1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Little Lies

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Justine, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I'm surely not the only one obsessed with this series. The second season has been as dramatic as the first and Meryl Streep's presence as Mary Louise is a whole new level.

2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,667
    I haven´t watched it (yet) but every time I think about it, the word "opportunistic" crosses my mind...don´t know why...

:spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::re:

3. Justine

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Opportunistic? Elaborate...

4. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,667
    Well, just a feeling from reading the stars´ interviews when the show ended its first (and then only) season. They are obviously trying to get the most out of its success, and there was no follow-up to the original novel. If "The Handmaid´s Tale" can go on after telling their source book story (and very well), I think it's quite opportunistic from everybody involved to do a second season...as a way to join the #metoo movement.

I haven't watched it yet, and I may probably end up loving it too, but the mere fact of casting such a big name as Meryl Streep proves they were insecure of their new material. And I also think that what "BLL" told in its first season wasn't a new story: it was "Desperate Housewives" meets "Knots Landing" with a touch of "Sex and the City", with a cast of big names, all of them good in their roles but the whole thing seemed to me a pretentious though enjoyable pseudo-soap.

5. Justine

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I understand what you mean, it's very easy to assume it would be. Someone described it to me as "a show that documents the different types of abuse women suffer" and it was one of the reasons I was resistant to watch, but it's actually so much more.

Meryl's presence is incredible - I'm a fan, shock - but she only adds to the quality of the work. I've seen Desperate Housewives and Sex and the City and I personally feel they're shallow shows, whereas Big Little Lies delves much deeper. You may think it's complete bullshit but I really do think you should watch. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,569
    That applies to almost every soap.
    Well, I wouldn't say BLL delves deeper than DH, it was fun and addictive and that's good enough for me.

7. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,667
    Don´t be mistaken, I did enjoy the first season but all the flashbacks thingie didn´t belong to the same genre of show than the rest of it. I agree that it delves (a little) deeper, and I don´t think it´s complete BS at all! It was great viewing but there are too many truly deep shows nowadays that BLL eventually seemed to be a bit contrived, especially the way (as I mentioned above) of milking out a second season. I´m sure Meryl will be incredible but I have the feeling I know where the plot will be heading to...and that it will diminish the value of the first season at mid-term. Oh and Shailene Woodley should change her last name to Wooden. And I liked her so much in the "Divergent" saga...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    So I'm not the only one who see the similarities to "Knots Landing" and "Desperate Housewives". Madeline's last name is Mackenzie for Pete's sake; she strikes me as a cross between Karen Mackenzie and Lynnette Scavo. This season's plot definitely owes more to Marc Cherry than to Dostoevsky.

I don't know that "BLL" has much more depth than "DH"; "DH" did have some moments of depth amidst all the soap bubbles and humor. "DH" also had Felicity Huffman who is as fine an actress as any in the cast of "BLL"; I hope she returns to the big or small screen once her current "issues" have been resolved.

9. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +977
    I Love love love LBL first season. Just watched dit last week. It's amazing. Season 2 was good, but not as good. Bonnie and Jane plots were boring (at least in my standards) but Celeste, Maddie, Renata, and Mary-Louise were quite interesting.

10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,596
    I am glad they continued, I felt there was much more story to tell for them. Now, after s2, I feel as though there isn't enough for a third season. Loved s2 though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I adored this show, especially season 2.

One thing is does show is that they rebooted the wrong series with Dallas and Dynasty. There is a real appetite for a Knots Landing, female led show which isn't OTT.