details
    due to a lack of any real creative vision.

But why oh why was STRAIT-JACKET, perhaps the Castle production with the most potential, one of his very worst films? The direction, camera work, set design, script, editing is just all so crappy the movie is ruined... And Castle wanted this to be his crowning glory??? But I really do wonder that if he'd gotten Joe Biroc to film it (as he did for ISWYD) if STRAIT-JACKET could have been somewhat saved.

Anyway, despite not getting enough screen time, the Crawford we get in ISWYD is almost the ultimate Crawford ever captured on film -- the one which could have crowned her own glory had she instead displayed and not extracted it from CHARLOTTE where she was dressed and photographed exactly the same way.
    [​IMG]

Sounds like Patti Page -- or a close facsimile -- she had the 1965 hit song of it, done all period cascading strings-y.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    It is Patti Page!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,161
    I've found a seller on eBay selling some old movies, some in the public domain and some not. They are all very cheap and there are a few Crawford, Davis and even Stanwyck and Hayward films that I haven't really heard of.
    Is Bette Davis' THE STAR any good?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Yes, THE STAR is not bad -- it's essentially Davis playing Crawford.

The writers had been friends with Joan, and, feeling betrayed by the content of the script, Joan whisked off their daughter and the guy she wanted to marry (but of whom the parents didn't approve) and got them married, for spite. But the joke was on Crawford as the marriage was a happy one and lasted for decades.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    IMHO it is, because of everybody involved, and closer to reality than one would think. As you must know, it´s allegedly inspired by Joan Crawford´s later career*, and Bette pulls another big performance, more realistic than her best-known roles. It´s not "All About Eve", probably because of its low budget and its mediocre director. A very young Natalie Wood plays Bette´s daughter (and again, she has to act by the sea and in a boat...).

*This is what Bette said about it:
    "Bette Davis reported that she modeled her performance as the aging, has been, drunken 'star' actress in the film after Joan Crawford, a real actress who was Bette Davis' contemporary, competition, and a lifelong enemy which she publicly ridiculed throughout both their careers; to what extent this is true could be argued, but there's no question about her wearing the famous Crawford ankle strap shoes when she views her disastrous screen test."

Oh and the writers were friends of Joannie. Who, of course, after the release of this movie, finished the friendship right away...Just another omitted chapter of "Feud". It´s not over-the-top or campy, but thoroughly enjoyable!!

[​IMG] upload_2018-5-31_18-47-57.jpeg

Sue Ellen would have loved it...​

• Like Like x 3

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)